Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Build-up to Indian Domestic Season 2008-09

Banned
    But still he'll be entitled to some basic salary i think if he gets selected. What's he got to lose?

State associations can select four outstation players

Cricinfo staff
    August 30, 2008

State associations will now be permitted to include four "guest" players [ those from areas outside their jurisdiction] in their squad from the 2008-09 season onwards, up from the three that was previously permitted.

One overseas player can be included among the four, but he must have played at least ten Tests or 20 ODIs. However, only three outstation players can be included in the playing XI. The decision was made at a meeting of the BCCI technical committee, chaired by Sunil Gavaskar, in Mumbai on Saturday. The last date for associations to register their guest players will be September 1 every year.

No high-profile overseas players have featured for India's state associations, with the likes of Vikram Solanki, Kabir Ali and Nayan Doshi, former India left-arm spinner Dilip Doshi's son, having played in recent seasons. The first two turned out for Rajasthan, while Doshi played for Saurashtra, the region his family originally hails from.

However, things could change, with many overseas players having been part of the squads of the eight franchises that contested the inaugural edition of the Indian Premier League earlier in the year. But it's unlikely that associations will be able to match the sums franchises shelled out for the big names; Andrew Symonds fetched a whopping US$1.35 million for his participation in the six-week long event. The IPL rules allowed teams a maximum of four overseas recruits in the playing XI.

The 2008-09 season will begin with the Irani Trophy match - between Ranji Trophy champions Delhi and Rest of India - which has been advanced to September 24, instead of October 1-5 as originally scheduled. The BCCI working committee also deliberated on the amendments in playing conditions for domestic tournaments. They chose to retain the original Powerplay rule in the forthcoming season.

Cricinfo
    Interesting...
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Banned
    The question is who'd want to slog in the dry heat for this pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Pnottath View Post
    The question is who'd want to slog in the dry heat for this pay?
    It's not much in comparison to those obnoxiously fat pay packages from the franchises. Surely, the BCCI isn't bankrupt enough to pay so little to overseas players? They can, somehow, decide on team ownership and sources of finances to take care of that. This was the one good thing about the IPL, and we'd like to see that taken into the domestic scene, even for FC and List-A. The economics shouldn't be too tough to work on, especially when it's only one overseas player a team. Of coure, some associations can't afford an overseas player, but again, economics need to be worked out.

Banned
    I think this could attract perhaps the B level international cricketers who missed out on IPL but want to make their share of Indian money. The problem is that only a handful among these teams are in a position to really offer anything of substance in terms of money and comfort like Mumbai, Maha, Delhi, etc. Forget teams like Kerala, Jharkand etc. So that leaves little on plate.

And what's this thing about sep 1 deadline? it's already here!

I think this could attract perhaps the B level international cricketers who missed out on IPL but want to make their share of Indian money. The problem is that only a handful among these teams are in a position to really offer anything of substance in terms of money and comfort like Mumbai, Maha, Delhi, etc. Forget teams like Kerala, Jharkand etc. So that leaves little on plate.

And what's this thing about sep 1 deadline? it's already here!
    The finances will, as I said, have to be worked out. Either the BCCI can contribute (they're sitting on loads of cash, now multiplied by IPL earnings) or they can work out issues of team ownership. However, we don't want film stars owning teams, as they happen to care scratch for cricket. A few aspects from the IPL can be taken forward here. Maybe someone else can buy out and run the Kerala team, but then, issues of 'state pride' may come up here.

That deadline will be in force from the next year.

The pay per match has been hiked to Rs.37000, and while it doesn't match those astronomical sums from IPL, it shouldn't be too little. As for the foreign players issue, the BCCI say that the Ranji series should be used to nurture home-grown talent, not breed foreigners, and hence the one-foreigner-per-team, as also the 15-Test-20-ODI rule. Good idea, but they could have stretched it further to, say, 25 Tests and 50 ODIs. Mumbai Mirror can't stop complaining about this (they complain all the time when they talk Indian cricket) but then, the youngsters in India will learn a lot more when bowling to Hayden or facing McGrath than some youngster- who, in comparison, will have learnt a lot and would be better equipped to face the Indians in the future.

The Irani Trophy will also have a Test look to it, with many Test regulars making the Rest Of India XI. That will mean eight places in that team will be the regulars from the national team, leaving open places for the openers and a seamer- maybe Praveen Kumar, Jaffer and Asnodkar? Maybe even a wildcard like Pathan or Praveen Kumar will do here; they've opened the innings with a wicketkeeper countless times before.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Won't it just be simpler to abolish the zonal sides and ask the IPL franchises to play in the Duleep and Deodhar Trophy and let the Ranji be the place from where talent scouts for the franchises can pick up players for their franchise teams???
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Vice-Captain
    How much are ranji players going to be paid in US dollars?

Banned
    If at current rates a pitiable 900 USD per match, less than what Dhoni made per ball last IPL.

BTW, Your idea of IPL sides playing Duleep trophy could not be practical as a window needs to be found to accomodate the international players. The ICC would never be willing to bend to that extent i think.

As to legends like Warne or McGrath playing the domestic circuit sounds fantastic, like the IPL they can be offered additional mentoring roles like bowling coach, etc, and finances shouldn't be a problem, with a sponsor thrown in. But i would love them at the Academy for youngsters, as the net for catch will be broader.

As to the Irani trophy, I think instead of Asnodkar and tried-and-discarded Jaffer, Shikar Dhawan and a much improved Akash Chopra be given a chance. Also Kaif be considered a look in.

If at current rates a pitiable 900 USD per match, less than what Dhoni made per ball last IPL.

BTW, Your idea of IPL sides playing Duleep trophy could not be practical as a window needs to be found to accomodate the international players. The ICC would never be willing to bend to that extent i think.

As to legends like Warne or McGrath playing the domestic circuit sounds fantastic, like the IPL they can be offered additional mentoring roles like bowling coach, etc, and finances shouldn't be a problem, with a sponsor thrown in. But i would love them at the Academy for youngsters, as the net for catch will be broader.

As to the Irani trophy, I think instead of Asnodkar and tried-and-discarded Jaffer, Shikar Dhawan and a much improved Akash Chopra be given a chance. Also Kaif be considered a look in.
    Well, they dont have to create an exact window.. Whoever is free can come and play and otherwise, the franchises will have to make do with their Indian players.. It would still be a higher standard simply because you will now have 8 teams instead of the 32 in the Ranji Trophy and matches will also have "some" meaning because of the IPL T20 connection..

I honestly don't see why they can't try it out...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    Well, they dont have to create an exact window.. Whoever is free can come and play and otherwise, the franchises will have to make do with their Indian players.. It would still be a higher standard simply because you will now have 8 teams instead of the 32 in the Ranji Trophy and matches will also have "some" meaning because of the IPL T20 connection..

I honestly don't see why they can't try it out...
    Well, the international players would well be ruled out. Also the Indian internationals will be busy with their fall/winter engagements. So that would effectively reduce it to a skinnier Duleep, without the guarantee that that year's best performers are given adequate representation, and nor the crowd will be interested without key players. The entire idea of the Duleep trophy is to address the inadequate number of first class matches in Ranji. By giving the best a chance to again showcase their abilities. With privately owned and managed IPL, you can hardly be assured of that.

And brother, i don't think with all their millions spent, the IPL team owners would venture in for such a philanthropy for the good of Indian cricket.

From the front page: Sehwag has been picked to lead a strong 15-man Delhi team for the Mohammad Nissar Trophy.
    Virender Sehwag will lead a strong Delhi squad for their clash against Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited in the third edition of the Mohammad Nissar Trophy, starting September 15 at the Feroz Shah Kotla. The match is an annual fixture between the first-class champions of Pakistan and India, with Uttar Pradesh and Mumbai being previous winners.

Delhi's 15-member squad has seven players with international experience, including opener Gautam Gambhir and fast bowler Ishant Sharma. However, in-form batsman Shikhar Dhawan failed to make the cut due to a hairline fracture on his right thumb. Aditya Jain and allrounder Sumit Narwal were omitted from the squad that took part in last year's Ranji final.

Ashish Nehra, the left-arm seamer who did not get a game in the 2007-08 Ranji Trophy season, makes a comeback after recovering from an ankle injury. He was picked up by the Mumbai Indians IPL franchise and performed reasonably in the Twenty20 tournament, taking 12 wickets in 14 appearances at an average of 29.

Nehra, though, was cautious about his prospects for the match. "I am not expecting to return to the scene with a five-for in my comeback match," he told the Indian Express. "My aim is to bowl 15 overs and get a couple of wickets and see how to gather my rhythm at the crease.

"The good thing is, I am feeling great with all the technical aspects of my bowling - my swing, pace, line and length are coming along okay," he said. "So it's just about my body feeling okay after having bowled over long spells."

Even though he had played the last of his 17 Tests in 2004, Nehra had still given not up hopes of playing for India again. "I still have a good four to five years of cricket left in me. It's up to the selectors to take a call on me," he said. "There's so much cricket happening all through the year and it gives everyone a chance. My job is to bowl well and line up there in the queue."

Squad: Virender Sehwag (capt), Gautam Gambhir, Aakash Chopra, Mayank Tehlan, Mithun Manhas, Virat Kohli, Rajat Bhatia, Puneet Bisht (wk), Ishant Sharma, Pradeep Sangwan, Ashish Nehra, Chetanya Nanda, Amit Bhandari, Narender Singh, Gaurav Chhabra
    Decent squad, though the absence of Narwal is a bit disappointing. He could have made it ahead of one of those extras. With bowling options such as Nehra, Ishant, Sangwan, Nanda and Bhandari, they can choose a strong combination, and Rajat Bhatia can also provide useful backup medium pace. The batting looks strong even without Dhawan, and picking the first XI shouldn't be too tough.

Banned
    Nehra's comeback is interesting.

Well, the international players would well be ruled out. Also the Indian internationals will be busy with their fall/winter engagements. So that would effectively reduce it to a skinnier Duleep, without the guarantee that that year's best performers are given adequate representation, and nor the crowd will be interested without key players. The entire idea of the Duleep trophy is to address the inadequate number of first class matches in Ranji. By giving the best a chance to again showcase their abilities. With privately owned and managed IPL, you can hardly be assured of that.

And brother, i don't think with all their millions spent, the IPL team owners would venture in for such a philanthropy for the good of Indian cricket.
    yeah.. I do agree it will be difficult to get those guys to shell out the bucks.. But if they did manage it, for a lesser fee per game or whatever..as you said, a skinnier Duleep Trophy, we would still at least have established teams, instead of made up ones, and with some semi-decent marketing, at least ppl would follow the scores and progress a little bit more than normally happens with Duleep.

And over a period of time, it could end up becoming reasonably popular, at least by domestic competition standards..

And I don't think the owners will have to shell out too much. Read one report not long back in one of the magazines about how much money the franchises have lost in the first year of the IPL and most of them are tipped to get some money back by the second year itself and 2 or 3 actually made profits in their first year itself. The money and sums involved wont be so huge as the IPL T20.. So if someone is smart enough in the BCCI to convince the team owners, it can be done....

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information