• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australian Domestic Season Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Hauritz had the best bowling figures for NSW. Was he their best bowler? I didn't get to see the game.

How much longer can Victoria justify selecting Cameron White? He doesn't bowl enough overs and when he does bowl he is very ordinary and his batting is just not good enough.
Haurtiz was out best bowlers, but says more about how crap the other bowlers were.

I can't see Victoria dropping White, even though his an average batsmen he still is one of their better batsmen.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Alysum said:
There's going to be a lot of competition for the spinners this year for NSW!
Kretja (spelling?) scored a ton in grade, perhaps he should be recalled...
I think Jason has to do something with the bowl, as Casson is a handy bat and will get the 2nd spinner spot on the back of his bowling. And i doubt they will pick a spinner on his batting when his likely to bat at 9. He really needs six months playing grade cricket to build his fitness, after last year.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
The return of Clark of Bracken for NSW during the Ashes will be a boost for them.
BTW why did Aaron Bird play for Bankstown and not NSW? Recovering from an injury?

sideshowtim

Banned
Rogers 184* and North 104*. Rogers had a stellar year in county cricket, averaged something like 65+ and even hit a triple ton, he is only 29...remember Hussey debuted at 30 so if we ever get in a tight spot I'd think that Rogers name would have to be in the mix. North has been around for a little while now, he's very consistent and he's only 27 so there's always a chance he could get a call up if worst came to worst.

Magical stuff from Borgas today, 31 off 9 balls...amazing stuff. Feel a little sorry for Henriques who got smacked a bit but the 2 wickets and 43* made it a fairly good day for him I'd say.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Yeah Rogers is very promising. He also smahed the aussies last year in a tour match lol shame he isn't a bit younger. When Hayden and Langer retire, an opening pair of Rogers + Jaques will look nice...

wonder whether this will stop him from getting a baggygreen...

Rogers is short-sighted and colour blind, which means he sometimes struggles to focus on the red ball when it mixes with the background colours.

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned
Also, good to see Matty Elliott back into the runs. Used to love watching him play when I was a kid and he played a fine knock today. What confused me though was Lehmann coming in at 5 when his side needed quick runs much earlier. Ferguson came in and did okay, however Lehmann would've been more appropriate for the job considering his vast experience and ability to put runs on the board in a blink of an eye.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL @ Nicholson. Poor bowling from a man I thought would do better. O`Brien bowled well today I thought.

Rogers is an absolute gun. Has to play Test Cricket for Australia.

sideshowtim

Banned
Nnanden said:
LOL @ Nicholson. Poor bowling from a man I thought would do better. O`Brien bowled well today I thought.

I was sitting there watching Nicholson in the last over. 6 wd 6 6.

I just thought to myself "How the hell did this man play a single match for Australia?".

While I'm disappointed that the Blues lost I was happy that we fielded such a young team. I love how we're looking to the future and giving these talented young guys a chance. The thing that I most love about our domestic comps is seeing the young guys do well.

Alot of people are passionate about their state, I'm more passionate about seeing guys from any state do well as long as I know that they can one day represent Australia!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
It was SA a couple of seasons ago that was fielding sides with similar experience to the NSW side today, Macgill was missed today i reakon, Haddin didn't really have anyone to turn to.

Great to see Elliot in the runs early in the season too, SA could well win the double this season.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nnanden said:

Well Said. That was atrocious bowling, especially from a guy who's played international cricket!!! How good was Borgas' hitting though!!! Simply amazing...

North & Rogers are definetly moving up the fringe players list IMO, and have been doing so for the past two seasons. Rogers has more of a chance of a Baggy green though, North has M. Clarke, Watson, Hodge, Cosgrove, T.Birt & C.Ferguson to contend with.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
age_master said:
Great to see Elliot in the runs early in the season too, SA could well win the double this season.
Foolish IMO. South Australia rest on a few players to see them through, and while it may work occasionally in OD cricket, I can`t see them winning more than half their matches in FC cricket. WA look the goods to me. Excellent pace combination and batting line-up. Lacking a quality spinner mind.

And on Nicholson. He hit his peak a few years ago and can still do okay. But he`s no longer the consistent L&L, cutting force that made him so good.

sideshowtim

Banned
South Australia have a very good side, they have a bunch of quality players without regularly being effected by Australian commitments. Elliott and Blewett are quality players with loads of experience, Ferguson, Cosgrove and Borgas are all excellent up and comers, Lehmann..well...arguably one of the finest SA has ever produced then you've got Manou who is good with the gloves. Gillespie, Rofe and Tait are a very, very good pace combination and then you have the young spin twins Cullen Bailey and Dan Cullen.

I think they have a side that would challenge a few test teams.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
:laugh:

Or the other way is - two has-beens, two unproven youngsters, a 5th-choice keeper, a paceman who`s lost it all, a paceman who`s all over the place, both are injury-prone, a grade-standard medium-fast paceman, two rubbish, inexperienced spinners with huge averages and two over-rated, overweighted batsmen. :p

Either way, your last statement is very invalid.

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned
Nnanden said:
:laugh:

Or the other way is - two has-beens, two unproven youngsters, a 5th-choice keeper, a paceman who`s lost it all, a paceman who`s all over the place, both are injury-prone, a grade-standard medium-fast paceman, two rubbish, inexperienced spinners with huge averages and two over-rated, overweighted batsmen. :p

Either way, your last statement is very invalid.
Blashphemy! Regardless, I feel they will have the strongest team throughout the year, many of the other state teams have their best players off with the Aussie test team.

Cullen Bailey is good with the bat too. Scored a big 100 for SA 2nd XI the other day.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
sideshowtim said:
Blashphemy! Regardless, I feel they will have the strongest team throughout the year, many of the other state teams have their best players off with the Aussie test team.

Cullen Bailey is good with the bat too. Scored a big 100 for SA 2nd XI the other day.
I know, I`ve heard, read, posted much about it.

The Warriors just look too strong for mine, even when their Internationals "leave" (only Langer is currently playing for them).

sideshowtim

Banned
Warriors have a couple of weak links. Losing Casson is going to cost them during in the season, he was a quality player. They are batting beautifully at the moment, and my god they have a strong batting line up (Watch out for a big season by Sean Marsh), but I think their bowling is a little bit unstable....they need a better spinner.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Screw Marsh, Rogers is the way of the future. :p

Seriously though, Rogers, North, Marsh, Voges, Ronchi and Ervine are all quality bats, with Ronchi being a fantastic wicket-keeper. Magoffin, Edmonson and Dorey are an awesome pace trio. All they lack is a quality spinner, and I guess they might look to Heal to see how he goes.