• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricketers have obtained a new highest score the most times?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Might be interesting to ask which batsman obtained their best most late in their career. Tendulkar got 200* very late in ODI for example.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricinfo does have a look at this guys highest score: Grahame Chevalier.
I'm not saying that a not out score shouldn't take precedence when nominating someone's highest score, just that purely mathematically and logically speaking it's not "obtaining a new highest score". It's obtaining the same highest score, but just not out.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Nah. not out is a new high score. 2 and 2* are two different numbers. One is 2. The other is 2 plus a positive non zero amount. I'm all for counting *'s as a different score.

edit: I guess it is possible the * turns into a zero. Nevertheless, the asterisk represents a possibility. No asterisk means no further possibility.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Nah. not out is a new high score. 2 and 2* are two different numbers. One is 2. The other is 2 plus a positive non zero amount. I'm all for counting *'s as a different score.

edit: I guess it is possible the * turns into a zero. Nevertheless, the asterisk represents a possibility. No asterisk means no further possibility.
Awta

As an aside, was Charles Coventry officially the record holder for the highest score on odis before Tendulkar scored that double? People just seemed to say that Sachin broke Anwar's record and ignored coventry, which always annoyed me.

TheJediBrah

I have no issue with people wanting to count not outs as a "new high score" for whatever purpose they choose, obviously.

But the pure mathematical fact is that it's simply not a "new highest score", in any meaningful way of looking at it. It's the same score. You really can't argue with that.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That's nice Jedi. I don't really think there will be any chance you change your mind on this one which is fair enough but I am glad you don't have an issue.

Does anyone want to know another countries current individual player records? In any format?

Victor Ian

International Coach
I have no issue with people wanting to count not outs as a "new high score" for whatever purpose they choose, obviously.

But the pure mathematical fact is that it's simply not a "new highest score", in any meaningful way of looking at it. It's the same score. You really can't argue with that.
I can so argue with that, but MrMister has put me in my place so I'll keep it short. So, you're wrong

TheJediBrah

If I had a kid come home and tell me that someone got a new highest score that was the same as their old highest score but not out, I'd be having a word with their math teacher

TheJediBrah

It would sound perfectly sensible to me to say that this person "improved" upon their highest score by being not out. But saying that it's a "new highest score" ain't gonna fly.

Victor Ian

International Coach
If my kid had a maths teacher that only taught integers, and could not distinguish between apples and oranges, I would withdraw him from the class

Victor Ian

International Coach
This might help to understand quality. If a bowler bowls 6/58 and then bowls 7/1203 the 7 is his best performance. Then when he bowls a 7/98 it is his new best performance. There is a similar thing going on with the batting score. There is more to it than just the number.

TheJediBrah

This might help to understand quality. If a bowler bowls 6/58 and then bowls 7/1203 the 7 is his best performance. Then when he bowls a 7/98 it is his new best performance. There is a similar thing going on with the batting score. There is more to it than just the number.
No there isn't. 98 is a lower number than 1203. It's literally just the number.

TheJediBrah

It's all in the wording tbh. If you said "new best score" that'd make sense. "New highest score" just doesn't work. Because "highest" literally just means it's the highest number.