• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you have picked instead of Darren Pattinson ?

tooextracool

International Coach
Apart from spin, bowlers can be a combination of all of that. Richard Hadlee and Andrew Caddick being two of the best examples, of variable quality.

You can be quick, get bounce, swing the ball, and if you can swing it it goes without saying that you'll be able to move it off the seam too. The best bowlers mostly do.
I would actually separate split swing into conventional and reverse swing.

tooextracool

International Coach
And who has the better inswinging Yorker out of the two?

(It's actually an interesting question)
If the question is who has the best yorker I might be tempted to go with Flintoff, but who has the best inswinging yorker would surely have to be Anderson. Whether its coincidence or not, Flintoff has never consistently managed to reverse swing the ball since the Ashes in 2005.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If the question is who has the best yorker I might be tempted to go with Flintoff, but who has the best inswinging yorker would surely have to be Anderson. Whether its coincidence or not, Flintoff has never consistently managed to reverse swing the ball since the Ashes in 2005.

There's plenty of things Flintoff hasn't managed to do consistantly since 2005, not least of which is play cricket.:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neither of them bowl as many yorkers as they should.

If you're looking for what Mark Nicholas would call a "crackerjack" delivery, which in this situation I suppose you are, Anderson is the likelier, particularly with a newer ball.

Funnily enough Harmison has bowled 2 of the best yorkers of recent times: the slower ball to dismiss Clarke at OT in 2005, and the brutal 94mph inswinging yorker to dismiss Ponting for a golden duck in the first (?) one-dayer in 2005.
The slower-ball that Clarke fell to at Edgbaston wasn't actually a Yorker - and I won't start on why it wasn't really a particularly good ball (will just say Harmison slower-balls are painfully obvious and that one was no exception - Clarke clearly picked it, he didn't play early) as I'm sure most people are sick of it. :)

I'm not sure the Ponting lbw in the first ODI of 2005 was quite a Yorker either, IIRR it was just short of.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The slower-ball that Clarke fell to at Edgbaston wasn't actually a Yorker - and I won't start on why it wasn't really a particularly good ball (will just say Harmison slower-balls are painfully obvious and that one was no exception - Clarke clearly picked it, he didn't play early) as I'm sure most people are sick of it. :)
So....

You say "I won't start..." then you say it anyway. Say it or don't. :)

Sure the slower-ball wasn't perfectly disguised but it was good enough. Why? Because of the knuckle-shattering 145km/h short couple of deliveries before them. They totally had Clarke on the defensive on the back-foot and even if he did see the sucker-punch, he couldn't do anything about it. Harmison had been ordinary until then but that last over would have been damn nasty to face.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
So....

Sure the slower-ball wasn't perfectly disguised but it was good enough. Why? Because of the knuckle-shattering 145km/h short couple of deliveries before them. They totally had Clarke on the defensive on the back-foot and even if he did see the sucker-punch, he couldn't do anything about it. Harmison had been ordinary until then but that last over would have been damn nasty to face.

You're a brave man leaving yourself open to Richard's "theory" that every ball is a separate entity and what happened with previous deliveries can have no influence on the next.:laugh:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

I'm not sure the Ponting lbw in the first ODI of 2005 was quite a Yorker either, IIRR it was just short of.
The Clarke one was a yorker or as near as makes no difference. As for whether you think it was a particularly good ball or not, well I won't start on why you're wrong (will just say that you are).

The Ponting one was indeed a yorker. I can't currently find it on youtube and I can't be arsed going through my 2005 DVDs to find it. If you want to try to persuade anyone that saw it that that wasn't a great delivery, the very best of luck to you. You might want to start with Ricky Ponting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So....

So the sucker-punch was a ball that he missed? In other words. The slowerness was irrelevant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Clarke fell to it because of the deliveries which preceded it (which is possible, though I don't think terribly likely - I think he just missed a straight ball, most good batsmen don't get overtly bothered by a couple of shortish deliveries) then yes.

As I said - Clarke very clearly picked the slower-ball. Hence the slowness had nothing to do with his dismissal. You can possibly argue that his dismissal was a result of good bowling, but not that the slower-ball was a good one.

What's interesting is that Clarke, in the "Super Test", also fell to a ball of near-identical length from Harmison in the exact same way - just missed it. This time it was a ball of "normal" pace. Possibly Clarke just finds (or found, possibly) deliveries of that length from Harmison difficult.

tooextracool

International Coach
The Ponting one was indeed a yorker. I can't currently find it on youtube and I can't be arsed going through my 2005 DVDs to find it. If you want to try to persuade anyone that saw it that that wasn't a great delivery, the very best of luck to you. You might want to start with Ricky Ponting.
Actually, I agree with Richard on this one. The ball that got Ponting bounced just before it hit the bat. Swung a bit in the air too IIRC. Wasnt a bad ball, but if we're talking about a good yorker then the ball that got Hussey later in the game was indeed a good yorker.