• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you have picked instead of Darren Pattinson ?

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
There are a few to choose from IMO...

- Matthew Hoggard, swing bowler, what england were looking for as a replacement for Sidebottom
- Steve Harmison, fast, bouncy (200+ test wickets like hoggard)
- Simon Jones, express pace, reverse swing, legend
- Chris Tremlett, quick, gets bounce, been waiting in the wings for a while
- Sajid Mahmood, genuinely quick, can reverse swing it

Or for a laugh.. - Andy Caddick, 4 wickets in an over?! what a legend

BoyBrumby

Englishman
For the purposes of continuity Tremmers should have got the gig for me. If a bloke's in the squad as cover & a bowler breaks down he might reasonably expect to be next in line. Doesn't strike me as the kind of bloke to get bitter, but I'm pissed off on his behalf. Shabby way to treat someone & rank bad man-management.

If I were selecting the team from scratch tho I'd say Jones; potentially the best of the lot & has proved his fitness rather more conclusively than Fred has.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Hoggard > Tremlett > Jones > Harmison > Boycott's mum > Mahmood.

In other words, Hoggard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You'd think it'd have to be Darren Gough.

Seriously - probably Hoggard. But Tremlett too would be more than fair enough.

Whoever you picked, though, I doubt they'd have done all that much on this pitch. None of the England bowlers have.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Collingwood and Hoggard for Monty and Pattinson.

cook, strauss, vaughan, pietersen, bell, collingwood, ambrose, flintoff, broad, anderson hoggard FTW or more likely FTD.

Vaughan should bowl, his offies are decent and isn't doing anything with the bat.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
32 wickets @ 15.5 this season. Should there really have been any questions, regardless of his previous injury history. Prefect chance to get Jones back in squad and set up, for basically a one off match, until Sidebottom came back.

Mind you I thought Collingwood should have been kept and they played 7 bats and 4 bowlers.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
From what I've read of late his knees prohibit the possibility currently, hence KP doing the second-string twirling.
Oh OK. Fair enough. Thinking his knees are prohibiting his batting currently as well. :ph34r:

Actually tipping him for a 100 in the second dig.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh OK. Fair enough. Thinking his knees are prohibiting his batting currently as well. :ph34r:

Actually tipping him for a 100 in the second dig.
:p Ha, know you're joking but wouldn't be suprised if that actually was the case. His foot movement of late has been pretty ordinary for a bloke of his class.

Or it could just be that he's Steyn's bunny, of course.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I would've picked Onions or Shreck before Pattinson itbt.
TBH, I don't know whether I would.

Purely and simply, I'd have had none anywhere near the side. It's like saying I'd pick our first XI captain before myself for England.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
TBH, I don't know whether I would.

Purely and simply, I'd have had none anywhere near the side. It's like saying I'd pick our first XI captain before myself for England.
Not entirely sure about Onions myself TBF but for me Shreck would be better than Pattinson.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree, Shreck's looked alright from what I've seen of him playing for Wellington.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When Dominic Cork was asked this question on Sky Sports News yesterday he named every English bowler he could think of then added Glen Chapple as an afterthought.
When Steve Harmison was asked about Pattinson he said he'd never seen him bowl as he fell asleep during the recent County Championship match between their sides.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree, Shreck's looked alright from what I've seen of him playing for Wellington.
Shreck's been poor this season - in the same team as Pattinson.

I'm never in favour of picking someone based on a purple-patch of half a season, hell no, but I'm pretty much equally never in favour of picking someone who's bowled poorly in the season in question or previous season.

It really is a rock and hard place scenario.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
When Dominic Cork was asked this question on Sky Sports News yesterday he named every English bowler he could think of then added Glen Chapple as an afterthought.
Including himself?

Shame he's not doing very well this year - if he was, he'd have had a better case than Pattinson, by far.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
It's interesting. Can't say there's actually anyone I'd want.
Jones is a cripple, and you definitely want him proving that he can go a full season without getting injured before throwing him back in.
Harmison, Plunkett and Mahmood are all proven failures.
There's obviously something up with Hoggard, because he had a poor final year in Test cricket and is having no interest shown in him by the selectors.
Murtagh has wickets this season and Onions is averaging under 20, but from what I've seen of them for their counties, I don't like either.
Chapple's actually bowling very well but he's just too old.
Tremlett was supposed to be next in line all summer, but is the only bowler mentioned in this post averaging over 30 in the Championship this year.

Would probably go with Tremlett, tbh.