• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The new additions !

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hey Fraz, both are the same link.

That spell by Anwar Ali in the U19 World Cup a year or 2 ago was amazing. Its not often a guy can swing a ball that far. His action is made for big inswing.

Id like to watch him now (a couple of years later) with the red ball. His numbers in Mens cricket are not that special and I like to be able to watch him for myself in FC cricket.

Given the amount he swings it, he will always cause problems. However, Id be a little concerned that his action is so designed for inswing that variation may be a problem and the action doesnt lend itself to accuracy.

Again, the U19 final against India was against flatfooted batsman but they had scored runs all tournament and it was one hell of a spell.

FRAZ

International Captain
Hey Fraz, both are the same link.

That spell by Anwar Ali in the U19 World Cup a year or 2 ago was amazing. Its not often a guy can swing a ball that far. His action is made for big inswing.

Id like to watch him now (a couple of years later) with the red ball. His numbers in Mens cricket are not that special and I like to be able to watch him for myself in FC cricket.

Given the amount he swings it, he will always cause problems. However, Id be a little concerned that his action is so designed for inswing that variation may be a problem and the action doesnt lend itself to accuracy.

Again, the U19 final against India was against flatfooted batsman but they had scored runs all tournament and it was one hell of a spell.
Sorry here is the other link
Najaf Shah = http://youtube.com/watch?v=eUq5RvCOaiI
My friends also thought that Anwar Ali has variety in his swing but as you said ,his action is designed for a good inswing .
And do you think that the slinging action is good for the outswing (Malinga , Tait Waqar etc) or no ?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Najaf Shah

I actually quite liked his action. He got great lines with his front arm and his front foot. If he could keep his head fractionally more stable then his action is made for accuracy.

However, I dont think he will be that quick. He collapses a little too much to be very fast. Certain players can do this and still be very quick but it isnt easy. Its not a major issue at all and his isnt as bad as some (as he has a long delivery stride), I just thought Id mention it.

From the clip I dont know how much he moves the ball. If he doesnt do much then I cant see him being a success at Test level. With an accurate medium quick such as this movement is important.

He has a very good Frist Class career record, Id like to see more of him. Its hard to say from just the evidence of the clip, but he looks well organised rather than exceptional.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Keeps that back foot on the floor, which is good. A neglected but very important facet if you wish to bowl over 130kph consistently. More of a safe than dynamic action, I can see bounce and subtle late (rather than hoop) swing being his weapons.

Bouncer

State Regular
anwar to me never seemed like an international cricket material. I first saw him in U19 Semi against AUS and while discussing the game with my Brother after words told him that this guy is going to get murdered against Indian batsmen in final as to me all anwar had was a big in swing and (from few overs that i saw him bowl in semi vs AUS) did not seem to have any other variation...at that moment i thought Indians will eat him alive in final but it turned out completely otherwise and he bamboozled them in final.

I have only seen few balls of him in Pak T20 afterwords and i hope he did find something other than in swing to bowl. But i personally highly doubt that he would be a test/Intl bowler.

Pak's bowling future (their best chance to produce good test cricket) lies in on how PCB goes about appointing a fast bowler coach. In last two years DNA has pretty much done everything that shows that giving a fast bowler a coaching job is not in his lists...he fired Aqib Javed from National Academy, asked waqar younis that since fast bowler are not required as bowling coaches for ODI's so waqar can resign.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ve7gYK-nrQ

How different can this situation be had waqar not fired in Dec 06? Gul would have had a consistent guidance of him for two years now. He was most improved while waqar was with the teams..and more time with waqar would have done him well.

Sooner PCB (hopefully lead by someone else than DNA) realizes that they need to boost the performance of Pakistani Bowlers by having a fast bowling coach and not on a series to series bases but on permanent bases, better is going to be Pak's chance of coming up with a team that plays goo test cricket.....adding in Players like Najaf, anwar...and others ( frankly i dont even remember the names of bowlers they have tried) will not get him consistent results

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Its obvious big swing from Anwar. But he swings it from the hand where as i think he'd be much more effective if he got it to swing late instead. Someone like Pietersen could just step outside the line of offstump and cream him through the leg side all day as it stands i think. So like the other poster said, lets see him do something other than inswing and also see if he can get it to go late.

Last edited: