• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My take on Mitchell Johnson

Jakester1288

International Regular
Well, here is my take on Mitchell Johnson.

He is a bowler with potential. He has it all in front of him and needs to take some time to hang around the Australian Cricket team, without playing or being 12th man. He needs to play a couple of seasons in Pura Cup and work on getting his line right. He bowls wide of off stump, where a batsmen can easily cover drive or cut him. He also drifts onto your legs way to much, which any Test Match class batsmen can just flick him away, and score easy runs. The only time he looks remotely dangerous to me is when he is getting the ball to tail in late, which he is not getting to work very often. What are your thoughts on him and how Australia should handle him, as I think he is a potential bowler of the future?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
People (the media in particular) keep talking about Johnson like he's only young. Whilst 27 isn't necessarily old, he can no longer get the leeway for his poor performances based on his potential.

If we wants to play test cricket, he should be made to work his way back into the team from state cricket and dominate a season like Noffke or Bollinger. At the end of the day, Bollinger is only one-hundred days older than Johnson and has the domestic stats to back up a selection in the test side. If Australia is hell-bent on a left arm seamer - he's the better option.

But, now Johnson is a Warrior, I have to stick up for his place in the test side. :p

Jakester1288

International Regular
Australia's line up for the 2008/09 season should look like this in my opinion:

1. Phil Jaques
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke (vc)
6. Andrew Symonds
7. Brad Haddin (wk)
8. Ashley Noffke
9. Brett Lee
10. Stuart Clark
11. Doug Bollinger

Australia don't have a good spinner, so I will rely on Michael Clarke and Andrew Symonds to help fill he spinners role.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In any other side, he'd have been dropped by now. Australia keep winning despite Johnson so they don't bother changing him. That's my take on him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As has been said - you're far from the only one. Very few realise how long Johnson has been around for.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
The issue is that Johnson has started using a lower bowling arm which is compromising his accuracy and bounce in a lame attempt to swing the ball back into the right hander. Wasim Akram, speaking during the Australia series, noted that this was the wrong way to try to swing the ball and that swing comes from the wrist. My opinion is that he is simply not 'wippy' enough in the bowling action to have a low bowling arm or extract any prodigious swing either way.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
WTH. I honestly thought he was like 21-22 maybe 23 max when he played vs England. He also looked really good (or maybe that was just Englands batsmen making him look good).

Jakester1288

International Regular
He's older than Jimmy Anderson. Anderson looks the complete bowler compared to Johnson.
They are both far from a complete bowler. Anderson struggles to find line, but when he does, he is one of the best bowlers in the England line up. Johnson either puts it wide on the off side, where batsmen and just drive or cut him, or he drifts onto your legs, where any Test class batsmen can just flick him off there legs for easy runs. And the only time Johnson looks remotely dangerous is when he's getting some swing, which is never these days.