• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The boredom of test cricket?

Mard

Banned
ok guys i have to admit this, i can't stand test cricket some times. The boredom of watching a batsmen who keeps defending or leaving the ball just gets to me. I dont understand how people pay money to watch test cricket? I dont mind watching exciting test matches but most of that matches are really boring. How do you guys watch when a batsmen in scoring like 1 run per over??? its so slow

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why is the batsman constantly leaving the ball or blocking?

Why is the bowler bowling in that same region for over the last 3 overs?

Why does the batsman eventually fall for the trap and play an expansive drive and edge it to first slip?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
ok guys i have to admit this, i can't stand test cricket some times. The boredom of watching a batsmen who keeps defending or leaving the ball just gets to me. I dont understand how people pay money to watch test cricket? I dont mind watching exciting test matches but most of that matches are really boring. How do you guys watch when a batsmen in scoring like 1 run per over??? its so slow
Fair enough. Everyone has different tastes. The key to appreciating the mental battle going on as well as the visible one that you can see; do you think the batsmen enjoy blocking it out, hell no! But they have to to succeed and it is this determination and battle that 'purists' love about Test cricket.

Mard

Banned
^ well they score so fast in oneday matches. The average score in oneday cricket these is around 275. IN test cricket the average one inning score is between 350-400. The difference is not that much

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
100 runs is not much?! Keep in mind that ODIs have fielding restrictions too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^ well they score so fast in oneday matches. The average score in oneday cricket these is around 275. IN test cricket the average one inning score is between 350-400. The difference is not that much
275 is still a very large score in one-day cricket, and one you'll have a real job to make against a good bowling-attack.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough. Everyone has different tastes. The key to appreciating the mental battle going on as well as the visible one that you can see; do you think the batsmen enjoy blocking it out, hell no! But they have to to succeed and it is this determination and battle that 'purists' love about Test cricket.
Yeah, Id say the same. Everyone can like what they want.

In the same way I cant imagine why anyone would spend over 5 pounds on a bottle of wine.

I like wine but dont claim to be an expert or appreciate the subtlties. Doesnt mean I dont know what I like or will let myself get told what I should prefer. However, I understand there are others more knowledgable on the topic.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting that there are definitely times when Test cricket is not particularly entertaining.

My preference, by and large, is for low-scoring games because they are almost always exciting. When bat dominates ball for any length of time the game can indeed lose its interest. Less so when the team you're supporting is the one on top, obviously.

Yes there are of course mini-stories going on all the time but if you're watching Smith and McKenzie bat nearly all day with no real intention of scoring runs but never looking like getting out, facing military medium from the likes of Panesar and Collingwood, as I did at Lord's last Sunday, it can indeed begin to drag.

Having said which, Test cricket is the finest game ever invented.

opener

Banned
You're at the wrong place.

May I direct you to the forums at www.hitandgiggle.com.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Don't worry about it.. Give it ten years and there won't be any left..

archie mac

International Coach
Bowler friendly wicket, a batsman playing and missing, getting hit time and again, all his partners falling at the other end, but still he refuses to back away, keeps getting behind the ball and stays at the crease.

In the above run rate one per over=Test cricket at its best:cool:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Test Cricket is pure class. I have NFI how you can get bored. Even when the opposition is 5/500, I am still sitting there watching, hoping for a wicket. I will never get bored of Test Cricket, or any type of Cricket to be perfectly honest. Not that I like watching Twenty20, but it's Cricket, and I can sit through a game. Now lets not please turn this into a debate about Test Cricket v Twenty20 Cricket please.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
u dnt like it dnt watch it and dnt go on bout it either its nt like anyone reali cares
Would it really be so much harder to add the extra letters in to make up complete words?

And, sorry purists, but there are going to be more and more people like Mard gaining interest in the sport, thanks to Twenty20. Not to say I don't like test cricket, but not everyone will be as interested in the longer version as the self-appointed "morally superior" Test fans...