• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag, an all-time Indian great?

ret

International Debutant
IS Sehwag an all-time Indian great, along with Gavaskar, Tendulkar and Dravid? Discuss

* two triple 100s and tons of 150+ scores
* 5102 runs @ 53 in 59 tests [100 innings] with 15 100s
* averages 50+ against some of the best attacks like Australia, Pakistan, SL and SA
* single handedly salvages situation when most of the others fail [one man army]
* averages more than any other Indian opener

defiantly, an all-time Indian batsman for me :)

ret

International Debutant
lets look at some of the other greats after their 100th inning

Gavaskar - 5249 @ 56 with 21 100s
Tendulkar - 4956 @ 55 with 18 100s [99 innings]
Dravid - 4607 @ 51 with 10 100s

Sobers - 5345 @ 61 with 17 H
Richards - 5214 @ 55 with 17 H [99I]
Hayden - 5212 @ 57 with 20H [99I]
Lara - 4778 @ 50 with 10 H [99I]
Chappell - 4530 @ 53 with 15 H
Ponting - 4246 @ 57 with 14 H [99I]
S Waugh - 3568 @ 44 with 7 H
if we are to rank them after their 100 innings [99 in some cases] then below is the standing:

Sobers - 5345
Gavaskar - 5249
Richards - 5214
Hayden - 5212
Sehwag - 5102
Tendulkar - 4956
Lara - 4778

Mard

Banned
no i would never consider him great. His technique is nothing compared to other greats. All he knows is just slashing the ball hard and he seems to score a lot of runs because of his luck.

ret

International Debutant
no i would never consider him great. His technique is nothing compared to other greats. All he knows is just slashing the ball hard and he seems to score a lot of runs because of his luck.
and still he is averaging a Bradmansique 90+ against Pak :p

Mard

Banned
^ true but like i said his technique is not good and he doesn't have all the text book shots like tendulkar or lara. He has been very lucky in my opnion. His oneday average reflects the kind of a batsmen he is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's played on some farcical pitches against Pakistan.

A good, perhaps very good batsman, but not great. One of the biggest beneficiaries of flat pitches, poor standards of bowling and catching. That said, he's good enough that he would probably average over 40 if all chances were held anyway. He's also played some good innings in difficult conditions before. Great stats, but not a great player.

Mard

Banned

A good, perhaps very good batsman, but not great. One of the biggest beneficiaries of flat pitches, poor standards of bowling and catching. That said, he's good enough that he would probably average over 40 if all chances were held anyway. He's also played some good innings in difficult conditions before. Great stats, but not a great player.
exactly my point

sanga1337

U19 Captain
I will certainly consider him a great if he can keep up his good record for the rest of his career.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Luck by itself is only going to carry you so far. You've gotta have a fair bit of ability to average 50+ as a test opener after 60 tests with runs in almost every test playing country in the world

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Agreed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Luck by itself is only going to carry you so far. You've gotta have a fair bit of ability to average 50+ as a test opener after 60 tests with runs in almost every test playing country in the world
All of that can be true without being a great. He has ability, sure, and he has scored runs in a lot of places. So have a lot of people.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
All of that can be true without being a great. He has ability, sure, and he has scored runs in a lot of places. So have a lot of people.
I think he's a pretty special talent tbh. I've seen the majority of his test innings and he has played several good innings on pitches where there has been something in it for the bowlers.

He may not be aesthetically pleasing but he is blessed with exceptional hand-eye coordination - a bit Gilchrist like in that respect.

I think if he can continue to play innings like Adelaide 2008 or Galle 2008 and maintains a 50+ average, its going to be very hard not to consider him an all time great by the time he hangs up his boots

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Well Andrew Symonds is literally let off in every significant innings he plays. ITSTL.

And I'm sure Symonds will have his periods of bad fortune as well....the point I'm making is that those who've seen Sehwag's best innings will realize...this is not a mindless, lucky slogger but a batsman with considerable ability.
More than a tad underrated on these forums.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think if he can continue to play innings like Adelaide 2008 or Galle 2008 and maintains a 50+ average, its going to be very hard not to consider him an all time great by the time he hangs up his boots
That's a different statement than the one that he is already a great.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Sehwag didn't become all time greats after 100 innings, neither does Sehwag.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
That's a different statement than the one that he is already a great.
Never said he was already a great ....however If he can continue to produce the sort of performances we've seen recently, then I don't see why not at some point in the future.

Easy as an armchair critic to pick holes but the sort of innings he has played in different conditions is not characteristic of an average or even a merely decent player.

I think Viru will definitely go down as one in the very good category and depending on what he achieves from here, maybe even a "great".

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I have been following Indian cricket since 1989 and in the last 20 years....I personally believe there have been only 3 players genuinely superior to Sehwag as test batsmen in that time period - Sachin, Rahul and VVS and Viru is probably more prolific than VVS.