Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chanderpaul is Number 1

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Chanderpaul is Number 1

...for the first time in his career. Terrific achievement.

Chanders tops ICC rankings.

Interesting that Collymore is number 13, the second highest ranked West Indian bowler, and yet he's not been so much as picked in a West Indies squad for a year now.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

The...er...Twitter[/SIZE][/CENTER]

well deserved. best batsman in the world at the moment for mine.

International Vice-Captain headhunter's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Can't say he doesn't deserve it and one of my favourite players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh View Post
    I'm still bitter about BBC2 showing the signing of the Good Friday Agreement instead of the Simpsons.
    Manager XpertEleven side: BEST Indies FC: Won Champions Cup 1 season 5
    Premiership Last Man Standing: headhunter 26/10-26/11/07 Agent TBY & headhunter (tied) 08/08-25/08/08
    CW Blue - We are the Blues, we never lose.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by headhunter View Post
    Can't say he doesn't deserve it and one of my favourite players.
    Agreed. Absolutely fantastic player.

International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Yes, easily the best batsman in the world at the moment with Kallis and Sanga suffering from a small slump and Ponting being merely decent in the last year or so.

Sangakkara is due to overtake him in this series
    Supporting players: Dinesh Chandimal, Roshen Silva, Kusal Janith, Nuwan Pradeep, Kasun Rajitha, Lahiru Kumara, Akila Dhananjaya, Dhananjaya de Silva

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Haha. No bias then.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    I would actually put Sangakarra ahead of Shiv slightly at the moment, but good on him, he deserves it.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Nah not at all. Sangakkara still struggles away from Sri Lanka to some extent IMO.

Chanderpaul confirmed himself as the best batsman in the world when he averaged 147 over 6 innings against the world's number one team. Not to mention averaging 111 in 2007 and 101 in 2008.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Nah not at all. Sangakkara still struggles away from Sri Lanka to some extent IMO.
    Been more than one occasion in Chanderpaul's career where the same charge could be levelled at him, FTR. Nonetheless, both fantastic LHBs, and both in their own way (Sangakkara stylishness, Chanderpaul curate's-egg-ness) utterly enthralling.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

still scratching around in the same old hole
    As much as I appreciate the fact that Chanderpaul can bat, I fail to see how a guy that has played in a side that has won 3 meaningful Tests in 5 years can be #1.

He (it) isnt that important. We have seen that teams dont have to focus on him and can let him bat, as he isn't a threat to take the game away, and focus on the other end.

Certainly a good batsman but I wouldn't pick him as #1 in the World.

I accept that I may be being a little harsh, but Ive always seen him as the 'Master of making things look respectable' rather than the 'Master of making things happen'
    Last edited by Goughy; 30-07-2008 at 03:30 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Undoubtedly, that's what he is. However,
    1) that's all he's been given the chance to be in recent times. We don't know what he'd be if given the chance amongst better batsmen. And it's not like he never played with better batsmen - at a time, he was amongst Lara, Richardson, Campbell, Adams, and several other decent-to-good-of-times batsmen. He still performed well.
    2) even being this still merits quite a good bit of credit.

Chanderpaul isn't Lara and never will be, though he can play innings every bit as good as Lara could very occasionally. He's not even Richardson. But he is a very fine batsman and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone convincingly better at the current time.

International Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    As much as I appreciate the fact that Chanderpaul can bat, I fail to see how a guy that has played in a side that has won 3 meaningful Tests in 5 years can be #1.

He (it) isnt that important. We have seen that teams dont have to focus on him and can let him bat, as he isn't a threat to take the game away, and focus on the other end.

I accept that I may be being a little harsh, but Ive always seen him as the 'Master of making things look respectable' rather than the 'Master of making things happen'
    What does being in a good team have to do with how good a player you are judged to be??

The mere fact that he almost never comes in at 200/2 and is always under pressure to save his team's arse would give him more browny points, IMO.
    Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), H Larwood, SK Warne, T Richardson, SE Bond

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Hes someone thats always seems to be positive amongst a lot of failure. His team may not have won a lot of games but he has been there and managed to take the team along with him to be competitive. One man can't do it alone and thats the problem. He is deffinately classy no matter what the team results say. It was pretty much the same when Lara was there but no-one complained about his class compared with game results.

TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

Tosh for mine, comfortably the best batsman in the world at the moment and definitely deserves the ranking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information