• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tests take second place to T20

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Meh, we've already seen Dhoni choose to rest himself out of a Test series, and to be honest I don't think this is as bad as thaty. Better to re-schedule a match than to force players to choose between their bank accounts and their country.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally, I think this is a terrible development for the game.
I dare say someone might challenge you on that view just to stimulate a bit of debate on this thread but if it turns out anyone seriously disagrees with you I will find that depressing

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's good news in a way. Not suggesting he would of course... but you wouldn't want Hayden, for example, deciding to retire and play for the money.

The best thing for these T20 leagues is surely to get a programme sorted out where things don't overlap. You obviously would have to lose some other things, and you don't want it to be tests, (better to be champions trophy, cutting the length of some of these 7-ODI series etc) but atm you can't cancel series or tournaments that are already planned.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Disappointing as it appears to be little more than a poorly put together friendly comp with no real importance.

I think the Champions League concept was suggested well before people had to make it a reality. It isnt a bad idea but progress should have been staggered and it implimented in a year or 2 time.

Very rushed job and all over the place. Almost a joke comp IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
AWTA, it is a good idea but these things need to be done at least a season in advance. The fact that it's now August and it was supposed to be played in September/October tells you how much they have rushed it. It could be a really good tournament, but now we've seen a Test moved and Middlesex will be a couple of players down

grapedo

Banned
AWTA, it is a good idea but these things need to be done at least a season in advance. The fact that it's now August and it was supposed to be played in September/October tells you how much they have rushed it. It could be a really good tournament, but now we've seen a Test moved and Middlesex will be a couple of players down
Is geraint Jones really your hero if so he is a muppet

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I dare say someone might challenge you on that view just to stimulate a bit of debate on this thread but if it turns out anyone seriously disagrees with you I will find that depressing
Twenty five years ago, O'Reilly had prophesied (in his autobiography) that the limited overs game might, unless checked and modified, spell trouble of the game as it has been played for two centuries. He must be banging his head against the wall of his coffin.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think this is really much of a surprise. We've all known this day is coming.

As alluded to, this thing has been rushed through and that's where these problems have resulted from. It doesn't always have to be like this - in time a window can be carved for the IPL and the CL. It will mean the international calender has to be slightly reduced, but that's been needed for a long time too.

As I say - what I hope is that it means international Twenty20, along with spurious ODI "offshore" tournaments and isolated (ie, not alongside a Test series) bilaterals, are the thing abolished. Neither are neccessary any more with the IPL\ChampLg.

Precambrian

Banned
What's so "Oh holy Cow! How can they do this to TESTS!" about this? They didn't cancel any tests! They only rescheduled them!!! Too much of paranoia going on.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think this is really much of a surprise. We've all known this day is coming.

As alluded to, this thing has been rushed through and that's where these problems have resulted from. It doesn't always have to be like this - in time a window can be carved for the IPL and the CL. It will mean the international calender has to be slightly reduced, but that's been needed for a long time too.

As I say - what I hope is that it means international Twenty20, along with spurious ODI "offshore" tournaments and isolated (ie, not alongside a Test series) bilaterals, are the thing abolished. Neither are neccessary any more with the IPL\ChampLg.
I really don't think this will ever happen, Rich. People who like T20 will always want to see their side play it internationally and as such it will always have a place. I would say ODIs are more likely to fall by the wayside - though I don't think that that will happen, either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - I hope this desire will fade as the Twenty20 enthusiasts get full-on into the IPL.

You really couldn't wish for a better Twenty20 competition than that. The Twenty20 game was made for the IPL.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
As I say - I hope this desire will fade as the Twenty20 enthusiasts get full-on into the IPL.

You really couldn't wish for a better Twenty20 competition than that. The Twenty20 game was made for the IPL.
True.

Craig

World Traveller
What's so "Oh holy Cow! How can they do this to TESTS!" about this? They didn't cancel any tests! They only rescheduled them!!! Too much of paranoia going on.
Yeah but people are looking at as a precedent, if you start rescheduling Tests, then why not down the track start cancelling, instead of a 4 Test series to a 3 Test series, or a 3 into 2? What is to stop a board like the NZC going "CBF" to Tests at home and just replacing it with ODIs or T20 because it is worth well more money to them? That is what I think anyway, so you think I'm talking out of my arse, then I probably am.

Regardless I think it is crap that a team would consider going into a three Test series against Australia off the back of a pointless two day warm-up game against a bunch of WA randoms. We saw what happened to India last summer and I'll lay my avatar on the line and tip that is what will happen to South Africa in the 1st Test. I just don't see how you can hope to compete if you don't have the proper adjustments for the conditions you are going to play in.

Anyway I move to put Manan Shah (Silentstriker) in charge of the ICC along with his vast collection of shot guns.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well this is clearly the BCCI's fault.
Of course it is, the Champions League is their tournament, not the ICC's! If ICC had been in charge, ICL players would have been allowed and all would be so much better!