• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andy Flintoff?

Rich2001

International Captain
Could someone please explain how Andy Flintoff has been ruled out of the 2nd Test vs Zim, YET was able to play in the C&G Cup match yesterday against Durham (scoring 31 from 29) and has been named in the 12 man squad that faces Kent @ Canterbury tommorow in the County Championship but isn't fit to play for England?

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He only batted, and couldn't bowl (or throw) - like Chris Cairns somewhat.

He can command a place in the Lancashire team as a batsman and slip fielder but not in the England side.

All cleared up :)

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
He only batted, and couldn't bowl (or throw) - like Chris Cairns somewhat.

He can command a place in the Lancashire team as a batsman and slip fielder but not in the England side.

All cleared up :)
But you use excatly the same actions to throw the bat around, as you would throwing or bowling...

I mean the trouble is in his shoulder and obviously the pain is so great when it's moved as in throwing the ball to a team mate, yet how can you suddenly be so uneffected while batting? afterall batting is probley worse in the shocks going through the arm and swinging / streachting to reach a wide delivery etc

Or iam I just being stupid?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not the same really.

I dislocated my shoulder many years ago. Couldn't bowl all season, but could bat inside 4 weeks (ok, I could never 'bat' but I could slog).

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Because he is a front on bowler he uses his shoulders to bowl. Batting you should put most stress on your trunk and legs.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Since he's got a central contract, if there was any doubt about his fitness, they wouldn't let him play!

Langeveldt

Soutie
After doing the cartilage in my knee, i would say bowling puts waaaaaaay more strain on you, and anyway you can adapt a bit when you bat....

Although im very surprised he was allowed to play, a fit trescothick only bats a handful of times for Somerset in the season :(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He certainly seems to be enjoying it - although it's an average to poor opposition, 125 from 125 isn't too bad going!

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
He certainly seems to be enjoying it - although it's an average to poor opposition, 125 from 125 isn't too bad going!
I don't recall them doing that badly vs Warwicks and we reduced them to 65/5, so seems a silly comment that the bowlers are bad.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich2001 said:
I don't recall them doing that badly vs Warwicks and we reduced them to 65/5, so seems a silly comment that the bowlers are bad.
It's a wind-up, Rich.

Marc's in 'Mohammad Ali' mode.

The figures 12, 0, 124 and 4 (in that order) will NEVER have such meaning again - I promise!!!