• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Up and coming New Zealand Players

NZ Selector

Cricket Spectator
New Zealand is in a rebuilding stage looking ahead to the next world cup. Who are some cricketers who are up and coming stars in the NZ game? After Trent Boult and Corey Anderson's showings in the Emerging players tournament these two look like shining lights for the future.

My team for the 2011 world cup

NZ Starting XI

B. McCullum+
J. How
R. Taylor
M. Guptill
J. Ryder
J. Oram
C. Anderson
D. Vettori*
K. Mills
T. Southee
T. Boult

Other Squad Members
M. Gillespe
J. Franklin
J. Patel
D. Flynn
J. Myburgh

Other Possibilities
C. Merchant
G. Elliot
P. Fulton
N. Broom
BJ Watling
B. Hiini

Jakester1288

International Regular
Jesse Ryder is a gun. I have never seen him play in the flesh, but I have heard alot about him, and he is potentially a big player of the future.

Flem274*

123/5
Which selector are you? :p

In any case, a bit silly putting Martin Guptill, an opener, at four. I'd also suggest Fulton ahead of Myburgh, easily.

I quite like the team we have atm. They all deserve to be there so newcomers will have to force their way in.

McCullum
Ryder
How
Taylor
Styris
Oram
Elliott
Vettori
Franklin
Mills
Southee

Only question marks imo are Styris (possible retirement) and Franklin (needs to improve). I'd have Fulton for Styris if he retired and Boult or Arnel in for Franklin if Franklin proved a liability.

In any case, the WC is ages away, who knows what might happen. There are already a few threads like this iirc so could a mod shift it?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Get Styris and Elliot out of there Phlegm, this is the 2011 WC we're talking about. Replace with Anderson (though would preferably get a bit more time at domestic) and Hay.

Flem274*

123/5
Get Styris and Elliot out of there Phlegm, this is the 2011 WC we're talking about. Replace with Anderson (though would preferably get a bit more time at domestic) and Hay.
Styris could still be playing then, he'd be 36 so it could be his swansong. Plus he's good on lower, slower pitches, which will probably be frequent in the subcontinent so I'd back him to do well.

And Elliott is awesome, saves our arses with both bat and ball and can gain us the advantage as well. Doesn't deserve to be dropped unless someone posts huge numbers in List A or he plays like ****.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Styris has been rubbish lately and has a pretty poor attitude in all. Soon as he goes through a bad run I want him gone, we have enough talent to cover up for him now. as for Elliot, he's fine cover but he's not a guy I'd want in our starting XI.

Flem274*

123/5
Styris has been rubbish lately and has a pretty poor attitude in all. Soon as he goes through a bad run I want him gone, we have enough talent to cover up for him now. as for Elliot, he's fine cover but he's not a guy I'd want in our starting XI.
I'm Elliotts new fanboy for ODIs, and I reckon he deserves his place atm.

Styris showed form at the end of the England tour, and as long as his attitude isn't causing a team mutiny then I don't care what his attitude is like, he's there to score runs.

Just because we have the talent to cover for him doesn't mean we have to expose it, it would be nice to have sustained depth for a change.

Flem274*

123/5
We still have depth outside of one man I reckon.
Isn't it great?:happy:

Still, imo I think Styris and Elliott stay for now.

The WC is ages away anyway, plans for it now should only be very general, decide on specifics when we're closer to it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Isn't it great?:happy:

Still, imo I think Styris and Elliott stay for now.

The WC is ages away anyway, plans for it now should only be very general, decide on specifics when we're closer to it.
Soon as Ryder and Franklin are fit I'd like to see some heads on the chopping bloke. ;)

Broom is better than Guptill, Anderson and Elliot. I'm convinced of that.
Fair call.

Flem274*

123/5
Broom is better than Guptill, Anderson and Elliot. I'm convinced of that.
You're the guy who went and watched his 92 in the Emerging Players Tournament aren't you?

In any case, it wouldn't surprise me if you're right. Elliott is a number 7, and thats his place, Guptill and Anderson are both fairly new, and Broom is a talented, experienced player who really should have gone to England ahead of Flynn and especially Marshall (alot of players should have been ahead of Flynn and Marshall.).