• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FC All-rounders

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Right, something that's had my attention for the last few days has been all-rounders in First Class cricket and how their performances matched up against each other.

I'm particularly keen on hearing about events/stories/players/statistics from after WWII, with the likes of Mike Procter, Clive Rice, Frank Worrell etc competing with some of the more famous all-rounders of the 1980's. I don't want to turn this into a Miller vs Sobers kind of thread, but I am very interested in hearing how people rate some of the lesser talked about all-rounders. Obviously Rice and Procter didn't have long Test careers for obvious reasons, but in terms of ability and FC performances, how did they compare against those who did get a decent crack at Test level.

Hope that makes sense?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Rice was a top quality batsman and a very useful medium quick bowler. His time at Notts was perfect with Hadlee (quality bowler and very useful batsman) as they complimented each other perfectly.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All I can say about Clive Rice is that Richard Hadlee held him in extremely high regard obviously playing with him at Notts for all those years. Hadlee suggested that he would have been rated up with the 4 allrounders of the 80s if he played test cricket. Don't know how much of that was just mates talk though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's not only pre-WWII but pre-WWI, but George Hirst was one of the very best there's ever been. Real, real shame his Test performances were mostly pretty poor, especially overseas.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm particularly keen on hearing about events/stories/players/statistics from after WWII, with the likes of Mike Procter, Clive Rice, Frank Worrell

Proctor and Rice both gave the impression that they would have been able to bat at 6 and take the new ball at Test level, though such judgement is with less certainty than is usually given to other South African greats like Barry Richards who could have been the greatest opening batsman of all time. Frank Worrell was a great batsman.............

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rice's time at Notts did compare quite favourable with the other all-rounders of that era. The first figure is batting average for English county sides, the second is bowling average.

Rice - 44.29 and 23.58
Botham - 34.30 and 27.22
Hadlee - 38.76 and 14,51
Dev - 42.81 and 26.49
Imran - 38.46 and 21.07
Procter - 36.19 and 19.56

Of those who wrote about the game, have many compared Procter and Rice to the famous all-rounders of the 70's and 80's? If so, where are they ranked?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This may be interesting

The Cricket Society Wetherall Awards for "Leading All-Rounder in the English First-Class Game" each year for 1967-2007

Between 77-87 Rice and Hadlee won the award 6 times combined.

There is also the award for young allrounder which interestingly Bopara has won the previous 2 years.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

Welp, Keith Miller's FC record is:

Bat: 48.9
Ball: 22.3, SR 56.4

I think this includes his Test matches as well; subtracting them:

Bat: 53.5
Ball: 22, SR. 53.9

I don't think anyone surpasses these. The perfect all-rounder.

*Should add, I think a portion of his career he could not bowl because of injuries.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
This may be interesting

The Cricket Society Wetherall Awards for "Leading All-Rounder in the English First-Class Game" each year for 1967-2007

Between 77-87 Rice and Hadlee won the award 6 times combined.

There is also the award for young allrounder which interestingly Bopara has won the previous 2 years.
Warnie won in 2005. :laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
Welp, Keith Miller's FC record is:

Bat: 48.9
Ball: 22.3, SR 56.4

I think this includes his Test matches as well; subtracting them:

Bat: 53.5
Ball: 22, SR. 53.9

I don't think anyone surpasses these. The perfect all-rounder.

*Should add, I think a portion of his career he could not bowl because of injuries.
Armstrong might come close figure wise. Net's not working properly so can't look it up though.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did Hadlee really average 14.51 with the ball in County cricket? Blimey, that's phenomenal.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Did Hadlee really average 14.51 with the ball in County cricket? Blimey, that's phenomenal.
In FC for Notts rather than CC though they include most of the same games.

An amazing season in '87 with 97 wickets at 12.64 :-O

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In FC for Notts rather than CC though they include most of the same games.

An amazing season in '87 with 97 wickets at 12.64 :-O
It was a great performance but to be fair during most of the time Hadlee and Rice were at Trent Bridge the pitch was so green you often couldn't defferentiate between it and the outfield.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Thilan Samaraweera

batting, 44.93, bowling 23.36 (SR 50.1) in 193 matches,

Last edited: