Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Graeme Smith tells Klusener to bugger off

Tim

Graeme Smith tells Klusener to bugger off

Is Graeme Smith really in the right mental state of mind to captain an international cricket team...he's either a smart ass or incredibly stupid.

Of course there was the well documented article in which he complained about the sledge he received from McGrath a season or so back and then in the Bangladesh tour just gone he kept Shaun Pollock back until 5th change bowler in an ODI match which South Africa lost.
    Now he comes out & quotes:

"We decided Lance as a team man can only cause hassles and we want to move forward in SA cricket,"
    "To be honest Lance, as fantastic as he is, can sometimes ruin a team."
    "His ability as a cricketer is very good, but his ability as a team man is not very good and he kind of can infect a team and bring down the youth."

and here's what Klusener had to say:

Klusener expressed surprise at Smith's remarks, saying that the only official comment he had received came from Omar Henry, the chairman of selectors, who had told him the reason for his omission was the need to bring in new blood. "It's becoming a joke," Klusener told South Africa's Star newspaper. "Does anyone really know what's going on out there? For the current captain, who's played a couple of games with me, to come out with the so-called real reason at a cricketing breakfast is almost laughable. What's really disturbing is that, whatever the reason for my being dropped, no one in authority has made any effort to sort it out."

---------------------------------------------------------------
    article from cricinfo.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lol, nice one Graeme..

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Well, I agree with Lance. Is Graeme Smith experienced enough to be making this call?

Lance is a genuine matchwinner and has saved south africa's rear end on countless occassions. Its only natural that some people are more communicative and 'mixing' with others, while others let there performance talk.

I think Smith has no right to say this to such an experienced and proven player, I dont think he should even be the captain!
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Originally posted by masterblaster

I think Smith has no right to say this to such an experienced and proven player, I dont think he should even be the captain!
    I agree on that !
    "And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it" - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    This story will run and run

<quack> I'll make sure it does
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Yep I have to agree with Lance on this one, but isn't it just SA tradition afterall H.Gibbs slacked of S.Pollock midway through the World Cup saying he wasn't good enough.
    Last edited by Rich2001; 28-05-2003 at 09:36 AM.

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    I am surprised by this.There must be some sort of serious problems within the SA cricketing establishment for the national captain to come out with such a rash statement about one of the best known players of the country.

Also that Gibbs statement against Pollock midway through the world cup was quite stupid and now this one....well, its dog eat dog time, I guess.
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

Pinball Champion!
    Originally posted by Rich2001
    Yep I have to agree with Lance on this one, but isn't it just SA tradition afterall H.Gibbs slacked of S.Pollock midway through the World Cup saying he wasn't good enough.

Not really "tradition" but it seems to be fast approaching that way with the current people on the board, and a captain that appears to be letting power go to his head...

Zulu was awesome for SA cricket, Smith should be thanking him....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

I agree with MB. Not only does he lack the credibility to back up his downplaying of Klusner, but he also seems to require something off of someone who probably hasn't shown a gregarious quality before. Cronje did fine with Klusner, Pollock did fine.

A real sad day, if you ask me. Internal conflict - the worst. We may never see Klusner play in the international arena again.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Ahh, SA tear themselves apart, England win Test Series 5-0.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Whatever Smith feels about Klusener, Zulu has a better record than he has right now so maybe he should just STFU and get on with the game.

What an arrogant upstart. Holy de-stabilising comments, Batman!
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

U19 Debutant
    I still can't believe South Africa made Graeme Smith captain. He wasn't even a regular member of the test side.........and for him to bag Klusener, I think SA cricket is in trouble.

Actually, his appointment reminds me of the New Zealand/Lee Germon farce from a few years ago...........

Tim
    To be fair to Germon he was an outstanding captain for Canterbury. However you're right, he pretty much came from nowhere to captain the NZ team because his batting & keeping were suspect.

Pinball Champion!
    I think Smith is a definite fixture now, he is a world class batsman, but they did throw him in the deep end far too early, maybe he should have been captain in about 2 years time...
    Shaun Pollock did nothing to deserve the way he was streated by the UCBSA

U19 Debutant
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    I think Smith is a definite fixture now, he is a world class batsman, but they did throw him in the deep end far too early, maybe he should have been captain in about 2 years time...
    Shaun Pollock did nothing to deserve the way he was streated by the UCBSA
    I think it is far too early to tell whether Smith is a 'world class batsman'........he's played what, 8 tests? He has scored some runs, but against who? He crumbled mentally against McGrath, Gillespie and Lee, crying about sledging etc........

I agree with you about Pollock however. He has been treated badly, his only crime I guess is fairly unimaginative captaincy, particularly in ODI.
    I feel he deserved to stay on though, and the critics within the team like Gibbs et al should have been disciplined.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Kenny
    He has scored some runs, but against who?
    Bangladesh, and Pakistan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information