• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

EPL Twenty20

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
It will involve all county teams as well as a couple of overseas teams..
To start in 2010...

..Opinions..?

The Natwest Pro4o will be scrapped in 2009..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As I said in the English season thread, I dont think it is the perfect solution but it is a very practical solution.

The use of traditional Counties is very important rather than franchises. Whether there are too many teams is debatable but I have no doubt it will be a success, given that T20 has been a success already. However, apart from an expanded program and 2 extra teams I dont see too much different to the current system. May be that is a blessing?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
There should be a play-off between the winner of the Football EPL and the winner of the cricket.

They can merge soccer and cricket into one sport.

Personally reckon it'd be fun seeing Ronaldo facing bouncers from Freddie.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
The Natwest Pro4o will be scrapped in 2009..
Best news ever. Well, not ever. More like since yesterday. But good news nontheless.

The "two overseas teams" is confusing me. Is this a team based overseas, such as Ireland or the Netherlands, or is is something like a franchise made up entirely of overseas players. Assume it's the first, but I've been spending too long in CW XI.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
There should be a battle between the winner of the Football EPL and the winner of the cricket.

They can destroy soccer once and for all.

Personally reckon it'd be fun seeing Ronaldo get his head chopped off by Freddie.
Corrected.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Best news ever. Well, not ever. More like since yesterday. But good news nontheless.

The "two overseas teams" is confusing me. Is this a team based overseas, such as Ireland or the Netherlands, or is is something like a franchise made up entirely of overseas players. Assume it's the first, but I've been spending too long in CW XI.
Speculated to be a Stanford XI and may be an IPL team. Nothing announced as of yet.

Those 2 would make sense financially to help support such a big (ie 20 team) event.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So its this EPL 20/20 thing on weekends, county championship during the week & the domestic 50 over competition. Good structure especially given that the EPL wont clash with the IPL.

We may need blokes like Mick Jagger etc to sponsor some of the counties if we want to rival the financial pedigree of the IPL though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Two T20 competitions seems a little silly, to be fair, but there you go and I think we may well have had two separate 50-over cups in the past when that was all the rage

I still think my proposed format would have been better :ph34r:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally reckon it'd be fun seeing Ronaldo facing bouncers from Freddie.
I expect he would get a bouncer sailing over his head and then collapse to the ground in a heap claiming painful impact.

That said, it's more likely to be Gerrard facing up to Murtagh anyway. :unsure:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Two T20 competitions seems a little silly, to be fair, but there you go and I think we may well have had two separate 50-over cups in the past when that was all the rage
Silly indeed. Saturation.

WRT two 50 over comps, I'm pretty sure we haven't. We've done 40 overs, 60 overs, 55 overs, 50 overs, 45 overs and god knows what else, but don't think we''ve ever had two 50 over ones running simultaneously.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, perhaps I should have said two limited overs. And I mean cups, rather than a league and a cup, which obviously we also used to have. Can't remember for sure though,

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm, Id didnt really pay much attention to that. 2 comps is stupid.

Dilutes the comp and people get weary of all the different events.

1 big T20 event is the only way to go.

stumpski

International Captain
Given that we already have a domestic Twenty20 competition, I don't see why they couldn't have done something with that. Relaxed the rules on overseas players and added the other teams as well if they'd wanted. At least it hasn't led to a reduction in the Championship programme - yet.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBF, 2 X T20 is probably better than 1 X T20 and 1 X Pro40, which was the most pointless thing ever

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Agreed the Pro40 is & always has been a bag of jizz, but two 2020 comps seems pretty hard to justify. Haven't attendances been down a bit this year with the extended program in the group stage?

Another nail in the coffin of the non-twenty over short form over here too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I reckon the only reason they are doing two is because non-English teams will be involved with the EPL and therefore it can't be used as a CL qualifier.

stumpski

International Captain
The 40-over game's fate was sealed when it was cut in half in 2005. Never understood how each team could play the others only once each and call it a 'league.' Pity though, as I always quite enjoyed the 40 over games (didn't have the dead zone often present in 50 overs) and fondly remember when the Beeb used to show a whole game.