• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

On Panesar

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
In the past (albeit distant past now) there was more often than not a balanced attack of two seamers, two spinners and an allrounder who was the third seamer. The spinners weren't there expecting to bowl a team out in the first innings, they were there to take advantage of a wearing pitch in the second innings. If a good spinner could bowl a team out in the second innings he could quite happily be "carried" for the rest of the game.
These days everyone is expected to contribute everything, that's why we end up with a string of highly imcompetent wicket-keepers and someone like Ashley Giles being number one spinner just because he can score a few runs.
Spot on.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That question is not valid anymore.

What one can ask, in my opinion, is ... Do you think ICC's new definition of what constitutes "chucking" is correct/fair/justified etc etc?
Probably, yeah. And unless someone can think of a better definition, and i don't see how they can, that question too isn't particularly valid. I just thought he may be able to shed a bit of light on the topic with his interest in the technicalities of spin bowling.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The England team would be immeasureably better with him back at his best - hope he conquers his demons

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes please. Hope it works out... He has at least 2-3 years left and England need him at his best in India and Bangladesh next year.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After seeing what has happened to South Africa again today the selectors could do a lot worse than give him a gig for the upcoming series