• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Graeme Smith tells Klusener to bugger off

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Three double tons - 200 v Pakistan, 277 & 259 v England. None v Bdesh.

He was the only realistic choice as skipper.

deeps

International 12th Man
the usual policy is

1) Pick the team
2) Pick the skipper

smith doesn't fit in "pick the team" coz he wasn't in the team!
I'm sure there's better ppl out there than smith...kallis?boucher?

some1 that actually was in the team...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
deeps said:
the usual policy is

1) Pick the team
2) Pick the skipper

smith doesn't fit in "pick the team" coz he wasn't in the team!
I'm sure there's better ppl out there than smith...kallis?boucher?

some1 that actually was in the team...
It seems that selectors are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

So - if they should have picked someone who was in the team, should the selectors correct that mistake now and give the captaincy to Kallis or Boucher?

What message would that send? I suppose it would be tantamount to totally undermining Smith's position and he would then have to be left out.

'Duh!' seems to sum that up quite nicely.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Erm, Smith was in the team. The 200 v Pakistan was pre-captaincy.

He was left out for the WC squad and no one here could work out a reason.

Kallis? You think the guy has enough on already?

Boucher? Really? After that defensive shot?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Neil Pickup said:
Boucher? Really? After that defensive shot?
In defense of Boucher, it was a magnificient piece of bowling that anyone would have struggled to keep out.

No?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly struggle to believe some of the comments on here. Graeme Smith, not a secure member of the SA side; struggled against McGrath, Gillespie and *can scarcely believe eyes* Lee; some people don't even seem to realise how his Test career has gone.
Graeme Smith became a fixture in the South African Test side from his third match. Why he was left-out of the World Cup squad I'm not entirely sure.
Graeme Smith's Test career, innings by innings As we can see by this, he has made plenty of runs for a reasonable period of time.
The one thing I question about him is his insistence on criticising Klusener. What the neccesity is for that I really cannot even begin to understand.
But to criticise Smith as a batsman is truly a strange idea. OK, his technique mightn't appear perfect, but he's still scored a mountain of runs in not very many innings; his Test-average is higher than any other current player, even now Thilan Samaraweera.
It's quite right he can't be called all-time great or anything after just 12 serious Tests, but I thoroughly expect his run-scoring to continue on it's current rate and after 25-30 Tests we can then start to call him very, very good.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
I have hardly seen Mr Smith bat at all, but what I can see in the list presented by Richard is severe inconsistency. Under 25 in over 60% of his innings? Surely this needs some addressing?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, true, and I'm more than confident it will be adressed. However the basic point is that if he wasn't secure after his first 8 Tests, when is he going to be secure?
But it is disappointing that he has made so many scores under 25 when he's got all the big centuries he has.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bennyr said:
I have hardly seen Mr Smith bat at all, but what I can see in the list presented by Richard is severe inconsistency. Under 25 in over 60% of his innings? Surely this needs some addressing?
It's because these flaws get worked out, and hence people know how to bowl to him.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
bennyr said:
Even Ponting has 55 scores of under 25 - and just 56 above.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I tell Smith to bugger off

This guy is one of the most arrogant cricketers ive ever seen or heard. Even more then Ganguly. He has no right to direct those comments in anyones direction, let alone a brilliant SA veteran who has in truth, been very good over the years.

I would love the SA cricket board to do the unexpected and hand the captaincy to Klusener.:D Hehe, oh the irony.

Mr. P

Richard said:
I honestly struggle to believe some of the comments on here. Graeme Smith, not a secure member of the SA side; struggled against McGrath, Gillespie and *can scarcely believe eyes* Lee; some people don't even seem to realise how his Test career has gone.
Of course Richard, you're right. I can't believe it either. Who wouldn't find it easy to play a guy who bowls 150km at your toes or head in which you have approx 0.2 seconds to react. And his improved line and length as of late would make the task even simpler.:rolleyes:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
I've got nothing better to do so I'll either pick on Richard or back him up, depending on your interpretation of the Smith's actual record against Australia.

Graeme Smith has played 4 test innings against Australia.

In the first, he was dismissed by McGrath.
Balls faced:
McGrath 8 - runs, 2
Gillespie 1 - runs, 1

In the second, he was dismissed by Warne
Balls faced:
McGrath 18 - runs, 6
Gillespie 21 - runs, 9
Warne 78 - runs, 30
Lee 5 - runs, 7
M Waugh 16 - runs, 12
Martyn 7 - runs, 3
S Waugh 2 - runs, 1

In the third, he was dismissed by McGrath
Balls faced:
McGrath 5 - runs, 0
Lee 1 - runs, 1

In the fourth, he was dismissed by M Waugh
Balls faced:
Warne 29 - runs, 13
Lee 27 - runs, 16
McGrath 18 - runs, 5
M Waugh 8 - runs, 8

So, just 4 knocks totalling 114 runs.

I hardly think that Richard has justified that Smith hasn't struggled against McGrath, Gillespie and Lee, but then again I hardly think that he had anything to justify in the first place because of the limited nature of the data.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Ouch!!

Deeps, so you wont give a 22 year old guy who goes to England for the first time, scores two massive double centuries against a load of bowlers who have loads of respect incidentally on these forums any credit?

Fact is, he is incredibally passionate, you only have to go to a match and watch him for a bit to realize this.... Six months ago I would have called him arrogant, but hes earnt a hell of a lot of respect... He lives and breathes SA cricket, so I am willing to give him the benifit of the doubt, he is good for the game, a natural leader...

He didnt handle the Klusener issue at all well, that wont go away, but if he had a bad influence on the dressing room then maybe Smith was right to make the call... Maybe he wanted some new blood to take Kluseners place... Anyway Klusener tucked into Smiths bowling in the recent WP v RoSA match, so maybe that poured fuel on the fire lol...

Darryl Cullinan is another fine South African batsman who couldnt touch the Aussies, so Smith is not alone, but its still very early days...

Craig

World Traveller
Re: I tell Smith to bugger off

Mr. Ponting said:
This guy is one of the most arrogant cricketers ive ever seen or heard. Even more then Ganguly. He has no right to direct those comments in anyones direction, let alone a brilliant SA veteran who has in truth, been very good over the years.

I would love the SA cricket board to do the unexpected and hand the captaincy to Klusener.:D Hehe, oh the irony.
Lance Klusener nor Jacques Kallis trike me as captaincy fellows. I just dont think they have the intellegence or not a team per se in regars with Klusener.

From what I read Lance Klusener never really got on with Hansie Cronje.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Re: Re: I tell Smith to bugger off

Craig said:
Lance Klusener nor Jacques Kallis trike me as captaincy fellows. I just dont think they have the intellegence or not a team per se in regars with Klusener.

You're saying that Smith is more intelligent than Kallis? Please do explain how you know this.

Craig

World Traveller
I read in a book about the match fixing saga and one of the people interviewed who knew Kallis all during his youth career until know said that Kallis didnt have the attitude to be captain.

Other then the extra workload can you give me a reason why he hasnt had any leadership role?

While Smith is a natural leader and thus IMO he is the best person for the job. I would be interested in who you think should be ideal for the captain of South Africa?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Other then the extra workload can you give me a reason why he hasnt had any leadership role?
I'd the say the extra workload is enough. IMO Kallis is South Africa's best batsman (Smith included) and he's an under-rated bowler, outstanding considering his batting average is over 50.

Craig

World Traveller
Although Sobers was able to open the bowling, bowl through the innings and captain the side and never affected his workload. So I dont know about that.

Mr. P

Re: Re: I tell Smith to bugger off

Craig said:

note the sarcasm in my original post:rolleyes: