• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Allrounder All Time?

Kimbo

International Debutant
oh yea... woops, i must of got carried away with thinking about the guys that give it a good whack... well akram anyway

Andre

International Regular
1. Sir Garfield Sobers
2. Sir Richard Hadlee
3. Keith Miller
4. Ray Lindwall
5. Ian Botham

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Sobers all the way, I can't believe some idiot put Benaud ahead of him.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Slater's bowling was 4 before the Laxman Test. It's 10 now. Plus that hardly counts does it ?!

1 Botham - batting, bowling and a great fielder
2 Gary Sobers
3 Richard Hadlee

[Edited on 4/16/02 by Neil Pickup]

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think there has been a better all-rounder than Sobers, Hadlee, Laker & Botham are all hall of famers, but they still didn't have the class of Sobers.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think there has been a better all-rounder than Sobers, Hadlee, Laker & Botham are all hall of famers, but they still didn't have the class of Sobers.
Laker?!?!?!?!?

He has a Test batting average of 14.8! Hardly an allrounder.............

I assume it is a typo or just a mistake, though. :D

Sudeep

International Captain
--Gary Sobers
--Ian Botham
--Jacques Kallis (can't believe no one mentioned him
--Kapil Dev
--Steve Waugh (ah, I miss his "bowling" days)

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
You're right Neil. Botham was a great slip catcher. If he was playing now he'd be the best slip fielder in the world (after Jonty Rhodes, of course!)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
shame nobody else misses Waughs bowling days

Keith Miller and Kallis are both great TRUE alrounders, alot of others were weaker in either bowling or batting

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You're right Neil. Botham was a great slip catcher. If he was playing now he'd be the best slip fielder in the world (after Jonty Rhodes, of course!)
Rhodes isn't a slip fielder. Best one of those at the moment is probably Mark Waugh.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I have told you before about making me agree with Marc :P

Jonty's a backward point man.

Mark Waugh probably is still the best current slip catcher... if his test career is still alive...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
From PriceWaterhouseCoopers Website:

All-Rounders Points are calculated by (Batting*Bowling)÷1000

So someone ranked at 900 (Tendulkar is currently 888) in both batting and bowling would rank as 810 as an all rounder.

800 and 800 -> 640
700 and 700 -> 490

These are the only seven people who have topped 500:

1 Ian Botham (ENG) 660
2 Garry Sobers (WI) 628
3 Keith Miller (AUS) 545
4 Imran Khan (PAK) 524
5 Richie Benaud (AUS) 521
6 Chris Cairns (NZ) 501
= Jacques Kallis (SA) 501

So I was right... ;)