• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The indignant David Lloyd - revisited

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I posted this before a few years but that file has gone, it's worth another look especially for anyone who hasn't seen it before. Last time I posted it was after David Lloyd got on his high horse when England ran out Inzy in circumstances they shouldn't have. Bumble was at it again this morning during the Strauss non catch incident.

This clip shows that the great man always practised what he now preaches.

Howzat

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So what is the point ? He made a mistake 100 years ago, doesn't mean he lost all the right to comment on such issues in the future.

stumpski

International Captain
Willis to...?
Ian Chappell, caught for 5 (2nd innings) Melbourne. Australia went on to win by 171 runs and regain the Ashes. Interestingly Wisden doesn't say the catch was disputed at all. 'Lloyd at leg-slip brought off one of the best catches of a series remarkable for its number of great catches when he dived right to pick up Ian Chappell, taking the ball so low that he trapped his finger and had to go off for repairs.'

Would have liked to see that clip run for a few more seconds though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Would have liked to see that clip run for a few more seconds though.
There's nothing more to see, there's another couple of seconds of Ian Chappell walking to the pavillion then it cuts back to the action. Bear in mind that this is taken from edited highlights and not the sort of continuous action that we get today.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Lloyd, Broad, Gatting. all had their shares. Broad should never have been a referee

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Much more often than you think, actually. I can name a few examples of sportsmen with serious issues who turned themselves around to become very excellent role models and leaders.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Haha. That reads so melodramatically. Can just picture you sat at the computer shouting "YOU PROVE NOTHING! NOTHING! **** ALL! BUGGER OFF YOU TOSSER! YOU'VE GOT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTHIIIIIIIIIING!!!!!!"

Bouncer

State Regular
there is not a single cricketer who has ever walked on this planet that has done 100% fair play his whole career....period.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It would have to be bloody tough when you take one like that, 10 of your closest mates all yell and scream and claim it, and you have to tell them "I'm not sure". Never had to do it myself. (Usually just drop 'em in the first place. :ph34r: )

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a pretty shocking clip!

He didn't appeal but that doesn't excuse him. He allowed his team-mates to do so while he looked at his damaged hand. The umpires consulted and gave the batsman out. All the while Lloyd kept quiet and failed to make clear either that he wasn't sure or that he knew full well he'd dropped it - which he surely must have done.

I'd like Sky to replay that and see what Lloyd has to say for himself...

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought I'd see what he said about it in his autobiography - not a word!

Ian Chappell in his? - not a word there either

Surely Ashley Mallett in his recent biography of Chappell had a postmortem? - nope

The contemporary tour accounts then? - I have two - Frank Tyson's, which again is silent and CMJ's which says simply that Chappell fell to a "very good catch by Lloyd at leg slip off Willis"

All of which goes to prove that only either someone has cleverly doctored the video (come on you conspiracy theorists) or alternatively that if you win who cares

Last edited: