• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Up and coming New Zealand Players

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ideally, what you want for a World Cup is a team with experience. You don't really want to be introducing new players 6 months before the tournament begins. For that reason, I'd pick the following side

Ryder
McCullum
How
Taylor
Styris
Oram
Elliot
Vettori
Franklin (if his improvement in ODI's continues)/Patel
Mills
Southee

Anderson, and to a lesser extent Boult, are impressive prospects for the longer run, but by 2011, Anderson will have only barely turned 20, so I couldn't really see him being introduced in time, and Boult hasn't even played a first class match yet.

Hay, Broom, Nicol and van Wyk are all players who are on the fringe, and could well get a shot if one or more of the players in that team either succombs to injury or a loss of form.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Ideally, what you want for a World Cup is a team with experience. You don't really want to be introducing new players 6 months before the tournament begins. For that reason, I'd pick the following side

Ryder
McCullum
How
Taylor
Styris
Oram
Elliot
Vettori
Franklin (if his improvement in ODI's continues)/Patel
Mills
Southee

Anderson, and to a lesser extent Boult, are impressive prospects for the longer run, but by 2011, Anderson will have only barely turned 20, so I couldn't really see him being introduced in time, and Boult hasn't even played a first class match yet.

Hay, Broom, Nicol and van Wyk are all players who are on the fringe, and could well get a shot if one or more of the players in that team either succombs to injury or a loss of form.
Completely agree with the above.

bryce

International Regular
Fulton needs some runs from somewhere, such a gun player, rate him highly but his form is awful.
I blame the NZ selectors. Fulton established himself in the ODI side as a number four and he should have always stayed there imo, in both Tests and ODI's. I reckon he'd be an established international player by now if he got to bat at his preferred position, and if anyone deserves to bat at their preferred position it's a NZ batsman with a FC average of 45. He has even publicy spoken about his disappointment that the management initially promised him a permanent position at four then they just kept shuffling him round the order, even as low as seven. Fulton in ODI's batting at 4 - 9 innings, 349 runs@49.85.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I blame the NZ selectors. Fulton established himself in the ODI side as a number four and he should have always stayed there imo, in both Tests and ODI's. I reckon he'd be an established international player by now if he got to bat at his preferred position, and if anyone deserves to bat at their preferred position it's a NZ batsman with a FC average of 45. He has even publicy spoken about his disappointment that the management initially promised him a permanent position at four then they just kept shuffling him round the order, even as low as seven. Fulton in ODI's batting at 4 - 9 innings, 349 runs@49.85.
AWTA

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The world cup is a couple of years away yet, don't see the point in speculating now tbh.

NZ Selector

Cricket Spectator
Broom is better than Guptill, Anderson and Elliot. I'm convinced of that.
Broom is too inconsistent. He is a good bat but to often fails to score big scores or score them back to back. This is why I feel he won't make the black caps anytime soon, but the potential is there.

I would back Anderson to make it before him. This kid can hit the ball a long way with good technique and that is something NZ doesn't come across to often. The others like this are all current of former Black Caps. My money is on him being a BC before the end of 2009 probably around the 20/20 World Cup. Dan Vettori and James Franklin were moved in early what to stop them with another. He's the perfect fit for the IPL too.

NZ Selector

Cricket Spectator
I don't think Styirs has it in him to get to the next World Cup. Flynn is another who I am also not completly convience on. I hope he will find some confidence and really prove to be a asset.

There are a lot of names going round NZ cricket at the moment but in my thoughts they all offer something very similar. The likes of Broom, Hay, Guptill, Flynn, Walting, are all young batsmen but are all very similar in there approach so the likely hood of all of these guys going onto become good Black Caps is slim. As much as I would like to see it these guys are all smallish men with expection to Broom, Flynn and Guptill who are more in the average category. None compare to the men that Aussie have in there ranks. Aussie picks atheletes that can get the job done in may situations. Symonds, Hayden, Gilchrist, Watson are all big men, yes they have some small guys but they are consistant and rarely fail.

I feel one possibly two of these guys could make it but not all of them. Although knowing NZ all will probaly get a crack at some stage. Hopefully my theory can be proved wrong and they all become something special.

Natman20

International Debutant
Now is the time when they can experiment and we shouldn't say anything bad about the selectors for that. The world cup is a long time away. The champions trophy should test out new players anyway. Just so that others get a run. Some may emerge better than others.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Broom is too inconsistent. He is a good bat but to often fails to score big scores or score them back to back. This is why I feel he won't make the black caps anytime soon, but the potential is there.

I would back Anderson to make it before him. This kid can hit the ball a long way with good technique and that is something NZ doesn't come across to often. The others like this are all current of former Black Caps. My money is on him being a BC before the end of 2009 probably around the 20/20 World Cup. Dan Vettori and James Franklin were moved in early what to stop them with another. He's the perfect fit for the IPL too.
I'd like to see Anderson play some first class cricket first. He's done well against people his own age and of lesser or equal skill. To debut him before he's 20 would be fairly ridiculous imo.

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think Styirs has it in him to get to the next World Cup. Flynn is another who I am also not completly convience on. I hope he will find some confidence and really prove to be a asset.

There are a lot of names going round NZ cricket at the moment but in my thoughts they all offer something very similar. The likes of Broom, Hay, Guptill, Flynn, Walting, are all young batsmen but are all very similar in there approach so the likely hood of all of these guys going onto become good Black Caps is slim. As much as I would like to see it these guys are all smallish men with expection to Broom, Flynn and Guptill who are more in the average category. None compare to the men that Aussie have in there ranks. Aussie picks atheletes that can get the job done in may situations. Symonds, Hayden, Gilchrist, Watson are all big men, yes they have some small guys but they are consistant and rarely fail.

I feel one possibly two of these guys could make it but not all of them. Although knowing NZ all will probaly get a crack at some stage. Hopefully my theory can be proved wrong and they all become something special.
Going on FC figures, Hay and Broom are easily the best of that lot. Also, I don't think you shouldb e so dismissive of Broom, whom an observer on this forum at the emerging players tournament said "I'm amazed this guy hasn't played test cricket yet," and Hay averages in the mid-fifties, more than Fleming, Fulton or Sinclair. He has a few technical issues atm but to write him off as "smallish" to our future hopes is a big, big call. With a few tidy ups I think he could potentially be brilliant in the middle order, and whilst I'm not as knowledgable as some on Broom, he definitely deserves to be ahead of Marshall and Flynn in the selection stakes.

Actualy, if you were reffering to those players height being an issue (now that I read it again it seems that way) then thats silly. Two words: Sachin Tendulkar. I'm not suggesting they'll be as good as him but height means nothing, I'm more interested in ability.

And your suggestion that Anderson will be playing for NZ at the end of 2009 I hope doesn't come. How about we give him a few years in FC cricket? I hear all sorts about how crap it is but it can't be doing too badly if the likes of Taylor, How (whose average in FC sucks), Mills, O'Brien etc can all play FC cricket for a while and adjust to test cricket fairly nicely.