• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket in America

What do international cricketers think of cricket's chances to thrive in the U.S.?

• Excellent. It's a big country with lots of potential.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Possible, if it can find the right niche.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Unlikely. Too many more well established sports.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Are you nuts? American's are too stupid to understand cricket!

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
To all who may vote:

Choice D was the reason I got involved in cricket... a drunk in a London pub uttered those exact words to me... a bit less coherently, but that's what he said!

Steve Weisse
President - Tri-City Cricket Club
Schenectady, NY

Last edited:

TriCitySteve

TriCity Moderator
Eyes,

Didn't the poll give you the chance to vote??? Click on your choices at the top of the page...
By the way, I LOVE that quote about the umpire in your signature... I'll keep it in mind the next time I ump... I'd love to use it!

Steve

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
It's from one of my mentors, the youngest member of the ICC's Elite Panel Of Umpires....Simon Taufel.

He said that to us the first night I was in training and it's stuck in my mind ever since...It is also my email signature!

I'm sure he'd get a kick out of you using it!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
apparently you guys have a plan as to attack teh 2007 WC and get ODI status as well, nice plan, not sure about the implementation, alot of money would be needed to market cricket in the states, something i think will work, BUT will take more than 5 years to implement, unless you got some HUGE companies to pour in billions of dollars, something which i hope will happen.

perhaps some descant baseballers will convert like Rugby league players to union players here in australia

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd like to wish everyone the best of luck in trying to get our wonderful game established in the States.

Perhaps the chance to stage a couple of WC games will give the game a wider profile, but it's going to be a long haul.

Football (Sarka) got there in a fashion - New York Cosmos playing in front of enormous crowds - but they had Pele and Beckenbauer and the 'universal' appeal of the game (I suppose much of that support was firstly ex-pats from football-playing nations, then curiosity and media interest kicks in).

The establishment of the national leagues helped, and eventually football was recognised for what it is - an opportunity to make money, hence the World Cup.

Sheesh, if 'cow-pat throwing' gets coverage, then cricket deserves some. Don't know about ex-baseball players, though. All that chewing-tobacco will mess up the umpire's coat.

V Reddy

International Debutant
There are lots and lots of Indians there in the US. I believe the the ICC should first try to get the people from the Cricket Playing Nations to play the game and then automatically the natives also start to play it as the gets some media coverage there. Some games should be played there in the US though during the World Cup.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yes, or at least some of the lead up games, maybe also a Asia vs rest of world XI game in the lead up as well, showcasing some of the best players in the world.

maybe get some baseball players in on a game and get it more media coverage etc