• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranatunga asks players to give England tour a priority

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Earlier this year the SLC approached the Indian board for financial assistance after Ranatunga revealed the board was surviving on a $6 million bank overdraft. Though it expects to earn $17 million this year from international commitments home and abroad, a cancellation could reverse their fortunes.
It sickens me that the ICC is spending $300 million on global development while its own Test members are surviving on bank overdrafts. Help out NZ, SL and WI! Hong Kong cricket is a nice theory, but you can't have SL and WI going under.

Craig

World Traveller
I can't believe Sri Lanka is struggling that badly. How popular is cricket in Sri Lanka compared to say an India or Pakistan?

Dissector

International Debutant
Agreed. I think the global potential of cricket and test cricket in particular is limited. Supporting the existing test sides that are struggling should absolutely be the financial priority of the ICC.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Look at the second-most popular (it seems) sport worldwide. It's Formula 1 racing. Yet, we find that the drivers are predominantly European (just five or six nations), South American (often Brazil or Argentina) and Japanese (only two now). The cars and car companies are again predominantly from Europe (is that a surprise?) and Japan. Venues are a little more widespread, but still concentrated in Europe and a little in South America, then Malaysia, Japan, Bahrain and soon China. Even the United States is not a participant here at all now. Yet, it's not a problem, because F1 is still quite competitive and the quality is high, and it's popular all over Asia, even in the Indian subcontinent.

Cricket, on the other hand, in its bid to go global, is suffering a severe drop in quality. Initiatives like getting in more teams for the Champions Trophy, the Asia Cup and the World Cup have resulted in too many matches that don't deserve top-level international status, and several whole teams that don't deserve to be considered international quality. Even top-level teams like SL, WI, NZ and India have suffered severe slumps in form. Now we find that Sri Lanka and West Indies (and possibly NZ) are very short of money. Surely, the international cricket establishment need to strengthen themselves from within rather than expand.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It sickens me that the ICC is spending $300 million on global development while its own Test members are surviving on bank overdrafts. Help out NZ, SL and WI! Hong Kong cricket is a nice theory, but you can't have SL and WI going under.
Split the Zim budget between them.

Also, if you listen to certain people from certain countries then they believe the financial issues are down to poor management.

Not nec. corruption but not being skilled enough to capitalise on the market and product.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Split the Zim budget between them.

Also, if you listen to certain people from certain countries then they believe the financial issues are down to poor management.

Not nec. corruption but not being skilled enough to capitalise on the market and product.
Yes, they might be. Even so, you cannot be spending $300 million dollars frivolously while some of your main countries are struggling like this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They usually suffer severe slumps in form whenever they leave Sri Lanka, unless they're going to Pakistan.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
They usually suffer severe slumps in form whenever they leave Sri Lanka, unless they're going to Pakistan.
:laugh:

The various reports (rumours or otherwise) about SL players not being paid for months, etc. are very worrying. Okay, so I guess the senior players make a pretty decent living from advertising, etc. but what about the rest?

If that's really the case, why should they accept the board's decision and head off to England, ignoring the IPL commitments that actually put bread on the table?

I'm sure the players, possibly more than some other teams, value Test cricket above all else, but there comes a point where you have to take a stand.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

The various reports (rumours or otherwise) about SL players not being paid for months, etc. are very worrying. Okay, so I guess the senior players make a pretty decent living from advertising, etc. but what about the rest?

If that's really the case, why should they accept the board's decision and head off to England, ignoring the IPL commitments that actually put bread on the table?

I'm sure the players, possibly more than some other teams, value Test cricket above all else, but there comes a point where you have to take a stand.
I guess the point is (and Im playing Devils Advocate as I understand the players POV) is that unless the SL Cricket Board goes on tours like this then there is no money to pay people.

If the players dont do tours like this then SL will always struggle for money. Its a massive revenue opportunity that cant really be turned down.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The ECB should try and get the Sri Lankans on board for a rival Champions League, for political reasons more than anything.

Can't fault the players for wanting to play in the IPL though, particularly as the England tour wasn't on the table when they signed their contracts.