• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England ODI squad

Eclipse

International Debutant
Michael Vaughan (capt), Marcus Trescothick, Vikram Solanki, Anthony McGrath, Robert Key, Andrew Flintoff, Chris Read (wk), Richard Johnson, Darren Gough, Ashley Giles, James Anderson, Steve Harmison, Rikki Clarke, Jim Troughton, Kabir Ali.

What do you guys think I think there are a few really good decisions there and a few not so good ones like Harmison.

I have always thoough Key and Solanki were much better suited to FC cricket than One dayers so there selection supprises me.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
My gast has rarely been more flabbered.

I watched Johnson yesterday and
1. He's not fit
2. He's not fit
and what's more
3. He's not fit

Should fit in well, then

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
with the personel they are missing they couldnt afford to leave out someone like robert key.
thats probably about the best possible squad they could have picked.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Tad surprised at no Butcher, and can't see what Clarke's done to justify selection.

Obviously picking only one keeper who is likely to be injured for the 3 match series vs. Pakistan is an interesting move.

Langeveldt

Soutie
God :lol:

Solanki, McGrath, Key - I wouldnt want them in my middle order..

Would rather have Ian Bell or Mark Butcher

Nuff said about Harmison, would rather have Mullally instead of Kabir Ali, but hes young i suppose......

Glad to see read in there instead of foster....

V Reddy

International Debutant
Eclipse said:
Michael Vaughan (capt), Marcus Trescothick, Vikram Solanki, Anthony McGrath, Robert Key, Andrew Flintoff, Chris Read (wk), Richard Johnson, Darren Gough, Ashley Giles, James Anderson, Steve Harmison, Rikki Clarke, Jim Troughton, Kabir Ali.

What do you guys think I think there are a few really good decisions there and a few not so good ones like Harmison.

I have always thoough Key and Solanki were much better suited to FC cricket than One dayers so there selection supprises me.
Whenever i see Solanki's scores or hear BBC's Online commentary he looks like an attacking player to me. I haven't seen him play so maybe i am missing something. I have heard Botham, Lloyd and some others saying that he is unlucky b'coz he mostly plays om damp pitches and he replied saying that if Hick can score runs then he should be able to score too and said he owed it to his bad selection of shots rather than the pitches. I liked that attitude of him as he was not complaining about other factors. Also good to see Troughton, Read :D and Harmison in there.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Yes he is an attacking player.

But he seems to be like M. Slater who for some unknown reason aint much of a One Day Player.

Thats my take on it anyway and of couse I am not English so my views are probably not quite up to the mark as far as players current form goes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
And still the bagging of McGrath continues, and I still cannot work out why it does so?

Can someone please explain to me what he's done to offend you all?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And still the bagging of McGrath continues, and I still cannot work out why it does so?

Can someone please explain to me what he's done to offend you all?
Plays for Yorkshire, aka 'The Surrey of the North'?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm, Harmison? Why? He's not got the accuracy for One Day International Cricket, even Durham rarely play him in OD cricket...

Key is another odd one, he's scored very slowly in Test Cricket and never built on some decent starts, in ODIs your supposed to score quickly...

Clarke...HE'S A BATSMAN WHO BOWLS A BIT!!! WHEN WILL THEY UNDERSTAND HE IS NOT ND ALL-ROUNDER???

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It IMO goes to show the lack of depth of talent in the English game.

The nine most obvious omissions I can think of are:
Will Jefferson
James Foster
Ian Blackwell
Mark Butcher
Ian Bell
Graham Thorpe
Adam Hollioake
James Kirtley
Matthew Hoggard

Jefferson, granted, has some to go. I don't know why we've picked an injured wicketkeeper. Trescothick to cover v Pakistan? Blackwell must count himself very unlucky to miss out for Key and Solanki, Butcher will never play an ODI, Bell hasn't made a good score in years, Thorpe won't be here in 2007 (I don't think), Hollioake I don't get, Kirtley must be gutted to be passed over for Harmison, and Hoggard I think is being rested.

Harmison is a bizarre selection for ODIs in my book - coming from one of his staunchest supporters in the longer game - he will bowl too many wides. Rikki Clarke wouldn't be in the squad if he played for Glamorgan and Key is lucky to make the squad - what's he like in the NUL Rich?

Harmison/Clarke/Key ... Kirtley/Hollioake/Blackwell

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think Harmison is being selected as a way of keeping him with the English National coaches and to boost his confidence?

V Reddy

International Debutant
Yeah why was Blackwell dropped? He performed quite well atleast with the ball:O . I agree with the selection of Harmison though :P . Also good to see Johnson in too.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
It IMO goes to show the lack of depth of talent in the English game.

The nine most obvious omissions I can think of are:
Will Jefferson
James Foster
Ian Blackwell
Mark Butcher
Ian Bell
Graham Thorpe
Adam Hollioake
James Kirtley
Matthew Hoggard
My thoughts excatly. What the hell is has Adam Hollioake done wrong???

PY

International Coach
Don't at all understand why Mark Butcher doesn't get picked :O, even he says he fed up of the question "Who's the most capped Test player yet to play a ODI?". It just beggars belief. Also I heard that Read was injured for a while with a broken finger on the radio in a interview with the Notts coach. Who's going to keep otherwise?

The rest I'd say is mostly ok except for possibly Harmison because it is obvious he isn't suited to the OD format but I think the comment about him being in with the coaches and improving his confidence make sense. Only other query is about Hollioake with a batting average of 25 and bowling of 31 for England in ODI he hasn't really flopped. Bit surprised he hasn't played since 1999, seems like only yesterday........I'm getting old :(

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
I don't know why we've picked an injured wicketkeeper. Trescothick to cover v Pakistan?
Nope they have already said that if Read doesn't get fit in time, J.Foster is on standby and will come in for him.

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
My gast has rarely been more flabbered.

I watched Johnson yesterday and
1. He's not fit
2. He's not fit
and what's more
3. He's not fit

Should fit in well, then
Iam confused here, I always thought that injury was a must to make our team :saint:

Rich2001

International Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Key is lucky to make the squad - what's he like in the NUL Rich?
Like I said on MSN Neil....

As for Harmison iam quite happy to let the guy have another go, ok he couldn't have had a much worse start to his ODI but as they say "things can only get better" and i've been plesently surprised by the way he has been bowling this summer, his been one of the most econical in the whole of the country, and I can't really see any of Zim, Pak, SA with majory aggressive openers/top order (bar maybe Gibbs) now-a-days, unlike Australia and SL had so he shouldn't really be put under much pressure and he should be able to play his normal game. Iam still not convinced but Iam happy to let him try and redeem himself, afterall his going to play anyway so I might as well back him.

Also you have to remember that both C.White and P.Collingwood are nearly certian to return after injuries, so a couple of those players are only going to be short term cover.

Last edited: