• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alan Davidson or Wasim Akram

Who is Better ?

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Alan Davidson

Test Matches

Alan played 44 test matches, scoring 1328 runs at an average of 24.59, and snared 42 catches. He took 186 wickets at an average of 20.53, with best bowling figures of 7-93.

First Class Games

In a total of 193 first class games, Alan scored 6804 runs at an average 32.86 with a highest score of 129. He took 672 wickets at an average of 20.90, with best bowling figures of 7-31.

Wasim Akram

Stats later.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably pick Wasim Akram myself, on the basis that he played for longer and was the more multi-skilled bowler.

Had Davidson had a longer career (he became an established Test player at 29 and retired at 33) I reckon he could easily have been better than Wasim, but as it is I probably have to go for Wasim.

Apart from being left-arm seamers, though, the two have virtually nothing in common.

Davidson the more accomplished batsman BTW, but obviously their primary role was bowling so thus I rate them exclusive on that.

Beleg

International Regular
What do you people think of Wasim's mental toughness facing top quality oppositions?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure how we're meant to compare two players who played in very different eras, one of whom most of us wouldn't have ever seen play (myself included).

I've voted for Wasim on the basis that I saw him play many times and he was one of the best I've ever seen.

Was Davo his equal or even better? I've no idea and I bet few others will have any cogent means of differentiating between them (although I'd be pleased to be proved wrong once again!).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasim for a number of reasons, not least of which is his longevity.

Davo was a great, great bowler though (from his record and what people I respect have said about him).

gwo

U19 Debutant
Don't see this contest being anything but Wasim love.

Davidson and Akram different era...and we've all seen Akram demolish batting lineups, so it's a lot easier to throw a vote over to him.

/agree with richard on this one.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voted Wasim, but seeing how the poll is going now I regret my decision.

No way should it be 11-0.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Wasim Akram is my favorite cricketer of all time. As I've said before, I grew up idolizing the man. But I've voted Davidson here. As Edmunds said, no way does he deserve to be that far behind Wasim.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Both were excellent left-armers.

My elderly next-door neighbour speaks very highly of Alan Davidson, but I never actually saw him in action.

I can't say anything about Wasim Akram that hasn't already been said.

Davidson does have a marginally better record, but endured less wear-and-tear, did not play as much and probably bowled on more bowler-friendly pitches. Like Wasim, he could also bowl well in alien conditions (India).

In his favour though, Davidson did not have the support cast that Wasim had during his time as an established Test bowler. He didn't have an equivalent to Waqar Younis (he had a young Graham McKenzie towards the end, though), for instance. He did have Richie Benaud to support him, although Wasim had both Mushtaq Ahmed and Saqlain Mushtaq in their prime.

For the sake of parity, I'll vote for Davidson.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Voted Wasim, but seeing how the poll is going now I regret my decision.

No way should it be 11-0.
Wasim Akram is my favorite cricketer of all time. As I've said before, I grew up idolizing the man. But I've voted Davidson here. As Edmunds said, no way does he deserve to be that far behind Wasim.

I don't understand why people vote for the inferior player just because he's a long way behind in the poll. If a hundred people voted they should all vote for Akram, that doesn't make Davidson any less of a bowler.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Record wise, it is very close. However, in comparisons where it's this close and I've actually seen one of the bowlers, I'll almost always go for that bowler. Wasim it is.

Craig

World Traveller
I don't understand why people vote for the inferior player just because he's a long way behind in the poll. If a hundred people voted they should all vote for Akram, that doesn't make Davidson any less of a bowler.
Meh, I have Wasim in my all-time Test XI. Decided to vote for Davidson for the hell of it. But really it is is stupid, like comparing apples to oranges for mine due to the era they played in.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Davidson isn't conclusively inferior to Wasim, though.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
That's a matter of opinion, but some people who think he's inferior are voting for him which doesn't really make much sense.
No, I suppose not. For me, though, it was tough to decide. Each had their respective strengths and weaknesses and each played in different eras.