• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is form transferrable between different formats?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
But it's as simple as this: had Warne taken that catch, Australia would probably have won that Test.
8-)

An innings isn't rendered a nullity because you survive an early let-off. Far from it. The innings he played, having ridden that piece of luck, was quite extraordinary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
At risk of multiple repetition... he had another let-off later on, when Katich should have caught him at mid-on.

As I said - the innings was far from out-and-out poor, there was good batting involved. But had the catch been taken, it wouldn't have happened. Nothing can nor will ever change this. This makes it a good innings rather than an outstanding one.

How vital it turned-out is not altered, obviously - nor how enthralling that day's play was.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There was a half-chance that Tait got his hand to as well, though tbf it is an innings I :wub:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No such thing as a half-chance - something either should be caught or it shouldn't. And that was never, ever going to be caught.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you honestly believe that?

If he was Jonty Rhodes, just maybe, but Tait is a poor athlete and was IMO never going to get both hands on it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
No such thing as a half-chance - something either should be caught or it shouldn't. And that was never, ever going to be caught.
I would class a half-chance as something that a good or very good fielder would catch, an average one might get to, and a bad one has no chance

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, a chance is what the fielder makes it. What would be a chance to some fielders isn't.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you honestly believe that?

If he was Jonty Rhodes, just maybe, but Tait is a poor athlete and was IMO never going to get both hands on it.
No, Tait is 6'4" and built like an Aussie Rules footballer. How many poor athletes do you know who can throw anything as fast as he does?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
No, Tait is 6'4" and built like an Aussie Rules footballer. How many poor athletes do you know who can throw anything as fast as he does?
Hmm, wouldn't describe him as a "naturally skilled". I guess as a pure athlete, he's pretty good. Wouldn't describe him as an athlete in the Brett Lee mould.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, wouldn't describe him as a "naturally skilled". I guess as a pure athlete, he's pretty good. Wouldn't describe him as an athlete in the Brett Lee mould.
Yeah but how many 6'3" fast bowlers like Lee do you know who can bowl as rapid as he past 30 and with bugger-all injuries since his early 20's? He's a bit of a freak. Tait is a reasonable athlete; was a decent footballer for Nairne. Either way, he's hardly a poor athlete.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poor athlete is perhaps the wrong term; "poor fielder" obviously describes him but I thought sounded a bit too simplistic.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
the innings was far from out-and-out poor, there was good batting involved
It's as though any miserable drop of appreciation has to be wrung out of you. As I say, I do really feel sorry for you if you genuinely couldn't appreciate the extraordinary brilliance of that innings. I dare say, however, that you do appreciate it, but are adopting a controversial position for the sake of it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not. As I say, while I may have enjoyed hugely the events of that day, it doesn't mean I look back on it and think "wow, what a brilliant innings". Because, purely and simply, I don't believe it was.

I will not call it a brilliant innings - I will say there was some good stuff about it. And there was. Yes, some parts of it involved brilliance. But there was also a very certain certainty it would have been terminated on 15 if Shane Warne could catch, and on 60-odd if Simon Katich could run. But they couldn't, and the rest is history.