• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have you ever played in a Tie?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i have played in 2.

first one was back in under 11's, we batted first and and 5/128 from our 28 overs. The other team got 2/128 from their 28 overs.
the rules were stupid back then, you had to retire at 30. I would have scored 50 that day too :!( oh and i took 1 of the 2 wickets.

2nd tie was last season.
Weston creek batted first and made AO 131. in reply were were 8/38 and 9/51, but our last wicket put on 80 and tied the match. Our number 11 whos previous career highest score was 13 made 39. He was the one who got out, got a full toss outside off stump and hit it to point. for the record i made a duck and got 2/12(5) in that game.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Nope but had al ot of 1 wicket or one run wins or losses. Including a one wicket win against Auckland (Kims team) at under 21's this year. I did my best to help lose that one. 5 runs off about 50 balls.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So what would've happened in that "retire at 30" game if your 10th wicket pair were both 29* and you needed 10 more to win?

Would they have had to try and get them in extras as any more runs off the bat and they had to retire?!

Eclipse

International Debutant
I remember the under 14's when you had to retire at 50*

You were allowed to come back to bat though once the last wicket fell.

That was usualy fun I remember comming back 50* and batting with the number 11 batsman who was a total bunny so I just sloged my way to 75 off the last 3 overs.

I think in that situation marc the two batsman would be allowed to keep batting the rule is basicly just in place to make sure everyone gets a bat.

Simon

marc71178 said:
So what would've happened in that "retire at 30" game if your 10th wicket pair were both 29* and you needed 10 more to win?

Would they have had to try and get them in extras as any more runs off the bat and they had to retire?!
eclipse got it right.
once the rest of the team is dismissed you can come back with the number 11.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Haven't played in one (mainly because I'm so inept that any team fielding me is likely to get murdered), but I scored in two in the space of a week last summer. We had quite a spate of ties in Lincolnshire in June/July

Skegness I v Cleethorpes II - Both teams 138ao
(a week after Skegness tied with Alkborough)

Then Caistor U13 v Grimoldby U13...

(Match report regurgitated off Caistor Town CC Play-Cricket)
A miserable morning over the Brigg Road Ground did not bode well for a good game of cricket in the U13 League bottom-of-the-table clash between Caistor Town 'B' and Grimoldby. Caistor 'B' were also missing opener Matt Broughton and wicketkeeper-batsman John Codd. These gaps led to Jamie Patterson opening the innings and Peter Jacob donning the gloves. As the first shower of the match started to fall, visiting captain Gareth Spooner won the toss and elected to field.

Jamie Patterson's début as opener didn't go to plan. On just the second ball, Spooner bowled him and got Grimoldby off to an exceptional start. Ross Barr came in at three to partner Gregson and determinedly avoided another Caistor Town Collapse™. Both played themselves in and then started to increase the run rate, before Gregson skied an attempted pull back to first change bowler Walmsley. Sam Kinnaird lasted two balls, alike Patterson, bowled second ball. 30-3. In-form Andrew Pickup came in at five, and played a good supporting role to Barr as well as punishing the bad balls when they came. Barr was bowled by W.Baker for 24, off a controversial delivery which looked like it well have been a no-ball due to height. In the end it was half-signalled by the square leg umpire, and despite the confusion that followed, Barr was back in the pavilion. Ben Fenton then provided another two-ball duck, once again bowled. 58-5. Déjà vu, anyone? Will Holroyd then partnered Andrew Pickup and played a good supporting role to Pickup, who batted maturely to hold on to the strike and keep the run-rate moving. By the time Holroyd was bowled by Thompson, Caistor were looking good at 74-6. Holroyd's supporting role was such that in 15 minutes at the wicket, he faced just four balls. Peter Jacob then came in to partner Pickup, but it wasn't long before Pickup retired, bringing up 27* with 10 off four balls. Liam Overson faced the final two balls, crashing six off them to leave Caistor 93-6 with Jacob 1*. It was a good total, but could the bowlers keep Grimoldby's top order down to record their first win of the season?

Ashley Thompson opened for Grimoldby and quickly got after the Caistor 'B' bowlers, taking seven off Luke Dunlop's first over. Dunlop fought back to bowl Walmsley for 3 but new batsmen W.Baker played in the same vein as Thompson and Grimoldby raced to 44-1 after 7.1 overs, Dunlop (1-25) and Pickup (0-22) bearing the brunt of the assault. Here, there was a five minute break for rain, as the covers were wheeled to the middle only to go straight back off again as the rain stopped the instant they got there. This delay seemed to take the wind out of Grimoldby's sails and revitalise Caistor. Only two more came off the eighth over and then first change bowler Liam Overson bowled Baker on 15. Ian Marris was then hit for six runs off his first four balls, Thompson reaching 27* off 31 balls and retiring, before Marris hit a rhythm. Garlick skied one to Overson at cover and suddenly Grimoldby were down to numbers five and six. And not for much longer either... Jamie Patterson took a good catch off Spooner, running in at mid wicket to give Marris his second. Roocroft and Jones were the fifth wicket stand, and guided Grimoldby to 75-4 with five overs left - just 19 required. It looked like Grimoldby would coast home. However, Ian Marris had other ideas. Two wickets in one over, Roocroft caught and bowled, a good catch low down moving forwards, and then Hetherington bowled to end with sensational figures of 4-11, and Overson ended with 1-17. Eighteen needed off four. Scott Gregson's first over didn't fit the bill, eight off it. Despite Ross Barr bowling Watkinson on the first ball of the eighteenth, five more came and Grimoldby needed four off two overs. Caistor never stopped believing and Gregson only went for two off his next over to finish with 0-10. Two needed off one - surely they would make this. Not if Ross Barr had anything to do with it. Dot, Dot, Dot. Two off Three. Then a single. Scores Tied. Two balls left. Another dot. How much more tension could you want? As Barr bowled, non-striker Jones charged down the pitch for the single. Gibson missed it and remained rigid in his crease, and young keeper Peter Jacob kept his head and tossed the ball back to Jamie Patterson who knocked off the bails leaving Gibson, far too slow to react, out of his ground and Grimoldby stranded on 93-8, scores tied. Caistor may have won on fewer wickets lost, subject to confirmation, but even if it goes down as a tie in the books, the side are definitely the moral victors with a fantastic end to a classic match.

Relentless optimism has its advantages. At long last Caistor pulled off a result, and in the most dramatic of circumstances. As for the man of the match awards, what is comfortably the team's best bowling performance of the season from Ian Marris takes first, followed by Andrew Pickup's crucial 27* in second, and Ross Barr's 24 and tight final over takes third. The rain at 44-1 played a significant part, too...

Just Holton-le-Clay at Home, AS Grimsby Town at Augusta Street and the 'A'v'B' return match to come. It's time to build on this performance...

Then a week after, Caistor's Midweek XI also tied.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never - and I played in hundreds of games.

The nearest was a game against a Loughborough works team many years (20?) ago.

We made the sensational total of 45 - I got 0.

I opened the bowling and after 3 overs had taken 5-1 (the other opener got a bit of tap but picked up a couple of quick ones too).

I took a blow after 7 or 8 overs and first change then nipped one out.

I think they were 41-8 when I came back on, grabbed another then this guy edged one through the slips for four. At 45-9 it was on - and I bowled a blooming wide. Totally slipped out. Idiot.

Finished with 6-20 or so.

V Reddy

International Debutant
I took part in 2 tied matches. It happened 4-5 yrs back.One was against Hyderabad Public School ( HPS) and the other was against Boston School. I was the youngest member of my school team then :) .It used to be 15 over matches. In both the matches the opposition scored somewhere near 80. Also the score was around 50 when i came in to bat in both the matches. I brought it close from impossible positions or should i say possible but nobody expected me to do it and the main batsman were all out. I was the last batsman out in both the games and in both the games they were full tosses on my leg stump and both the times i sent it back to the bowler while flicking it. I made 17 and 19 in those matches

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
The closest I've ever had a game was when we needed 3 runs to win outright with 2 balls left and I was the next man in and the batter ahead of me went out.

So out I strode, nerves everywhere, the bowler bowls, I hit to it deep mid-wicket, IT DOESN'T MAKE THE F-ING BOUNDARY and I somehow make it home for the 3rd run!

We win, I'm a hero! 8D

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Once. I was playing in a Under 15 match. It was my best all round match as a junior. The opposition batted first and scored 154 off 22 overs. It was a 25 over per side game but we were slow. I took 2/24 off 5 overs which was inexpensive compared to the rest.

In reply I opened and rode my luck (getting dropped 4 or 5 times) to score 90. I got bowled with 4 overs to go with the score on 139. We only needed 16 to win so should have done it easily. With one ball to go, one run to win. The batsman misses it and they scamper a bye. The keeper should have hit the stumps but missed.

We thought that we had won the game. However the batting part of the scorebook added up to 155 and the bowling 153. Due to the scorer's inaccurate scribblings the game was called a tie.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Read This

I've played in two.
The first was in a rep game against Wollongong.
We thought we'd lost but the scorer's had buggered up so we go told later we tied.

BUT
This is the bad one

Another rep game we tied. I was our teams highest scorer with 45, however we tied. During my innings i had 2 short runs, which if completed we woulda won

Simon

thats harsh slats, but how could you do it twice in 1 innings, surely after the first one you would start mking certain you have made your ground. i do on the few occasions its happened to me.

Bazza

International 12th Man
I used to make certain every time. To be honest I would have said running short is a bit of a schoolboy error.

Mr Mxyzptlk

chris.hinton said:
Funny you should mension this because yesturday they was a tie between Aston manor 1st vs Aldridge 1st
Not minding the fact that "this" was mentioned 6 days ago....

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I think it is so easy to be cut short. I don't watch my bat go over the line. I am more concerned about turning at pace and watching the fielder to see if I can get another run. But then I have only been called short one in my life.