• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the best innings you have ever seen

tooextracool

International Coach
Its a pity that Marlon Samuels was a rather poor test match batsman though despite that knock. Will probably always be one if he bats with that kind of footwork anyways.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In person at the ground, you mean?

If so, Matt Hayden's 181* against NZ.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There are so many.

• Laxman's double hundred at Calcutta.
  • Laxman's first test hundred in Australia.
  • Gavaskar's double century while chasing 400 plus in England.
  • Gavaskar's last Test innings - 95 on a minefield of a wicket against Pakistan.
  • Vishwanath's debut hundred in Kanpur against Lawry's Australians.
  • Sachin's hundred against the visiting Australians in Bombay.
  • Sachin's first Test hundred in England.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ian Botham at Headingley in 1981 - so brutal and unexpected - couldn't describe it as the best batting I have ever seen but I found it utterly compelling to watch and know I will never see a more memorable knock

Precambrian

Banned
A bit travesty of me I indulge in by picking an ODI innings!

But that 143 of Sachin Tendulkar in Sharjah (fondly allured to as Desert Storm) had all the elements of romanticism. A huge target, pressure game (some target to be reached in some overs to make it to finals), lack of support staff, ever withering pitch, heat, and a sudden desert storm which threatened to cancel the game, inspite of all that one man stood fast. And he was all of 25.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Laxman's 281 at Eden Gardens in Kolkata (the then Calcutta)...Following on against the best side in the world and then helping his team to win from there (obviously with a huge help from Dravid)...That too against bowlers like McGrath and Warne...The stuff only dreams are made of...

And I was lucky enough to be present there in the ground for 5 days...Just when the partnership betwen Laxman and Dravid started, one spectator mockingly commented the partnership will make India win the match...Never met him after the match ended...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Laxman's 281 at Eden Gardens in Kolkata (the then Calcutta)...Following on against the best side in the world and then helping his team to win from there (obviously with a huge help from Dravid)...That too against bowlers like McGrath and Warne...The stuff only dreams are made of...

And I was lucky enough to be present there in the ground for 5 days...Just when the partnership betwen Laxman and Dravid started, one spectator mockingly commented the partnership will make India win the match...Never met him after the match ended...
Yeah, that has to be up there with the greatest innings of all time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
There are so many.
  • Laxman's double hundred at Calcutta.
  • Laxman's first test hundred in Australia.
  • Gavaskar's double century while chasing 400 plus in England.
  • Gavaskar's last Test innings - 95 on a minefield of a wicket against Pakistan.
  • Vishwanath's debut hundred in Kanpur against Lawry's Australians.
  • Sachin's hundred against the visiting Australians in Bombay.
  • Sachin's first Test hundred in England.
Surprised to not see Sachin's 136 against Pak in 1998 in that list.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Some of the best innings that I have watched have been played @ the Eden Gardens, Kolkata by my one of most favorite player Azharuddin and perhaps my most favorite Indian batsman:-

His 182 in 197 balls against England in 1993 was a fantastic inning .
141 Vs. Pakistan in 1987
His Debut match where he scored a century against England

And Last but not the least, his 100 in 70 balls against the SA attack.

Azza, you were my favorite player, why did you do it man. Why ???

Slifer

International Captain
For mine:

Lara 153*, 213, 277 against Australia.

176 and 196 against RSa, 221 and 130 vs Sri Lanka etc etc etc