Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewell Chris Gayle

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar

Farewell Chris Gayle

This was reported on CricInfo yesterday. And SportsMax just reported on their news ticket that Chris Gayle has quit the captaincy.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

School Boy/Girl Captain WhatisRight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    This was reported on CricInfo yesterday. And SportsMax just reported on their news ticket that Chris Gayle has quit the captaincy.
    I do believe that he was picked because he was a good batsman for them and he did develop some respect from some of the players but it didnt work out since he wasnt a born leader to be honet. i do believe if they really wana change the team then they need to bring a player who is abit more agressive.

I though Chris Gayle did an excellent job as captain actually. West Indies won an ODI series in England, then looked good under him and took a Test in South Africa, then drew a series with Sri Lanka (after competing very well in the first Test) and won the ODI series. Against Australia West Indies looked quite good despite the 2-0 scoreline. The team certainly competed in every Test. In the ODI series the team was doomed to fail by some disastrous selection.

I wasn't a fan of Gayle's initial selection as captain, but I admit that he did a good job. Very sad to see him go, as I can't see anyone in the squad who's been tried in the role who is likely to do better than Gayle. It would have to be a fairly left-field choice.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    I thought Chris Gayle did an excellent job as captain actually. West Indies won an ODI series in England, then looked good under him and took a Test in South Africa, then drew a series with Sri Lanka (after competing very well in the first Test) and won the ODI series. Against Australia West Indies looked quite good despite the 2-0 scoreline. The team certainly competed in every Test. In the ODI series the team was doomed to fail by some disastrous selection.

I wasn't a fan of Gayle's initial selection as captain, but I admit that he did a good job. Very sad to see him go, as I can't see anyone in the squad who's been tried in the role who is likely to do better than Gayle. It would have to be a fairly left-field choice.
    AWTA
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Apparently he's written to President Hunte and is willing to reconsider should some of his concerns be addressed,. Also got emails asking him to reconsider. Stay tuned.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Since he was installed Chris Gayle has never shied away from criticizing the administration. He's criticized the management (most notably in England last year, during that shambolic tour) and the selectors quite vocally. This appears thus far to be his boldest statement yet. Tbh, while I think resigning the captaincy is an extreme measure, the man has a point or two.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I was really pleasantly surprised by his captaincy. The team seemed to really gel well with him in charge. Their record with him in charge has been pretty good too, hasn't it, bearing in mind he's missed a few tests since taking over due to injury?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I was really pleasantly surprised by his captaincy. The team seemed to really gel well with him in charge. Their record with him in charge has been pretty good too, hasn't it, bearing in mind he's missed a few tests since taking over due to injury?
    Indeed. I guess even when good things happen to Windies cricket, they simply just don't last..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I was really pleasantly surprised by his captaincy.
    Aye, thought exactly that.

Gayle doesn't strike as a natural leader to me at all, but like Allan Border, he did a far better job than you might expect.

Sarwan to return to the job he lost through injury only?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    I always thought Sarwan was the captain and Gayle was filling in while Sarwan was injured. Thus, I was surprised when Gayle kept the captaincy when Sarwan returned. However, he has seen the Windies improve under his captaincy.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Sarwan always seemed a rather conservative and uninspiring captain to me in comparison to Gayle. Really disappointing to see him go, did an excellent job at a very difficult time.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Sarwan only got a game and a half as skipper didn't he?
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Sarwan only got a game and a half as skipper didn't he?
    3 1/2 games, no wins, 2 losses. He did things like having a deep point in place for the first ball of the innings, and bowling Fidel Edwards with no fine leg. He surely would have improved, but Gayle for sure looked the more capable captain to me.

Sarwan was being groomed as captain for years as deputy to at least 3 captains, but all that time IIRC, he was serving under Chanderpaul for Guyana. Madness. He doesn't look captaincy material and, tbh, I'd prefer that he focus on his batting right now, given that he's only just started to look a truly world class batsman this season.

In terms of consistent selection policy he should have received the captaincy as soon as he was fit. But Gayle did such a good job in the role, that inconsistency could be forgiven.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Don't want to take your thread off topic but it's a really interesting point you raise there. When Attapatu returned from injury in 2006 Jayawardene kept the captaincy after doing such a good job, whereas Strauss got shafted somewhat in the same year when Flintoff returned from injury, seems as Flintoff was only a stand-in himself it was pretty poor.

I think if you get injured and someone does a good job in your place, tough ****. Unless you're pregnant of course as there are laws affecting people in those instances!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information