• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricketers have obtained a new highest score the most times?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
At risk of being accused of killing the thread again, I made my database go through and calculate this, and Vengsarkar is still the highest with 12 (which is no surprise as the cricinfo article about it linked isn't that old). If anyone wants to know a player or a whole list of players without manually checking then feel free to ask me.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
At risk of being accused of killing the thread again, I made my database go through and calculate this, and Vengsarkar is still the highest with 12 (which is no surprise as the cricinfo article about it linked isn't that old). If anyone wants to know a player or a whole list of players without manually checking then feel free to ask me.
This makes me wonder what the hell I was doing with my time in July 2008

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyone know what the longest someone's stayed on their best score was?

I know Clarke took ages to better his debut innings.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Good question. Longest in terms of matches, innings or time? Im guessing innings is the best criteria.

Clarke is a good shout. Im racking my brain trying to think of someone who played on and on with a big score early on. Pretty tricky to work out actually.

Maybe pews babeh can be useful for this one.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Anyone know what the longest someone's stayed on their best score was?
Probably Garry Sobers. Hit his first hundred in his 17th Test (out of 93), and it was the 365*.

That's 76 Tests without bettering his highest score.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Stuart Broad a good chance to crack that one you'd think

Edit - he did it in his 32nd so he's a fair way to go yet. 27 tests to level it (assuming it's the record).

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
BC Lara - 400* scored in his 106th Test, and the 375 in his 16th Test.

He also scored 277 in his 5th Test, so that makes a total of 3 high scores and stuck on the 375 for 89 Tests.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Leonard Hutton 364 in the 6th of his 79 tests.

So far I have Lara (89), Sobers (76) and Hutton (73).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Good shouts, I was thinking more of someone who took ages to beat their first ever innings, so more along the lines of Clarke.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Sanath Jayasuriya career HS 340 in his 26th Test (out of 110)
(HS progression - 35, 66, 77, 81, 112, 113, 340)
High Score achievement unlocked 7 times and surrendered his pocket change to the machine for the last 84 Tests.

Len Hutton career HS 364 in his 6th Test (out of 79)
(HS progression - 100, 100, 364)
High Score achievement unlocked 3 times and a massive disappointment for his last 73 Tests.

BC Lara career HS 400 in his 106th Test (out of 131)
(HS progression - 44, 64, 277, 365, 400)
High Score achievement unlocked 5 times and a run of 89 Tests in between the 375 and 400.

Garry Sobers career HS 365 in his 17th Test (out of 93)
(HS progression - 14, 47, 64, 66, 80, 365)
High Score achievement unlocked 6 times and a loser for his last 76 Tests.

Stuart Broad career HS 169 in his 32nd Test (out of 81, and running)
(HS progression - 2, 16, 42, 64 ,76, 169)
High Score achievement unlocked 6 times and a barren run for his last 49 Tests.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Rahul Dravid career HS 277 in his 78th Test (out of 164)
(HS progression - 95, 148, 190, 200*, 217, 222, 233, 270)
High Score achievement unlocked 8 times and stuck on 270 for his last 86 Tests.

Graeme Smith career HS 277 in his 11th Test (out of 117)
(HS progression - 3, 68, 200, 277)
High Score achievement unlocked 4 times and stuck on 277 for his last 106 Tests.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sanath Jayasuriya career HS 340 in his 26th Test (out of 110)
(HS progression - 35, 66, 77, 81, 112, 113, 340)
High Score achievement unlocked 7 times and surrendered his pocket change to the machine for the last 84 Tests.

Len Hutton career HS 364 in his 6th Test (out of 79)
(HS progression - 100, 100, 364)
High Score achievement unlocked 3 times and a massive disappointment for his last 73 Tests.

BC Lara career HS 400 in his 106th Test (out of 131)
(HS progression - 44, 64, 277, 365, 400)
High Score achievement unlocked 5 times and a run of 89 Tests in between the 375 and 400.

Garry Sobers career HS 365 in his 17th Test (out of 93)
(HS progression - 14, 47, 64, 66, 80, 365)
High Score achievement unlocked 6 times and a loser for his last 76 Tests.

Stuart Broad career HS 169 in his 32nd Test (out of 81, and running)
(HS progression - 2, 16, 42, 64 ,76, 169)
High Score achievement unlocked 6 times and a barren run for his last 49 Tests.
Hutton is twice surely?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Hutton is twice surely?
Yeah, I can see that. The second 100 equalled his first one.

Steve Waugh's 200 came in his 76th Test (out of 168). That gives him 92 Tests without managing to top his HS.

So far I get:

Graeme Smith (106), Steve Waugh (92), Brian Lara (89), Rahul Dravid (86)
Len Hutton achieved his career HS only twice in his career.
Brian Lara with possibly the longest run in between two HS achievements - the 89 Tests in between 375 and 400*.
Stuart Broad is a numpty, but that's unrelated to this discussion,

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
my own personal one from many many years of australian club cricket. A grade for juniors, 7th grade, 2nd grade and then 1st grade for seniors. None of my rep scores were every any good. I was a far better bowler but I enjoyed batting more (what kid doesnt')

12 - first ever innings, remember it well because i hit a six
15* - we had to retire here in u/10s
17* - last innings of the u/10s season. remember because i retired with a boundary and was happy i broke 15!
20* - we had to retire at 40 in u/11s but i never reached that, however on a rain reduced day the retirement score got cut in half lol
25 - got this at 15. many years of being a **** batter, but i remember this because i opened. we used to rotate the order in juniors, except for our captain who always batted 3 because he was good
37 - got this first year of seniors around 17. 7th grade lol. it was basically my whole junior team plus a few of our dads, one of who coached us through the junior years. funnest year i ever had of cricket. hit 3 sixes in this innings and they the first sixes i'd scored since i was like like 10. this season i also took 55 wickets @ 5 and have the trophy to prove it. though it was 7th grade...
50 - got this in 2nd grade, for some reason i became an opener because no-one else wanted to do it. I was 18. Was so happy I finally made 50 i just skied the very next ball going for a six and didn't care
55- got this a few weeks later, also opening. decided i wanted to "knuckle down" and go on with it but didn't do much more
72- made this at 20 in first grade. Was still opening but it was my last decent score as opener. 10 fours and 3 sixes against the best bowling team in the comp in 1st grade! my finest hour on the cricket field, better than my solitary 5 for with the ball. took 18 off one over, 3 fours and a six all over point lol. I was so much better at cutting and driving then pulling. Was **** against the short ball. always instictively blocked it and wasted so many opportunites for legside runs. only ever got them against spinners. you can imagine i loved watching phil hughes bat

If I get back into it (i'm 24 and quit at 21) i reckon i'm a chance lol

Last edited: