• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chanderpaul is Number 1

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For one, the ICC Rankings are based on form. But I'm sure you knew that.

I'm not calling Chanderpaul the best batsman in the world, period. Just the best batsman in the world right now. Yes, he's in excellent form. But I'm going further to suggest that Chanderpaul's form has been quality for so long that surely he's a class above merely "very good" batsmen.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even given his poor run as captain, Chanderpaul still has an excellent record over his last 61 matches. I say 61 because it dates back to the series against India when he came of age and realized how to score international hundreds.

Last 61 Tests:
108 innings
21 not outs
5067 runs
58.24 Average
17 hundreds
26 fifties
39.53% conversion
6 ducks

That's a tremendous record over a six-year period.
This isn't a lucky form player who gets to number 1 (like Steve Harmison) only to be revealed as distinctly average. This is a man who has been top class for most of half a decade and has steadily climbed to a deserved number 1 ranking. That too in the worst "proper" Test team in the world.

Last edited: