• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are South Africa the real deal?

grapedo

Banned
Do South africa ahve what it takes to overthrow Australia this summer and start a new era in cricket ? what are your thoughts ?

Swervy

International Captain
Do South africa ahve what it takes to overthrow Australia this summer and start a new era in cricket ? what are your thoughts ?

Not convinced. I thought the bowling was a big let down this (English) summer, against a team who are having some issues in the batting department. The batting side of things for SA is looking fairly solid though.

Australia should be able to triumph.

grapedo

Banned
Not convinced. I thought the bowling was a big let down this (English) summer, against a team who are having some issues in the batting department. The batting side of things for SA is looking fairly solid though.

Australia should be able to triumph.
I am I think that the bowling is terrific remember steyn was injured for half the series. Look at how they bowled against India and Nz that shows me thay're the best bowling wise

Swervy

International Captain
I am I think that the bowling is terrific remember steyn was injured for half the series. Look at how they bowled against India and Nz that shows me thay're the best bowling wise

Yeah Steyn was out most of the time, but to be fair, he looked pretty flat in that first test anyway. On paper a very good bowling team (with a bad weakness if they are ever going to need a spinner) who didnt really cut it vs England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The flat pitches in Australia, if we get such a thing as we have for most of the last 7 years, should see both bowling-attacks struggle. I certainly hope that's the case.

Unless Andre Nel's involved, obviously, in which case I hope he (along with Stuart Clark obviously) does well.

grapedo

Banned
Yeah Steyn was out most of the time, but to be fair, he looked pretty flat in that first test anyway. On paper a very good bowling team (with a bad weakness if they are ever going to need a spinner) who didnt really cut it vs England.
Yeah that their only problem but they will find one and australai aren't getting any better

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The flat pitches in Australia, if we get such a thing as we have for most of the last 7 years, should see both bowling-attacks struggle. I certainly hope that's the case.

Unless Andre Nel's involved, obviously, in which case I hope he (along with Stuart Clark obviously) does well.
You want to watch a lot of high-scoring games? :unsure:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No.

South Africa's bowling attack isn't good enough to consistently trouble Australia.

Bowling in seam friendly conditions to an out of form Strauss, Collingwood and Bell is vastly different to bowling at Hayden, Ponting and Hussey on flat pitches.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
No, their bowling was very poor indeed in England IMO, it got made to look better by our batting.

On the other hand, they batted very well indeed, but that isn't enough, and I expect Australia to win, despite sometimes struggling to take twenty wickets themselves.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not particularly, but nor do I want to watch several relatively-moderate-to-downright-poor bowlers gorging themselves on bad batting and\or green pitches.
And all the potential bowlers involved, outside of Stuart Clark and Andre Nel, are relatively-moderate-to-downright-poor? Your bias toward Nel is particularly uncanny.

itduzz

Banned
Problems for Aus is how will they take wickets during middle overs....If SA plays Lee welll, then its all curtains for Aus....8-)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Michael Clarke to be top wicket taker of the series.

The Indian "masters of spin" can't handle him, so there's no chance that the South Africans will. :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And all the potential bowlers involved, outside of Stuart Clark and Andre Nel, are relatively-moderate-to-downright-poor? Your bias toward Nel is particularly uncanny.
Well Nel has been decidedly moderate for much of the time since his 2005/06 games against Australia too - I said that did I not? I'm beginning to think it'd be best for Nel if he never played another Test, I'm beginning to despair of him ever managing to get that nagging line back again.

Aside from Clark, and obviously Lee, all the bowlers likely to be involved in that series have so far proven unconvincing. And clearly I'd like to see Lee return to mediocrity - whether he does we wait to see.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why would you want a clearly enormously improved bowler return to mediocrity? For a man who champions justice in this sport, you are extremely choosy.

Swervy

International Captain
Why would you want a clearly enormously improved bowler return to mediocrity? For a man who champions justice in this sport, you are extremely choosy.
I think we all know the reason why...he doesn't champion justice in the way most others see justice, it is his justice. Because he probably thinks Lee's success recently is merely a fluke, and Nel's mediocrity (and to be fair Nel has been pretty average throughout his career) recently as an anomoly, he wants it to pan out like that in the future, no matter whether Lee bowls well or not.

I don't know why he follows the sport to be honest, he seems to relish a players failings as opposed to celebrating a players successes. Its not what I would call enjoying the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think we all know the reason why...he doesn't champion justice in the way most others see justice, it is his justice. Because he probably thinks Lee's success recently is merely a fluke
No, not a fluke (he's earned it 100%) but something that was odd TSTL. I can't say I much like a player being utterly rubbish for ages and ages then suddenly becoming sensationally brilliant. And if Lee goes on for the next couple of years the way he's been carrying-on the last 6 months, that'll be exactly what'll have happened in his case.
and Nel's mediocrity (and to be fair Nel has been pretty average throughout his career) recently as an anomoly
No, Nel's recent poorness (and yes, he was indeed much better earlier in his career) is something I'm beginning to come around to being sadly more of a long-term thing.
he wants it to pan out like that in the future, no matter whether Lee bowls well or not.
Nonsense. If Lee bowls well, I wish him all the best with the likely-accompanying success. But I don't really want him to bowl well - I'd much prefer him to bowl poorly.
I don't know why he follows the sport to be honest, he seems to relish a players failings as opposed to celebrating a players successes. Its not what I would call enjoying the game.
Rubbish.