Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: India A team to England

India A team to England

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2003/may/24das.htm

Shiv Sundar Das (captain), Hemang Badani (vice-captain), Wasim Jaffar, Gautam Gambhir, Sanjay Parab, S Sriram, A T Rayudu, Rohan Gavaskar, Vijay Bhardwaj, L Balaji, Avishkar Salvi, Irfan Pathan, Amit Bhandari, Murali Kartik, Parthiv Patel and Amit Mishra.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Surprised to see Patel there, thought he was now the number 1?

Having already done a tour last season, I don't really see what benefit he'll gain from this one to be honest.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    It's the close season now in India, and the national side don't play again until NZ tour in October (?).

Hence some fringe players or young talents are getting the experience, which can only be beneficial.

Should be a good chance for Balaji, Salvi and Pathan to bowl in seam-friendly condition, and also for Rayudu to try and repeat last year's heroics with the U19s.

No Laxman this time, I note.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Pinball Champion!
    Sorry to go slightly off topic but what happened to Hrishikesh Kanitkar??? Just noticed he had a really good average on ICC, wondered if he has ever been in contention.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    Good to see that the people who made the squad , are all youngsters who have been doing good at the level and might have a chance of getting a spot in the Indian team..

Not giving chances to constant failures like Laxman , who needs some time off to relax..
    Don L-o-d , Legion Of Doom

Lords Lounge, Off Topic, The Happening Place in CW and OT.

Co Chairman CWBCC - Cricketweb XI - CW Green | Manager of Hampshire CC - Wccc | Chairman of the Muralitharan Supporters Club ~MSC~ |

Current Stats:
    2* - 17-4-35-3 - Season Ends..

Current Record
    Batting - RHB: M:48 Inns:43 Runs:457 H/S:33* Ave:15.5 N.O:10
    Bowling - Off Spin: O:280 M:40 Runs:975 Wickets:104 Ave:9.3 S.R:15.6

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Yes, Hrishikesh Kanitkar is primarily a batsman hailing from Maharashtra. A FC average of 60'ish in Indian Domestic Cricket im afraid doesnt guarantee you of a successful International Career.

His technique wasn't as solid as other players, and after many, many opportunities as an "Batting All Rounder" in ODI Cricket, he failed time and time again, therefore being discarded. A batting average of like 18 in ODI's from like 40 matches when you have a average of 60 in FC cricket isnt satisfactory at all!

I think its a strong team, and with the likes of Wasim Jaffer, SS Das and Parthiv Patel touring England last season, I think they all can improve their technique and those players can help the younger inexperienced players out.

It will be a good learning curve for these guys, especially if its bitterly cold, and the pitch is extremely green with a lot of movement.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

State Vice-Captain aussie_beater's Avatar
    Originally posted by lord_of_darkness

Not giving chances to constant failures like Laxman , who needs some time off to relax..
    Laxman should be picked for the test series against NZ.I don't see why he should not be picked for the test team.It was the A team which he led to WI and failed badly...but I don't think he can be judged based on just that.The world cup was going on and Dinesh Mongia was in the team for no apparent reason while Laxman was cooling his heels off in the Carrib Beer series.....that was a serious mistake in my opinion.
    Last edited by aussie_beater; 24-05-2003 at 06:40 PM.
    Flames are welcome, but beware of the *Backdraft *

Cricket Web Vice Administrator
    Who will the India A team actually be playing when they turn up?

Cricket Web XI Moderator lord_of_darkness's Avatar
    Neils cricket team...

Laxman was not dropped. He himself ruled out due to injury. Otherwise he would have been the captain. Good to see Sriram given the chance too. Also good to see Yohannan not being picked. I expect either Sriram or Badani to be the highest scorer and Balaji or Salvi to be the highest wickettaker

Originally posted by lord_of_darkness
    Neils cricket team...
    :P

They've got several fixtures against English county sides... all friendlies, it seems, and nothing against an England 'A' side - why can't we do that?!

There is some controversy here about the selection of Parab and Bharadwaj and also Patel as the only wicket taker. Bharadwaj had a poor season and Parab a mediocre one but they were selected as there were no players from that region. Ramesh should have been picked but was not b'coz as the team already had 4 players from the state which Ramesh comes from. I don't know why they picked Bhandari. He was tried and it was visible that he was not an international player.Dasgupta should have been picked as there are reports that he has improved his keeping. If he improved his keeping then India can play 5 bowlers as he is a very good batsman. Ganguly was saying that he intends to play 5 bowlers in Aus so that it makes impossible for Aus to score 500 runs. He was saying that he needs a keeperwho can open the innings in Aus. So Patel may open the innings in England.

Neil, I remember India playing against WI A last year in England. So do A teams every year come to England. Why don't England play an A team to instead of the county teams?

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Originally posted by vishnureddy

<snip>

Neil, I remember India playing against WI A last year in England. So do A teams every year come to England. Why don't England play an A team to instead of the county teams?
    A very good point - and I would imagine that the answer is simple - time and money.

Counties still like to think that they are the life-blood of the game in England, and they get pretty miffed losing players.

That's where the ECB maybe missed a trick - when they okayed 2 overseas players, it should have been under the stipulation that they (counties) would have to compulsorily release players for 'A' team games.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Originally posted by vishnureddy
    Ganguly was saying that he intends to play 5 bowlers in Aus so that it makes impossible for Aus to score 500 runs. He was saying that he needs a keeperwho can open the innings in Aus. So Patel may open the innings in England.
    Nothing's impossible when Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Glichrist, Waugh, Clarke, Martyn, Lehmann, Love etc are in the mood!

I'm not entirely sure how regularly 'A' sides visit England.

I'm not sure why England don't get an 'A' team together to play the tourists as it would be beneficial to the full England team, the 'A' players, and to the tourists - Eddie's probably right when he mentions the antiquated attitude of the counties.

India 'A' are playing a South Africa XI at Shenley midway through their tour, so that ought to be a good game.
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 27-05-2003 at 11:56 AM.

Rik
    Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    [i]India 'A' are playing a South Africa XI at Shenley midway through their tour, so that ought to be a good game.
    It's really odd, when the England A Team was still going a few years ago it only played overseas in the winter, yet the 2 touring countries would face each other in a tour match as well as a few games against the touring A sides. We would see the touring sides playing the touring A sides, yet England A took no part...look at the Aussie's Ashes Itenery and it even involved a match against Ireland!
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information