• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul is Number 1

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
...for the first time in his career. Terrific achievement.

Chanders tops ICC rankings.

Interesting that Collymore is number 13, the second highest ranked West Indian bowler, and yet he's not been so much as picked in a West Indies squad for a year now.

Dissector

International Debutant
Yes, easily the best batsman in the world at the moment with Kallis and Sanga suffering from a small slump and Ponting being merely decent in the last year or so.

Uppercut

Nah not at all. Sangakkara still struggles away from Sri Lanka to some extent IMO.

Chanderpaul confirmed himself as the best batsman in the world when he averaged 147 over 6 innings against the world's number one team. Not to mention averaging 111 in 2007 and 101 in 2008.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah not at all. Sangakkara still struggles away from Sri Lanka to some extent IMO.
Been more than one occasion in Chanderpaul's career where the same charge could be levelled at him, FTR. Nonetheless, both fantastic LHBs, and both in their own way (Sangakkara stylishness, Chanderpaul curate's-egg-ness) utterly enthralling.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As much as I appreciate the fact that Chanderpaul can bat, I fail to see how a guy that has played in a side that has won 3 meaningful Tests in 5 years can be #1.

He (it) isnt that important. We have seen that teams dont have to focus on him and can let him bat, as he isn't a threat to take the game away, and focus on the other end.

Certainly a good batsman but I wouldn't pick him as #1 in the World.

I accept that I may be being a little harsh, but Ive always seen him as the 'Master of making things look respectable' rather than the 'Master of making things happen'

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Undoubtedly, that's what he is. However,
1) that's all he's been given the chance to be in recent times. We don't know what he'd be if given the chance amongst better batsmen. And it's not like he never played with better batsmen - at a time, he was amongst Lara, Richardson, Campbell, Adams, and several other decent-to-good-of-times batsmen. He still performed well.
2) even being this still merits quite a good bit of credit.

Chanderpaul isn't Lara and never will be, though he can play innings every bit as good as Lara could very occasionally. He's not even Richardson. But he is a very fine batsman and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone convincingly better at the current time.

Days of Grace

International Captain
As much as I appreciate the fact that Chanderpaul can bat, I fail to see how a guy that has played in a side that has won 3 meaningful Tests in 5 years can be #1.

He (it) isnt that important. We have seen that teams dont have to focus on him and can let him bat, as he isn't a threat to take the game away, and focus on the other end.

I accept that I may be being a little harsh, but Ive always seen him as the 'Master of making things look respectable' rather than the 'Master of making things happen'
What does being in a good team have to do with how good a player you are judged to be??

The mere fact that he almost never comes in at 200/2 and is always under pressure to save his team's arse would give him more browny points, IMO.

Natman20

International Debutant
Hes someone thats always seems to be positive amongst a lot of failure. His team may not have won a lot of games but he has been there and managed to take the team along with him to be competitive. One man can't do it alone and thats the problem. He is deffinately classy no matter what the team results say. It was pretty much the same when Lara was there but no-one complained about his class compared with game results.

Majin

International Debutant

Tosh for mine, comfortably the best batsman in the world at the moment and definitely deserves the ranking.

Top_Cat

Can definitely see where you're coming from here; sure bowling attacks could work harder at trying to get him out but why bother when there are far easier wickets to be had at the other end? I agree he's been the beneficiary, even just a little, of this attitude, as was Andy Flower. He's the most accomplished batsman in the last 12 months and deserves him #1 ranking but yeah, I agree he's not the best batsman in the world.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Been on brilliant form lately hasn't he......Would say he's definitely the best active batsman career wise other than Tendulkar but as for who's been best the last year, Chanderpaul hands down.