• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be the first Test debutant of the KP era?

PavlovsDog

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Who will be #641?

I think a safe bet might be Graeme Swann. Chances are we play 2 spinners at some point in India and Swann would appear to be the leading candidate to get in the squad.

Batting wise, any players on the fringe are already capped (Key, Shah, Bopara), same for keepers (Prior, Foster, Read) and same probably for quicks (Hoggard, Jones, Mahmood, Plunkett, Tremlett)

So the second spinner seems the most likely pick, unless they go back to Udal or Blackwell, the last two spinners who paired up with Monty in the sub continent. And I can't see that happening.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good God I hope it's not Swann.

Guess I'd be fetching very far if I were to hope Ed Joyce. :dry:

PavlovsDog

Good God I hope it's not Swann.

Guess I'd be fetching very far if I were to hope Ed Joyce. :dry:
I'd prefer to know who you believe it will realistically be rather than hope for.

I think my logic of a second spinner is fairly reasoned, so if not Swann, who?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'm going to go with Vikram Solanki.

He's 32, but I think the way he bats could be ideal on the sub continent.

If choosing a bowler I'll go with Tim Bresnan.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paha. Swann. If that's the best they can do, screw all principles, how long til one of the great FC pakistani bowlers are eligible for England?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm going to go with Vikram Solanki.

He's 32, but I think the way he bats could be ideal on the sub continent.

If choosing a bowler I'll go with Tim Bresnan.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at both of those TBH.

Julian87

State Captain
So the second spinner seems the most likely pick, unless they go back to Udal or Blackwell, the last two spinners who paired up with Monty in the sub continent. And I can't see that happening.
Blackwell would be the best option. For no reason other than I love how he plays the game. Never seen him play the longer version of the game though, and doubt it'd be his thing.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Nice thread!

Davies or Rashid (2nd Spinner in India).

I would have gone for maybe Horton or Denly (big outside bet). But with Bell wanting to move upto 3 then the next new batsmen would come down the innings which would rule out any new openers. Unless Strauss totally imploded over the winter.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Blackwell would be the best option. For no reason other than I love how he plays the game. Never seen him play the longer version of the game though, and doubt it'd be his thing.
Thats not serious is it? Blackwell must never play Test cricket. If he does im convinced the world will end.

PavlovsDog

Thats not serious is it? Blackwell must never play Test cricket. If he does im convinced the world will end.
Blackwell has a test, so is ineligible in the context of this thread. I only brought him up as someone who could potentially block my tip of Swann, though I would suggest it is highly unlikely.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at both of those TBH.
Haha. Bresnan was dire was he played ODIs but IMO he has some potential in the longer form. Obviously it'd be pretty insane to pick him now but there might not be a Test debutant for a couple of seasons and his figures have definitely improved in recent times. The players you'd assume are currently on the fringes or just outside that have all played Tests before - Bopara, Broad, Shah, Key, Prior, Harmison, Tremlett, Jones. By the time all those guys have been tried out, Brensan could well have built on this season and fully deserve selection. Solanki isn't going to happen though. :p

My pick is Samit Patel. He's just been picked in the ODI squad which means the selectors rate him, and his FC record is pretty decent. The fact that he bowls left arm tweakers could help in the subcontinent as well. I wouldn't pick him but he's one who stands out to me as being at all likely to "jump the queue". Else, <insert random wicket keeper's name here>.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Blackwell's batting is actually much better in the longer form. His bowling is pretty useless though - he's used as a "regular part-timer" (to churn out an oxymoron) in First Class cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
Out of interest, and I'm not implying anything PEWS, have you seen Blackwell bat at FC level or you going off second hand info like stats, reports etc.? (geniune question as well)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It is an interesting question, and Swann is propably the answer Id go with as well.

The only 1 Test left in the summer and a tour to the sub-continent in the winter, then it is likely we will play 2 spinners at some point.

As for some of the choices in this thread, it propably says a lot for the standard of English cricket at the moment.