• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australian Domestic Season Thread

sideshowtim

Banned
Matt79 said:
I was about to say that, as Shippard maintains, Lewis is unlucky to have been culled from the international squad so quickly.
Probably, if there is one bad thing about the Aussie team is, as a new bowler you aren't given the chance to settle in - one or two bad performances at the start and you're pretty much goneskis. Speaks for our depth I think.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sideshowtim said:
Yeah something to do with his ribs. New openers seemed to do okay though. Not sure why Blewett isn't playing though.
Blewett isn't in the FC side anymore, or at least wasn't at the end of the last season. His form in FC has been dismal for S.A. in recent years, so they are giving the younger guys a go.

Mister Wright

sideshowtim said:
His technique has been compared to Mark Waugh's...which means he should be great to watch. Would make a side on batting or bowling alone apparently...Just can't wait till he gets more games under his belt because he is a very exciting prospect...never since Clarke or maybe even Ponting has this much hype surrounded a player.

Happy that Henriques got a wicket but disappointed it had to be Cosgrove because I always like to see him do well.
At least Ponting's hype was justified.

Johnners

I honestly don't know how Lewis got picked in the 1st place. His List A stats are hardly anything special, and he's really only had 1good season with the ball, in 2004/2005, and had shown not much else before that. Bichel, who so often has been overlooked by the selectors despite being 1 of the top 3 Domestic bowlers consistently, would've been a far better option.

Mister Wright

Clapo said:
I honestly don't know how Lewis got picked in the 1st place. His List A stats are hardly anything special, and he's really only had 1good season with the ball, in 2004/2005, and had shown not much else before that. Bichel, who so often has been overlooked by the selectors despite being 1 of the top 3 Domestic bowlers consistently, would've been a far better option.
It's because the Victorians continually moan that they don't have anyone other than Warne in the international sides. I'm sorry, but if you don't have players good enough, they shouldn't be selected.

Perm

Victoria still need about 170 runs to make Western Australia bat again, I'm sensing a pretty easy win for WA here. Pretty static in the other game, could go either way. Great to see Henriques get his maiden first class wicket, so much hype surrounding him I hope it doesn't go to his head.

sideshowtim

Banned
Mister Wright said:
At least Ponting's hype was justified.
How can you say that Clarke's hype has not yet been justified? He's still relatively young and has achieved alot in the one day version of the game at least. Give him a bit more of a chance, I think he's proven many a time that he is a quality player.

Decent figures for Henriques. 2/59 on debut, I'd take that :)

Mister Wright

sideshowtim said:
How can you say that Clarke's hype has not yet been justified? He's still relatively young and has achieved alot in the one day version of the game at least. Give him a bit more of a chance, I think he's proven many a time that he is a quality player.

Decent figures for Henriques. 2/59 on debut, I'd take that :)
I was talking about his hype before he was selected. He had/has a very ordinary first class record and only came to note because of one good innings and because he was from NSW. It's not like he was scorcing domestic runs like Ponting was before he was selected. There were a lot of other batsman in domestic cricket who had better records and more consistency who should have been selected ahead of him.

We saw what he was made of at international level. Very dodgy outside the offstump and to cavalier for test cricket. You'll notice the more successful cavalier batsman in test cricket had wonderful defensive techniques - Viv Richards is a fine example.

sideshowtim

Banned
God dammit, NSW already one down. Mail gone. 1/8.

Ed Cowan in, he is one to watch, he has done some big things in his career already, he hammered a double ton in Sydney grade the other week...Unfortunate that he hasn't had too many chances for the Blues.

Last edited:

sideshowtim

Banned
Cowan gone for 49 on the stroke of tea..How irritating. Jaques doing well as always though, if he keeps scoring runs dont count out the selectors slipping him in the middle order for the Ashes.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
The Vics are only 50 odd behind with 7 wickets left on the final day so looks like that one will end up a draw.

I'm open to Jaques in the middle order for the Ashes however having 5 left handers in the batting line up is a risk after the last series in England. I just noticed Jaques first class average, 8357 runs @ 58.44, I didn't realise his record was that good.

sideshowtim

Banned
Yeah...he's pretty unlucky, only in Australia can you average 58 in First-Class cricket and not get a walk up spot to the team..A comforting fact for me though is we have guys like Jaques and Rogers who constantly perform so well at FC level to come into the side when Langer and Hayden go. Hopefully the transition will be rather seemless...

Perm

Half centuries to Mash, White and Hussey leave Victoria only about ten runs away from making WA bat again. The Western Australia bowlers will really want a good start tomorrow so they can hopefully wrap up a comfortable win.

Phil Jaques leading the way for NSW in the other game, good to see him in the runs.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Perm said:
Half centuries to Mash, White and Hussey leave Victoria only about ten runs away from making WA bat again. The Western Australia bowlers will really want a good start tomorrow so they can hopefully wrap up a comfortable win.

Phil Jaques leading the way for NSW in the other game, good to see him in the runs.
I'm pretty sure today is the last day of the Vic vs WA game.

Johnners

Phil Jaques has picked up where he left off last season, currently on 131 from just 161 deliveries. Langer will want to be on top of his game come ashes time or he could well find himself out of favour with Jaques again in blistering form.

It doesn't do much for the International prospects of Gillespie or Tait either

sideshowtim

Banned
The guy never stops scoring runs, I don't know how much longer they can leave him out of the test team for. A great batsman bats well anywhere and I believe Jaques is a great batsman, our middle order would be so much stronger with him as a part of it. He's on 146* now :)