• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Ramprakash 100 hundreds

Spinksy

Banned
:laugh:, Ok, let me rephase that then, who is the next closest person to possible acheive this feat that is still currently playing and how close (How many centuries is this person on)? Anyone know

Spinksy

Banned
:laugh:, what a shame then, how close would Punter be? He would have to be atleast in the eighties wouldn't he? thirty-six or something test match hundreds, I don't know how many tonnes in One Day Internationals he has, and to top it all off he has scrapped together a far few first class hundreds. So it has to be atleast eighty or more centuries in total dosen't it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In fairness to Ramps, I don't think the uncertain selection policy England had when he was playing help him greatly
It's unlikely to have made any real difference. Ramprakash between 1991 and 1995/96 could have been given every single Test, I doubt he'd have significantly improved on his average of 16. You can't keep picking a player who performs that poorly for too long.

From 1997 onwards he had two very long runs in the side, performing pretty well in the middle-order, and he was only dropped from the side at a time he'd been batting in the middle-order twice, both after series' against New Zealand. While in both cases it was merely a single bad series, that's the price you have to pay for starting a career as dreadfully as he did. A single bad series and three or four good-to-decent ones are almost immediately forgotten. It's a shame Ramprakash didn't turn things around better than he did, because he averaged 37 between 1997 and 2001/02, which isn't a lot worse than most others at the same time. I do wonder what might have happened had he not been dropped, especially in 1999/2000. But we'll never know, sadly. Ramprakash is destined to go down as a Test failure, and it was his faulty temperament that was to blame.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Without a doubt the most extraordinary comment I have seen here
Look back through his countless thousands of previous posts (you'll have to look through quite a few accounts) and you'll find many more even worse.

A few to get started on:
Shane Warne
Shahid_Afridi_6
Jose Mourinho
Weaving A Web
BingLeeElectric
gilCHRIST2
Mark90210
Legga
The Sticky Dog
Saqqy Mush
God Jayasuriya
Ross Douglas
Clown Roy
SpinnaInATurban
prakesh
STRAIGHT BREAKS
startin2reverse
Fruitfly
SinisterMinista
DireWindies
SylvestJoseph#1
PathanPower
I Lust Cricket
MiddleOrdaBiffa
TuffersTheCat
Top 6 on paper
NassersKnock
opener

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look back through his countless thousands of previous posts (you'll have to look through quite a few accounts) and you'll find many more even worse.

A few to get started on:
Shane Warne
Shahid_Afridi_6
Jose Mourinho
Weaving A Web
BingLeeElectric
gilCHRIST2
Mark90210
Legga
The Sticky Dog
Saqqy Mush
God Jayasuriya
Ross Douglas
Clown Roy
SpinnaInATurban
prakesh
STRAIGHT BREAKS
startin2reverse
Fruitfly
SinisterMinista
DireWindies
SylvestJoseph#1
PathanPower
I Lust Cricket
MiddleOrdaBiffa
TuffersTheCat
Top 6 on paper
NassersKnock
opener
Your kidding surely Richard? No one has that sad a life .................... do they?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's unlikely to have made any real difference. Ramprakash between 1991 and 1995/96 could have been given every single Test, I doubt he'd have significantly improved on his average of 16. You can't keep picking a player who performs that poorly for too long.

From 1997 onwards he had two very long runs in the side, performing pretty well in the middle-order, and he was only dropped from the side at a time he'd been batting in the middle-order twice, both after series' against New Zealand. While in both cases it was merely a single bad series, that's the price you have to pay for starting a career as dreadfully as he did. A single bad series and three or four good-to-decent ones are almost immediately forgotten. It's a shame Ramprakash didn't turn things around better than he did, because he averaged 37 between 1997 and 2001/02, which isn't a lot worse than most others at the same time. I do wonder what might have happened had he not been dropped, especially in 1999/2000. But we'll never know, sadly. Ramprakash is destined to go down as a Test failure, and it was his faulty temperament that was to blame.
That Ramps had trouble between his ears cant be doubted but the fact that Hick and Crawley suffered much the same travails over the same period surely suggests other factors were at work as well?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh:, Ok, let me rephase that then, who is the next closest person to possible acheive this feat that is still currently playing and how close (How many centuries is this person on)? Anyone know
Langer is still playing...

Napier16

Banned

A few to get started on:
Shane Warne
Shahid_Afridi_6
Jose Mourinho
Weaving A Web
BingLeeElectric
gilCHRIST2
Mark90210
Legga
The Sticky Dog
Saqqy Mush
God Jayasuriya
Ross Douglas
Clown Roy
SpinnaInATurban
prakesh
STRAIGHT BREAKS
startin2reverse
Fruitfly
SinisterMinista
DireWindies
SylvestJoseph#1
PathanPower
I Lust Cricket
MiddleOrdaBiffa
TuffersTheCat
Top 6 on paper
NassersKnock
opener
none of the above

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That Ramps had trouble between his ears cant be doubted but the fact that Hick and Crawley suffered much the same travails over the same period surely suggests other factors were at work as well?
Well I'm not sure either case is directly comparable at all TBH. Hick's initial failings were technical - he cured these problems and between 1993 and 1995/96 scored many runs against the sort of bowling that had earlier caused him considerable problems.

However after a disastrous run in 1996 the confidence seemed to go and events thereafter hardly helped restore it. His later failings were temperamental, his earlier ones technical.

Crawley, well, I always thought his failings were entirely technical. For much of his career he had weakness against the ball outside off-stump at seamer's pace, while being as good off his pads as anyone could really wish to be and almost certainly the best player of spin in the country for many years. He then suffered great misfortune as, after being recalled having finally corrected the fault in 2002 and performed more than credibly, he was then ushered out of the side almost by default.

Ramprakash on the other hand was temperamentally extraordinarily weak in his early years - there was never any consistent dismissal that recurred, he just got out the way he never did at domestic level. He was better later on but still did not score the runs he should have. And every run, every moment he spent at the crease, seemed to require so much effort. Whereas domestically it all always seemed so easy, at least, according to those who watched him.

bryce

International Regular
probaly a bit off-topic, but shouldn't there be some sort of dancing with the stars related caption here

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
At 27.3, Ram Prakash has by far the worst Test batting average of those in this exclusive club.

At just 2 hundreds in 52 Tests, he is the worst in this regard too - by a massive distance from anyone else.

The next at the bottom of that list in these Test related performances is the last gentleman to join the club. Graeme Hick - a Test average of 31.3 in 65 Tests .

Reflects on the declining standards of county cricket where these gentlemen achieved all their 'greatness'. ?

Its good we are not going to have so much more FC cricket in England than anywhere else in the world. That exclusive club can do without inclusion of members with such dubious credentials.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
At 27.3, Ram Prakash has by far the worst Test batting average of those in this exclusive club.

At just 2 hundreds in 52 Tests, he is the worst in this regard too - by a massive distance from anyone else.

The next at the bottom of that list in these Test related performances is the last gentleman to join the club. Graeme Hick - a Test average of 31.3 in 65 Tests .

Reflects on the declining standards of county cricket where these gentlemen achieved all their 'greatness'. ?

Its good we are not going to have so much more FC cricket in England than anywhere else in the world. That exclusive club can do without inclusion of members with such dubious credentials.
With the way that cricket is going these days though, surely that's the only way you'll be able to notch up 100 centuries. Not be good enough to consistently play for your country, and play lots of County cricket in the meantime.