• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ind/Pak vs Aus

which one?

• Total voters

ret

International Debutant
which Ind-Pak team will you pick to play the Aus team below

Aus
- Hayden
- Langer
- Ponting
- Chappell
- Border
- Waugh
- Gilchrist
- Warne
- Lillie
- Thompson
- McGrath

Team A - Ind/Pak [19975-1990]
- Gavaskar
- Shastri
- Abbas
- Miandad
- Vishwanath
- Amarnath
- Imran
- Kapil
- Kirmani
- Sarfaraz
- Bedi

Team B - Ind/Pak [1991 onwards]
- Anwar
- Sehwag
- Dravid
- Tendulkar
- Inzi
- MoYo
- Dhoni
- Wasim
- Kumble
- Waqar
- Akthar

Bouncer

State Regular
Team A - Ind/Pak [19975-1990]
- Gavaskar
- Shastri
- Abbas
- Miandad
- Vishwanath
- Amarnath
- Imran
- Kapil
- Kirmani
- Sarfaraz
- Bedi
- Gavaskar
- Majid Khan for his sheer class and ability to play fast bowlers or Mohsin Hasan Khan just look up his record against AUS. to me either one of these would be better suited vs AUS than shastri
- Abbas
- Miandad
- Vishwanath
- Asif Iqbal (although it can be argued that who was better batsmen between asif and mohinder but asif's ability to play along with tail and fighting skills are important factor so at this number he would be my choice + how was mohinder batting at this number?)
- Imran
- Kapil
- Kirmani
- Sarfaraz
- Bedi

Team B - Ind/Pak [1991 onwards]
- Anwar
- Sehwag
- Dravid
- Tendulkar
- Inzi
- MoYo
- Dhoni
- Wasim
- Kumble
- Waqar
- Akthar
- Anwar
- Sehwag
- Dravid
- Tendulkar
- Inzi
- MoYo
- Dhoni (has dhoni proven himself at test level as keeper/batsmen, would u ruthar take him over either Rashid/Moin to keep against wasim, waqar and shoiab at 90MPH?)
- Wasim
- Kumble
- Waqar
- Akthar

ret

International Debutant
let's combine the two team and see how the team looks

- Gavaskar
- Sehwag
- Dravid
- Tendulkar
- Miandad
- Abbas
- Dhoni [or Kirmani]
- Imran
- Kapil [or Waqar]
- Wasim
- Kumble

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
sunil gavaskar
hanif mohammed
javed miandad
sachin tendulkar
inzamam ul-haq
imran khan
kapil dev
wasim akram
waqar younis
anil kumble
wasim bari

this side would give the top aussie side a run for their money.....there are enough great players of spin to counter anything warne throws at them, an aussie pace attack comprising any 3-4 of say lillee, mcgrath, lindwall, thommo, davidson et al would still be very formidable but thanks to the great pakistani pacemen, and india-pak side would have more or less equal fire power...fielding is one area where the aussies would hold a definite edge...should be a terrific series...

Fusion

Global Moderator
sunil gavaskar
hanif mohammed
javed miandad
sachin tendulkar
inzamam ul-haq
imran khan
kapil dev
wasim akram
waqar younis
anil kumble
wasim bari
I think this would be my combined XI as well. Agree with Anil that it would give Australia a tough game indeed.

FRAZ

International Captain
Hanif
Gawaskar
Dravid
Sourav
Sachin
Javed Miandad
Imran Khan
Moin Khan
Waqar Younis
Anil Kumble
Shoaib Akhtar
Sourav and Sachin may become good part time bowlers .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think this would be my combined XI as well. Agree with Anil that it would give Australia a tough game indeed.
  1. Hanif Mohammad
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Inzamam Ul-Haq
  6. Javed Miandad
  7. Imran Khan
  8. Syed Kirmani
  9. Kapil Dev
  10. Wasim Akram
  11. Waqar Younis

Bats until 10! This is ridiculously deep. I don't see where this would lose a game, on the strength of batting alone. And bowling is no small potatoes either. We would switch out Dev for a spinner at home.

Fusion

Global Moderator
  1. Hanif Mohammad
  2. Sunil Gavaskar
  3. Rahul Dravid
  4. Sachin Tendulkar
  5. Inzamam Ul-Haq
  6. Javed Miandad
  7. Imran Khan
  8. Syed Kirmani
  9. Kapil Dev
  10. Wasim Akram
  11. Waqar Younis

Bats until 10! This is ridiculously deep. I don't see where this would lose a game, on the strength of batting alone. And bowling is no small potatoes either. We would switch out Dev for a spinner at home.

Essentially the major change you have from Anil’s team is putting in Dravid for Kumble. Strengthens the batting for sure. My personal preference though has always been to have a 4 seamers + 1 spinner attack. Besides, I would argue that the team Anil posted could bat till 10 as well (I would have Bari and Kumble come in before Waqar). Strength of the batting would not be as great as your team, but I would get to keep both Dev and Kumble in the team.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Essentially the major change you have from Anil’s team is putting in Dravid for Kumble. Strengthens the batting for sure. My personal preference though has always been to have a 4 seamers + 1 spinner attack. Besides, I would argue that the team Anil posted could bat till 10 as well (I would have Bari and Kumble come in before Waqar). Strength of the batting would not be as great as your team, but I would get to keep both Dev and Kumble in the team.
Kumble would be sorely out of place on most wickets compared to the other bowlers. I would not have a spinner outside of India. There won't be much he can do that a seamer couldn't do better, and in more situations.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Kumble would be sorely out of place on most wickets compared to the other bowlers. I would not have a spinner outside of India. There won't be much he can do that a seamer couldn't do better, and in more situations.
it depends on the seamer though, kumble has shown in recent years that he can perform well abroad, forget being out of place...what pace bowler from india or pakistan(other than imran, akram, younis and possibly kapil) would you consider better than him?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
it depends on the seamer though, kumble has shown in recent years that he can perform well abroad, forget being out of place...what pace bowler from india or pakistan(other than imran, akram, younis and possibly kapil) would you consider better than him?
Overseas? All of the four. And probably a bunch more like Akhtar. Overseas, even with his improvement, he is not more than a 'good' player. You need better than that in an all time side.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Overseas? All of the four. And probably a bunch more like Akhtar. Overseas, even with his improvement, he is not more than a 'good' player. You need better than that in an all time side.
ok i don't think any of the other bowlers(spin or pace) in either india or pakistan are more proven performers in any condition compared to kumble...and bowlers like akhtar hasn't done nearly enough to warrant a consideration in any all-time side for mine...in my mind, when you talk about all-time credentials, you are really not talking about potential but about accomplishments spread over exceptional careers...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
ok i don't think any of the other bowlers(spin or pace) in either india or pakistan are more proven performers in any condition compared to kumble...and bowlers like akhtar hasn't done nearly enough to warrant a consideration in any all-time side for mine...
That's why he is not in mine.....

But Kumble isn't great outside India, its a waste of space to have him.

Fusion

Global Moderator
When we do these fun hypothetical exercises, I always pick the players based on their overall career achievements. If you are considering switching Dev/Kumble depending on playing at home or away, then you can just as easily look at other factors. What’s their record against Australia for example? How do they perform in the batting position we’re placing them (as I’m sure some would have to play out of their regular positions to fit into the team). They’re too many variables there. I like to keep it simple: pick an all-time XI that you would pick to play for you anytime, anywhere, any condition.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
When we do these fun hypothetical exercises, I always pick the players based on their overall career achievements. If you are considering switching Dev/Kumble depending on playing at home or away, then you can just as easily look at other factors. What’s their record against Australia for example? How do they perform in the batting position we’re placing them (as I’m sure some would have to play out of their regular positions to fit into the team). They’re too many variables there. I like to keep it simple: pick an all-time XI that you would pick to play for you anytime, anywhere, any condition.
well said, that's almost exactly what i wanted to say...kumble offers some quality variety in the attack, maybe more so in the subcontinent than outside but that doesn't mean that he will be a non-factor abroad...