• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith tells Klusener to bugger off

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Graeme Smith really in the right mental state of mind to captain an international cricket team...he's either a smart ass or incredibly stupid.

Of course there was the well documented article in which he complained about the sledge he received from McGrath a season or so back and then in the Bangladesh tour just gone he kept Shaun Pollock back until 5th change bowler in an ODI match which South Africa lost.
Now he comes out & quotes:

"We decided Lance as a team man can only cause hassles and we want to move forward in SA cricket,"
"To be honest Lance, as fantastic as he is, can sometimes ruin a team."
"His ability as a cricketer is very good, but his ability as a team man is not very good and he kind of can infect a team and bring down the youth."

and here's what Klusener had to say:

Klusener expressed surprise at Smith's remarks, saying that the only official comment he had received came from Omar Henry, the chairman of selectors, who had told him the reason for his omission was the need to bring in new blood. "It's becoming a joke," Klusener told South Africa's Star newspaper. "Does anyone really know what's going on out there? For the current captain, who's played a couple of games with me, to come out with the so-called real reason at a cricketing breakfast is almost laughable. What's really disturbing is that, whatever the reason for my being dropped, no one in authority has made any effort to sort it out."

---------------------------------------------------------------
article from cricinfo.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Lol, nice one Graeme..

masterblaster

International Captain
Well, I agree with Lance. Is Graeme Smith experienced enough to be making this call?

Lance is a genuine matchwinner and has saved south africa's rear end on countless occassions. Its only natural that some people are more communicative and 'mixing' with others, while others let there performance talk.

I think Smith has no right to say this to such an experienced and proven player, I dont think he should even be the captain!

Rich2001

International Captain
Yep I have to agree with Lance on this one, but isn't it just SA tradition afterall H.Gibbs slacked of S.Pollock midway through the World Cup saying he wasn't good enough. :lol:

Last edited:

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
I am surprised by this.There must be some sort of serious problems within the SA cricketing establishment for the national captain to come out with such a rash statement about one of the best known players of the country.

Also that Gibbs statement against Pollock midway through the world cup was quite stupid and now this one....well, its dog eat dog time, I guess.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rich2001 said:
Yep I have to agree with Lance on this one, but isn't it just SA tradition afterall H.Gibbs slacked of S.Pollock midway through the World Cup saying he wasn't good enough. :lol:

Not really "tradition" but it seems to be fast approaching that way with the current people on the board, and a captain that appears to be letting power go to his head...

Zulu was awesome for SA cricket, Smith should be thanking him....

krkode

State Captain
I agree with MB. Not only does he lack the credibility to back up his downplaying of Klusner, but he also seems to require something off of someone who probably hasn't shown a gregarious quality before. Cronje did fine with Klusner, Pollock did fine.

A real sad day, if you ask me. Internal conflict - the worst. We may never see Klusner play in the international arena again.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whatever Smith feels about Klusener, Zulu has a better record than he has right now so maybe he should just STFU and get on with the game.

What an arrogant upstart. Holy de-stabilising comments, Batman!

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I still can't believe South Africa made Graeme Smith captain. He wasn't even a regular member of the test side.........and for him to bag Klusener, I think SA cricket is in trouble.

Actually, his appointment reminds me of the New Zealand/Lee Germon farce from a few years ago...........

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair to Germon he was an outstanding captain for Canterbury. However you're right, he pretty much came from nowhere to captain the NZ team because his batting & keeping were suspect.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I think Smith is a definite fixture now, he is a world class batsman, but they did throw him in the deep end far too early, maybe he should have been captain in about 2 years time...
Shaun Pollock did nothing to deserve the way he was streated by the UCBSA

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Langeveldt said:
I think Smith is a definite fixture now, he is a world class batsman, but they did throw him in the deep end far too early, maybe he should have been captain in about 2 years time...
Shaun Pollock did nothing to deserve the way he was streated by the UCBSA
I think it is far too early to tell whether Smith is a 'world class batsman'........he's played what, 8 tests? He has scored some runs, but against who? He crumbled mentally against McGrath, Gillespie and Lee, crying about sledging etc........

I agree with you about Pollock however. He has been treated badly, his only crime I guess is fairly unimaginative captaincy, particularly in ODI.
I feel he deserved to stay on though, and the critics within the team like Gibbs et al should have been disciplined.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
Bangladesh, and Pakistan.
Bangladesh - say no more.

Pakistan - can be the best bowling attack in the world, or the worst on any given day.

If Smith's average is up around 50 after about 25-30 tests, then I might say he's world class...........but then everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Craig

World Traveller
Digging this up.

Well do date South Africa have shown Klusener hasnt been missed and Smith to be a very good captain.

deeps

International 12th Man
graeme smith is on a huge ego trip...he went from being a fringe player in the SA team,to the captain,in one day...He made 2 double centuries...One against Bangladesh....i'm not even gonna explain,coz only some1 with the intellect of amits would say that bangladesh's attack is respectable...And pakistan can have very cold matches....

He's gone from zero to hero in no time,and now he thinks he can boss every1 around... He should NEVER have been made captain at that stage...he wasn't even in the team! He is a FAR too inexperienced cricketer to be a captain of a national squad...In fact...he's too inexperienced in life to be a captain...22 years of age...an international captain? is that some kind of record?

He obviously has very strong political strongholds in SA, coz i can't see ne other way that he could b made captain of the team from a fringe player....AND have the power of keeping a world class match winning player of the calibre of lance klusener out of the team...

unfortunately,a great player in lance klusener is the loser in this situation...and it is a terrible way for such a great career to come to an end

Smith should not have a say in the selection of proven players such as klusener... i'm just wondering....if smith said that he didn't like pollock,would the selectors oblige him and drop pollock?i think that's a possibility at the moment

deeps

International 12th Man
His runs this year have included three centuries. In January he scored 151 against Pakistan at Cape Town, then in the first Test against England at Edgbaston in July, he set a new South African Test record with 277 - and followed that up with a matchwinning 259 in the second Test at Lord's.

OK,so he made the doubles against england.......who had NO bowlers worthy of mention in those matches...