• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For batting at #3 Dean Jones or Ricky Ponting?

Who would u pick??

• Total voters

Bouncer

State Regular
some folks are really getting tired of these threads but i have to do this one.

Jones faced, wasim, imran, waqar, Marshall, ambrose, Walsh, Hadlee, Botham, Kapil....whereas ponting did not face same quailty fast bowling since he went on scoring ton of runs. so Ricky will end up with more runs than Jones at end of his career.

But who would u take as ur # 3 batsman.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I would have named a name but on second thoughts I don't really want to participate in this kind of thread

Last edited:

Bouncer

State Regular
Ponting every time.
Jones was a good player, Ponting is an all-time great.

And I speak as someone who dislikes the smug hairy little George W Bush lookalike with every fibre in my being.
But ponting didnt face the same quality bowling as Jones did....you can not find single bowler who can say that he had a wood on Jones whereas Ricky has struggled against harbhajan...mind u he scored very many runs against him too.

one of the areas wher Ricky can calim to have an advantage is the playing a long inning...Ricky has quite few double 100's and may be he is good at making it count after getting in..but that again brings us back to same qs of quality of bowling he faced vs quality of bowling Jones faced.

Jones in ODI's was almost as big a player as Viv from 87 -- 91....so how could somebody who does almost as good as Viv does not deserve to beat Ricky for # 3 spot?

Oh also....Jones batted with a bat made of 100% willow...no graphite.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
You have resuscitated my post (pre-editing) by quoting it. Well people can read it if they like but I have decided not to get involved in this sort of thread any more (unless it's an exceptionally good one). Bye!

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Nikamme - Jones as big as Viv in ODIs ? Go cook some good food in Minnesota and serve it to Anish Bhai, If he likes the food he will let you watch some of those pakistanimedia.com videos(of Viv's batting) which are sitting on his server.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
ricky at 3 for both, the guy has come of age 1st wen he moved to the number 3 and then wen he got given the captaincy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't really understand the poll options TBH.

Ponting > Jones in Tests under any circumstances, whatever batting position. Jones > Ponting as a ODI player for me - of the "old" (1970s and 1980s - and yes Jones played on into the 1990s for some time) ODI class, only Vivian Richards compares, and there's not really a particularly massive amount between them if you don't judge too much on whose best innings were better and do judge on who played good innings with how much regularity.

Bouncer

State Regular
Nikamme - Jones as big as Viv in ODIs ? Go cook some good food in Minnesota and serve it to Anish Bhai, If he likes the food he will let you watch some of those pakistanimedia.com videos(of Viv's batting) which are sitting on his server.
There is a huge difference between "as big as" and "almost as big a player a" which is what i said. Read richard's post below

seems like u have too many issues that u were unable to settle with anees and it still hurts!:laugh:

Richard said:
whatever batting position. Jones > Ponting as a ODI player for me - of the "old" (1970s and 1980s - and yes Jones played on into the 1990s for some time) ODI class, only Vivian Richards compares, and there's not really a particularly massive amount between them if you don't judge too much on whose best innings were better and do judge on who played good innings with how much regularity.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No-one has the wood on Deano? Perhaps ask Richard Hadlee about that one.

Dean Jones was my favourite player growing up but Ponting in Tests at 3, especially since Deano was much better at 5 anyway (:p) and for ODI's, I'd still give it to Ponting but it's much closer. Both good back-foot, leg-side players but Jones was a horrific starter against even mediocre bowling and Ponting is more technically sound and versatile, especially off the front-foot through the off-side.

Uppercut

You have resuscitated my post (pre-editing) by quoting it. Well people can read it if they like but I have decided not to get involved in this sort of thread any more (unless it's an exceptionally good one). Bye!
Sorry to try to lure you out of your abstinence, but why not? Do you just find comparisons rather tedious?

Craig

World Traveller
Dean Jones - even more dumber then Mohammas Asif and Brad Hodge (when he speaks etc.).

I think most people will know the reference to a famous ODI at Adelaide between Australia and the West Indies.

Top_Cat

Dean Jones - even more dumber then Mohammas Asif and Brad Hodge (when he speaks etc.).

I think most people will know the reference to a famous ODI at Adelaide between Australia and the West Indies.
If you're referring to the white armband, that was at the SCG wasn't it?

It was silly to provoke Ambi but when he puts on red wrist bands during the Test series and white ones during the ODI series, well, it's interesting isn't it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Not to mention commentary stints and terrorists, etc.

Odd thing is, Dean Jones doesn't immediately strike me as especially dumb (he's obviously not Einsten, but few are). Just someone who often speaks or acts without thinking. Not unlike a Shane Warne.

Craig

World Traveller
If you're referring to the white armband, that was at the SCG wasn't it?

It was silly to provoke Ambi but when he puts on red wrist bands during the Test series and white ones during the ODI series, well, it's interesting isn't it?
Positive it was at the Adelaide Oval, but you maybe correct.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry to try to lure you out of your abstinence, but why not? Do you just find comparisons rather tedious?
I don't mean any offence to the person who started the thread or those who participate but yes I find these sorts of threads a bit tedious. Particularly those about players from different eras (eg Davison or Wasim?). I'm not saying I'll never participate again though, given a sufficiently tempting bait (Gower v Mark Waugh perhaps?)...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
one of the areas wher Ricky can calim to have an advantage is the playing a long inning...Ricky has quite few double 100's and may be he is good at making it count after getting in..but that again brings us back to same qs of quality of bowling he faced vs quality of bowling Jones faced.
Ricky Ponting has never scored a Test double hundred.

Ponting by miles though.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ricky Ponting has never scored a Test double hundred.

Ponting by miles though.
Ponting has made four test double hundreds and twice caught a few runs shy of other test double hundreds.

BTW, shouldn't this be one of those polls where you can pick multiple options?