• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can South AFrica end Australia's 13 year run as the best test team ?

I'm not sure if they can tbh.

Beating England is one thing but I can't see the Aussie batting collapsing like a pack of cards like England's did. I think the Saffies will push the Aussies hard but the Aussies will still be world champs by the end of the six tests in RSA early next year.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
South Africa need to consistently bowl well to beat Australia.
I didn't think their bowlers bowled consistently well in England....however, the English batting was very generous in giving away their wickets.

Australia's bowling is not what it once was but their batting is still very strong and to beat Australia, you need to be able to consistently knock their batsmen over.

Spinksy

Banned
Nah, I don't think that they will. Australia are a strong side that usually pull though in these situations were another nation is hot on their tail in pursuit to get the #1 ranking in the world. So, no.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My predictions for the series:

1. Amla to average under 32 with the bat.
2. Kallis to average over 40 but under 50 with the bat.
3. Morkel to average over 35 with the ball.
4. Steyn to average over 28, but under 35 with the ball.
5. Ponting to average under 40 with the bat.

Julian87

State Captain
I think it will be a cracker of a series. With South Africa seemingly finding a solid batting lineup for the first time in a while, and Australia's bowling being rubbish besides Lee and Clark, I wouldn't be surprised at all. I wouldn't be surprised to see Australia using four quicks in most matches this summer.

Craig

World Traveller
Amla better fail, I have an avatar bet that will come back to haunt me (see BI's sig) if he doesn't fail.

Spinksy

Banned
It is quite sad that we cannot find a decent Spinner in the whole of Australia now since the departures of Shane Warne and Stuart MacGill. If Australia decide to look for a spinner however they should probably pick a player like Beau Casson, Dan Cullen or Nathan Hauritz. There are not many other options out there so it is crucial that we make the right decision when it come time to make it.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Absolutely. South Africa have a massive chance of taking our number one spot, but it will all depend on their bowling. Australias batting > South Africas batting, and Australias bowling = South Africas bowling at this point in time. If Amla, Smith and Kallis all fire, as well as Steyn and another pacer (wither Morkel or Ntini) as well as Harris, we will be given a challenge for sure.

Last edited:

Spinksy

Banned
Absolutely. South Africa have a massive chance of taking our number one spot, but it will all depend on there bowling. Australias batting > South Africas batting, and Australias bowling = South Africas bowling at this point in time. If Amla, Smith and Kallis all fire, as well as Steyn and another pacer (wither Morkel or Ntini) as well as Harris, we will be given a challenge for sure.
'Tis funny, you took the time of bolding out the word 'there', but couldn't acually spell the word. :laugh:.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I really don't see it, to be honest. I'm quite aware that this could read like the sour grapes of an embittered Pom in defeat (if the cap fits & all that...), but I honestly don't think the current SA team is all that special. They've batted with infinitely more discipline in the current series than the shower who masquerade as our top six, but (the ironically out of form Kallis aside) how many would make the Oz top order? Smith for Jaques, maybe?

Similarly with the bowling, their efforts have been flattered by Albion generosity and arguably their best performer has been Mr Kallis, generally perceived as a bit of an unwilling bowler before this tour. I remain agnostic about Steyn, Morkel is a work in progress, Ntini visibly retreating as a test force & Harris is steady at best. The two best bowlers (Lee & Clark) will be playing for Australia.

Oz have questions over their third seamer (but no shortage of potential replacements), their spinner & (conceivably) their keeper, but I expect a fairly comfortable victory for the men in the baggy green.

pasag

RTDAS
I really don't see it, to be honest. I'm quite aware that this could read like the sour grapes of an embittered Pom in defeat (if the cap fits & all that...), but I honestly don't think the current SA team is all that special. They've batted with infinitely more discipline in the current series than the shower who masquerade as our top six, but (the ironically out of form Kallis aside) how many would make the Oz top order? Smith for Jaques, maybe?

Similarly with the bowling, their efforts have been flattered by Albion generosity and arguably their best performer has been Mr Kallis, generally perceived as a bit of an unwilling bowler before this tour. I remain agnostic about Steyn, Morkel is a work in progress, Ntini visibly retreating as a test force & Harris is steady at best. The two best bowlers (Lee & Clark) will be playing for Australia.

Oz have questions over their third seamer (but no shortage of potential replacements), their spinner & (conceivably) their keeper, but I expect a fairly comfortable victory for the men in the baggy green.
Yeah, awta. As I said in the official thread, they may very well beat us but there's no indication that'll happen based on how they've performed in England to date which has been ok to good but nothing more.

Spinksy

Banned

Nor do I to be honest, what makes them soooo different to the last side? The Fact that they have Hamish Amla? I think not. Because they have Dale Steyn? I think not. It will be a tight, don't you worry but what amkes people certain that South Africa will beat us? Link I said 'Australia are a strong side that usually pull though in these situations were another nation is hot on their tail in pursuit to get the #1 ranking in the world.' and I still stand by that.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking forward to this series as I think the Saffies have shown great discipline especially in their batting in recent times, but taking 20 Aussie wickets is never easy. However having Lee and Clark have to carry two bowlers is going to bite us in the backside at some point and I reckon these guys are the most likely side to make that happen.

Still think Australia will win though, home and away.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
Nor do I to be honest, what makes them soooo different to the last side? The Fact that they have Hamish Amla? I think not. Because they have Dale Steyn? I think not. It will be a tight, don't you worry but what amkes people certain that South Africa will beat us? Link I said 'Australia are a strong side that usually pull though in these situations were another nation is hot on their tail in pursuit to get the #1 ranking in the world.' and I still stand by that.
Even if the Saffers aren't dramatically better, Australia aren't as dominant as they were in the last series either. The real question is whether the losses from the Australian side have brought them back to the field. It'll be closer than in the past, but Australia should still get up.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the Scotland team has never recovered from the loss of Hamish Amla.