• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Farewell Chris Gayle

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This was reported on CricInfo yesterday. And SportsMax just reported on their news ticket that Chris Gayle has quit the captaincy.

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
This was reported on CricInfo yesterday. And SportsMax just reported on their news ticket that Chris Gayle has quit the captaincy.
I do believe that he was picked because he was a good batsman for them and he did develop some respect from some of the players but it didnt work out since he wasnt a born leader to be honet. i do believe if they really wana change the team then they need to bring a player who is abit more agressive.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I though Chris Gayle did an excellent job as captain actually. West Indies won an ODI series in England, then looked good under him and took a Test in South Africa, then drew a series with Sri Lanka (after competing very well in the first Test) and won the ODI series. Against Australia West Indies looked quite good despite the 2-0 scoreline. The team certainly competed in every Test. In the ODI series the team was doomed to fail by some disastrous selection.

I wasn't a fan of Gayle's initial selection as captain, but I admit that he did a good job. Very sad to see him go, as I can't see anyone in the squad who's been tried in the role who is likely to do better than Gayle. It would have to be a fairly left-field choice.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I thought Chris Gayle did an excellent job as captain actually. West Indies won an ODI series in England, then looked good under him and took a Test in South Africa, then drew a series with Sri Lanka (after competing very well in the first Test) and won the ODI series. Against Australia West Indies looked quite good despite the 2-0 scoreline. The team certainly competed in every Test. In the ODI series the team was doomed to fail by some disastrous selection.

I wasn't a fan of Gayle's initial selection as captain, but I admit that he did a good job. Very sad to see him go, as I can't see anyone in the squad who's been tried in the role who is likely to do better than Gayle. It would have to be a fairly left-field choice.
AWTA

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Apparently he's written to President Hunte and is willing to reconsider should some of his concerns be addressed,. Also got emails asking him to reconsider. Stay tuned.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Since he was installed Chris Gayle has never shied away from criticizing the administration. He's criticized the management (most notably in England last year, during that shambolic tour) and the selectors quite vocally. This appears thus far to be his boldest statement yet. Tbh, while I think resigning the captaincy is an extreme measure, the man has a point or two.

Burgey

I was really pleasantly surprised by his captaincy. The team seemed to really gel well with him in charge. Their record with him in charge has been pretty good too, hasn't it, bearing in mind he's missed a few tests since taking over due to injury?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I was really pleasantly surprised by his captaincy. The team seemed to really gel well with him in charge. Their record with him in charge has been pretty good too, hasn't it, bearing in mind he's missed a few tests since taking over due to injury?
Indeed. I guess even when good things happen to Windies cricket, they simply just don't last.. :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was really pleasantly surprised by his captaincy.
Aye, thought exactly that.

Gayle doesn't strike as a natural leader to me at all, but like Allan Border, he did a far better job than you might expect.

Sarwan to return to the job he lost through injury only?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I always thought Sarwan was the captain and Gayle was filling in while Sarwan was injured. Thus, I was surprised when Gayle kept the captaincy when Sarwan returned. However, he has seen the Windies improve under his captaincy.

Uppercut

Sarwan always seemed a rather conservative and uninspiring captain to me in comparison to Gayle. Really disappointing to see him go, did an excellent job at a very difficult time.

Uppercut

Sarwan only got a game and a half as skipper didn't he?
3 1/2 games, no wins, 2 losses. He did things like having a deep point in place for the first ball of the innings, and bowling Fidel Edwards with no fine leg. He surely would have improved, but Gayle for sure looked the more capable captain to me.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Sarwan was being groomed as captain for years as deputy to at least 3 captains, but all that time IIRC, he was serving under Chanderpaul for Guyana. Madness. He doesn't look captaincy material and, tbh, I'd prefer that he focus on his batting right now, given that he's only just started to look a truly world class batsman this season.

In terms of consistent selection policy he should have received the captaincy as soon as he was fit. But Gayle did such a good job in the role, that inconsistency could be forgiven.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't want to take your thread off topic but it's a really interesting point you raise there. When Attapatu returned from injury in 2006 Jayawardene kept the captaincy after doing such a good job, whereas Strauss got shafted somewhat in the same year when Flintoff returned from injury, seems as Flintoff was only a stand-in himself it was pretty poor.

I think if you get injured and someone does a good job in your place, tough ****. Unless you're pregnant of course as there are laws affecting people in those instances!

Mr Mxyzptlk

I agree and I don't think that Sarwan felt too hard done in the long run because West Indies was a better team under Gayle. It's uncanny because every aspect of his teammates games improved under Gayle, but his batting was probably more disappointing than he before he received the honour.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't want to take your thread off topic but it's a really interesting point you raise there. When Attapatu returned from injury in 2006 Jayawardene kept the captaincy after doing such a good job, whereas Strauss got shafted somewhat in the same year when Flintoff returned from injury, seems as Flintoff was only a stand-in himself it was pretty poor.

I think if you get injured and someone does a good job in your place, tough ****. Unless you're pregnant of course as there are laws affecting people in those instances!
Which could not be applied to cricket and thank God for that. Cricket is not like other means of employment - nor is international cricket employment.

Craig

World Traveller
I though Chris Gayle did an excellent job as captain actually. West Indies won an ODI series in England, then looked good under him and took a Test in South Africa, then drew a series with Sri Lanka (after competing very well in the first Test) and won the ODI series. Against Australia West Indies looked quite good despite the 2-0 scoreline. The team certainly competed in every Test. In the ODI series the team was doomed to fail by some disastrous selection.

Well I'm racking my brains for this one.