• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket in the US

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
There were twenty-five (25) established leagues, and about six hundred (600) cricket clubs, one could actually name in the US in June 2000.
one of the inetresting stats

In 2000, therefore, around 10,000 active, full-season cricketers are probably registered to play cricket in the USA.

An estimated one-quarter of this 10,000, around 2500, play in the New York/New Jersey area. The rest---a growing number, as well as an increasing percentage of the total---are distributed across the USA, in newly developing centers of cricket.

These are impressive numbers, indeed. Only the nine major cricketing nations have as many (or more) active cricketers than there presently are in the US.

In terms of the number of active cricketers, the US is ahead of Bangladesh or Kenya, and is approaching the participation levels of Zimbabwe or Sri Lanka. Kenya, for example, operates off a base of about 5,000 active players; Bangladesh has around 10,000. Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe, on the other hand, have around 20,000 active players.

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Age_Master,
Precisely! While I would venture to say that there are relatively few native-born Americans in those numbers, the fact that we have that many people in this country interested in the game tells me there's an untapped potential there that someone has to see....
I know from where I sit, the game it thriving, and I know that if there is a concerted effort to bring the game to the youth of America, you'll see it grow exponentially. Just look at youth soccer... 20 years ago it was just getting started. Now we have world class soccer players competing on the world stage (and the ladies are consistently one of the top contenders internationally!).
That's why Tri-City CC does what it does to promote the game here in our corner of the world. And I know we're not the only ones.

Steve Weisse
President - Tri-City CC
Schenectady, NY

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yes i saw a thing in the paper today about super freak soccer player Freddy Adu (top player in CM4 i might add :)

yes it would be interesting to see how many native americans do play cricket, not that it matters much, as long as more take it up.

personally i would like to travel to the US (in the next couple of years) to see what the level of playing (and playing conditions) is like. especially as i assume your local councils dont build many cricket pitches in local parks for you like we have here in australia.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
yes it would be interesting to see how many native americans do play cricket, not that it matters much, as long as more take it up.
If you are ever interested, I could set you up with a club in California with members from all nations (USA, India, England, NZ etc). Including a lot of Aussies.

habib007_59

Cricket Spectator
hi,
i am looking for a club to play this season . i am a fine all-rounder from Pakistan, R/A Spin and R/H batsman . i have been playing a lot of Cricket in Pakistan. I want to play cricket. I am very fine player. I will prove myself in the ground. Plz give me a Chance. I am very punctual and hardworking player. if I was given a chance than i will prove that I am the best.