• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Up and coming New Zealand Players

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised nobody has commented about the Under 19's touring England at the moment, would have thought this was the perfect place to discuss the possible Black Caps of the future. We took a beating in the 1st Test thanks to centuries from Redfern, Smith and Dawson but managed to draw the 2nd, mainly due to Kane Williamson's innings' of 75 and 151. England won the 1st ODI, with the 2nd being washed out and the 3rd a tie (what is it with NZ-Eng and close finishes) while the 4th game is coming up on Thursday, hopefully we can level the series before the decider.

A few of the NZ blokes have already played FC cricket, Williamson obviously being the most talked about. Greg Morgan has hit 83* for Auckland and George Worker has a 71 for Central Districts. Two Bracewell's in the touring party too - Doug and Michael (who I've played rugby against, and he is very good at that too)

Woodster

International Captain
Just watching the 4th under 19 ODI and NZ in some trouble at 39-4. Thought this was a good opportunity to watch some of the emerging players from both sides, and in the NZ side was particularly looking forward to having a look at Kane Williamson. Look fairly solid so far, only 4 not out mind, but things crumbling around him in light of some decent opening bowling from James Harris and Ian Saxelby.

Flem274*

123/5
Not surprised NZ are struggling. Off the top of my head, Williamson and Worker are the only real genuine prospects there. A shame Anderson isn't there (not sure if Fraser Colson is there either, he looked a good prospect from what I saw of him last year).

The seam/swing bowling will probably suffer-Southee isn't there and I don't think Boult is either. That means we get to enjoy the amazing Greg Morgan, who scores more runs than takes wickets, and Anarug Verma, the dibbly dobbly.

Hope the team can hit back and shut me up though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Andy Pick, England's Under-19 coach when discussing New Zealand's Under-19 side, said Kane Williamson would go all the way and there spinner, Nick Beard looked a talent. No one else got much of a mention.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting. I know Williamson is class but had never really heard much about Beard.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting. I know Williamson is class but had never really heard much about Beard.
Pick said pratically all the English batsman found Beard really tough to face and more importantly get away. Dipak Patel also said his got a future.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not a bad effort considering the English team was on average older and more experienced than our lot (especially given Anderson and Boult weren't there). It's good to see that we're actually sending our U19's away on a few tours now, best way for them to learn.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
To draw the series in England was a decent effort, considering the team we had was mainly geared towards the next world cup, as opposed to the English team which were basically all at the last world cup.

5 players in the NZ team are eligible for the 2010 WC, along with Corey who's obviously a huge player at under 19 level. None from the English team were as far as I know.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Williamson will play in the 2011 World Cup IMO. He looked a genuine class batsmen, as opposed to many of the compromise selections ('we have no-one remotely near a world-class top-order bat, so we'll pick Bell/Sinclair/Marshall') that we've seen over the past few years.

Liked Beard as well, although his reaction looked a little Abdur Razzak-like (with more flight though). You see loads of impressive spinners at under-19 level however and many go nowhere.