• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Recommended Cricket Bats

kevcarlisle

Cricket Spectator
Hi,

I'm a regular cricket player at village level in England and I am an opening batsman but I don't own my own bat since my tried and trusted Duncan Fearnley split earlier this year.

I really need to buy a bat but I don't have more than £60 really.

Are there any cheap bats or makes that I can get at this price??

The shop near me sells all kinds of bats quite cheap but I'm not sure if they will be good enough to last me.

Linen covered bats are a bit cheap and supposedly not very good??

Has anyone any recommendations??

kevcarlisle

Cricket Spectator
I will require a short handle bat as I am 5ft11, I also require a really light bat as I don't have much power and I have only hit a couple of sixes in my life. I normally just push the ball for singles.

I don't play at a high standard but require a bat that will be good enough for what I need.

is Kashmir Willow worth buying for my level of cricket?

Polo23

International Debutant
I will require a short handle bat as I am 5ft11, I also require a really light bat as I don't have much power and I have only hit a couple of sixes in my life. I normally just push the ball for singles.

I don't play at a high standard but require a bat that will be good enough for what I need.

Kashmir Willow wont be good enough for almost any level of cricket that uses a hard ball. Kashmir is only really used for kids cricket (where they use rubber balls) or indoor cricket. It is shocking stuff.

For $180 NZ (roughly 60 pounds) you would be looking at probably a 3rd/4th grade English Willow bat (which is 10 times better than any Kashmir Willow bat).

If you want something light you might like to look at the GM Purist 505, Slazenger also make a good range of pretty light bats. You also make like to take a look on ebay, you can get some great bats for very good prices i've found.

The best thing to do would be to go into a store and find the bats which suit your criteria (weight and price wise) then do a bit of shadow batting with them. You will know soon enough if the bat suits you or not.

Hopefully this helps...

Last edited:

sanga1337

U19 Captain

Well here are a few examples. Not sure how good they are but oh well.

http://www.cricketdirect.com/acatalog/copy_of_bats_cobra.html

http://www.crickethaven.co.uk/cricket-bats-detail.php?id=5

http://www.worldcricketstore.com/product_detail.asp?id=7489&id_pclass=297&callingpage=product_listing

You might need to spend a bit more to get a better bat but its worth it. My experience with kashmir willow isn't great as my old one split in half. So I don't really trust them. For around 80 pounds you should be able to get a decent bat. You could get an English willow bat for 60 pounds but Im not sure what the quality will be like.

Lord_fez

Cricket Spectator
First rule of any cricket equipment when you are buying on a budget is buy it in the off season when the new kit is released. I would also suggest that you will be struggling to get anything that will last for £60. Chances are you will buying another in a year or two unless you get lucky, in april I got a puma stealth 5000 from last season for £100 (reduced from £175) and havn;t looked back, by for the best bat purchase I've ever made (so far).

Other than that, if you can't borrow for the last couple of months of the season ebay is a good shout. However, as an opener sure you know that unless you get to feel it first there is no point buying here as "not feeling right" is no reason to return a product on a site like this.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sorry mate, what I meant was - once you start taking pot shots at newer posters about where and how they should post, you're really part of the CW community. Nothing bad about it.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, I had to buy a new bat the other day for the first time in about 5 years.
Went for some Slazenger thing, can't even remember what it's called, but it was reduced as it had last year's stickers on it. Anyway, it's light to pick up but looks like the sword of Damocles, the edges are that thick.
So I'm happy I got it, despite it being the wonderfully bargin price of $485 (gulp!!).

Then I get home last night, turn on the box, and Ian Bell's using the same type of bat.

Dire.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
you could probably get an asian bat for around 80 pounds. SS, SG, BDM, CA are some of the better asian brands. I have an SG Sunny tonny bat, which is G2ish english willow that I got for $180 US (around 90 pounds) and i've been pretty satisfied.

BHG86

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I spent £220 on a GM Purist Original LE...ouch. Cracking bat though.

My mate picked up an RBK bat, brand new, off E-bay for £30. I don't use E-bay myself but I have had a look through and you could find a decent bat there for £60 easily, one that you would pay upto £150 for in the shops.

Personally I'm GM and Salix mad, but there's nothing wrong with any of the more reputable makes really...

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
I spent £220 on a GM Purist Original LE...ouch. Cracking bat though.

My mate picked up an RBK bat, brand new, off E-bay for £30. I don't use E-bay myself but I have had a look through and you could find a decent bat there for £60 easily, one that you would pay upto £150 for in the shops.

Personally I'm GM and Salix mad, but there's nothing wrong with any of the more reputable makes really...
ebay can be a dangerous place to buy a cricket bat because of the number of fakes online. using common sense can help prevent making a disastrous purchase.

US based sites often sell asian bats for cheap, but i'm not sure of the difficulties of shipping overseas.