• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australian Domestic Season Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great Birtannia said:
They don't seem to have a lot of faith in Henriques do they? I don't think he bowled at all in the second innings of the last match. Still, under utilising a young player is better than running them into the ground in their first season of FC cricket. It is a sensible approach to ease players in, especially all rounders with the strain of both disciplines.

Good weekend for the keeper batsman.
I think "I'm here to clean ze pool" Henriques is still underage and can only bowl a certain amount of overs in a spell, not too sure if that was the case, but that can be the only reason I can think of, given that he bowled absolutely brilliantly today. Great stuff to see live!

The other reason could be that Haddin is a bad captain, afterall he did keep Casson on, don't see what NSW see in him, every ball he bowled was short.

Hartley was superb with the bat.

Johnners

Mister Wright said:
I think "I'm here to clean ze pool" Henriques is still underage and can only bowl a certain amount of overs in a spell, not too sure if that was the case, but that can be the only reason I can think of, given that he bowled absolutely brilliantly today. Great stuff to see live!

The other reason could be that Haddin is a bad captain, afterall he did keep Casson on, don't see what NSW see in him, every ball he bowled was short.

Hartley was superb with the bat.
Being 19 i didn't think the bowling restrictions per spell applied to Henriques? Even if it was the case though, not bowling him in the afternoon session until 20mins before tea was bad captaincy from Haddin imo. Especially considering Clark & Casson weren't looking anything like taking a wicket.

Agreed on the case of Hartley though, tbh i think he's a marginally better keeper than Haddin, and will definetly stand behind the wickets with a Baggy Green on his Noggin in the future. His batting isn't as spectacular as Gilly's or even Haddin's, but he's no mug with the Bat in Hand, a Century on FC debut is a testament to that.

Mister Wright

Clapo said:
Being 19 i didn't think the bowling restrictions per spell applied to Henriques? Even if it was the case though, not bowling him in the afternoon session until 20mins before tea was bad captaincy from Haddin imo. Especially considering Clark & Casson weren't looking anything like taking a wicket.

Agreed on the case of Hartley though, tbh i think he's a marginally better keeper than Haddin, and will definetly stand behind the wickets with a Baggy Green on his Noggin in the future. His batting isn't as spectacular as Gilly's or even Haddin's, but he's no mug with the Bat in Hand, a Century on FC debut is a testament to that.
Can't remember if the bowling restrictions go to U/21, I don't think so, but year poor captaincy by Haddin - that's for sure. Boy, I was impressed with Henriques though. Poetic action, splendid line and length. One to watch that's for sure.

On Hartley. I was just impressed with the maturity of his innings. He came in at a tricky situation and built a platform with Hopes, and then when Casson came on to bowl his tripe, he treated it with distain, but kept the odd reasonable ball out. He was the only batsman who really looked to have Henriques under control, but of course Henriques got him in the end.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
good to see Henriques getting a 5 wicket haul, just needs to keep it up @ domestic level with bat & ball & we could well and see him in Australian colours by the end of 2007.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
good to see Henriques getting a 5 wicket haul, just needs to keep it up @ domestic level with bat & ball & we could well and see him in Australian colours by the end of 2007.
Perhaps a bit premature there. Australia rarely debut anyone before 23-24 unless there's a major vacancy in the side or they make a really strong case. Unless he absolutely dominates for NSW, it'll be several years before he'll play for Australia.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Gosh what a debut for Henriques...! If he can perform more and replace Watson that would be great :p

I'm confused because I thought he was going to TAS this year? Or next year? Or maybe it was someone else...

Difficult to explain the double Jaques failure...

Wish the game was on TV dammit!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Perhaps a bit premature there. Australia rarely debut anyone before 23-24 unless there's a major vacancy in the side or they make a really strong case. Unless he absolutely dominates for NSW, it'll be several years before he'll play for Australia.
well thats true that not many Australian young starts debut so young, but are going into a transition period right now with may big guns likely to be gone by the end of 2007 anyway. I dont think he will play test cricket for Australia by the end of 2007 but as i said once he keeps improving i can really see him in the ODI side by the next VB series.

howardj

International Coach
Saw the birth of a champion yesterday - Moises Henriques.

Was awesome to watch him live.

He gets in very close to the stumps, and gets real movement through the air.

andyc

Alysum said:
Gosh what a debut for Henriques...! If he can perform more and replace Watson that would be great :p
Actually, it wasn't his debut, though it was only his second game. Disappointed to see him out for a duck today though. Still, his 5 and 0 managed to outscore Jaques for the match.

Mister Wright

Casson making up for his shocking bowling with some gritty lower order batting. Every run now for NSW is crucial.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Been a good debut for Swan. For those who went to the game, what's he like?

Looks like a good finish on the cards too, with a chase of 300 odd.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Been a good debut for Swan. For those who went to the game, what's he like?

Looks like a good finish on the cards too, with a chase of 300 odd.
He's tall and has a handy action. Didn't look too quick, but bowls a really good line and length, which is shown by the amount of maidens he bowls. He's 28 though, so not sure what future lies ahead for him.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
He's tall and has a handy action. Didn't look too quick, but bowls a really good line and length, which is shown by the amount of maidens he bowls. He's 28 though, so not sure what future lies ahead for him.
Fair enough. If he's not sharp and 28 I doubt he'll get anywhere unless he has a freakishly good season like Dorey. Still, could be solid backup for the state once Bichel and Kasprowicz move on.

andyc

Great last wicket partnership there for NSW, with Casson making his second FC 50, and him and Bollinger putting on 68. Went from a target of 250 odd to a target of 324, which makes it a lot more interesting.

Mister Wright

Yeah, very disapoining that we couldn't clean up the tail. Should have been chasing low 200 total, but now 300+ will be tough to chase. Need to lose no wickets tonight, that's for sure.

Mister Wright

Didn't need MacGill. Queensland gifting NSW about 5 wickets. The game was lost when we let the tail put on about 124. Terrible start to the Pura Cup defence for QLD. Will need to regroup and get rid of a few like Nash for our next outing away against W.A.