• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09***

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Young cricketers on the way up
Newstalk ZB - July 15, 2008, 1:31 pm

Northern Districts has included a trio of exciting young players in its twelve contracted players for the upcoming domestic cricket season.

New Zealand Under-19 captain Kane Williamson, left arm pace bowler Trent Boult and Australian born batsman Cameron Merchant are three of six new names on the Knights list. Merchant has a New Zealand mother and therefore qualifies to play for New Zealand.

Three experienced campaigners in Bradley Scott, Michael Parlane and Simon Andrew are also new names.
I think we'll see abit more of Kane Williamson this coming season with the likes of Flynn and possibly Marshall away with the NZ team.

Polo23

International Debutant
Good to see Cameron Merchant get an ND contract. We need to keep this bloke in NZ. I have no problem in poaching one of Manly's finest. When he came to NZ they said he would be playing for the BlackCaps within a seasons time..it probably wont work out like that but from what I hear he definitely has the talent.

I'm surprised Fraser Colson didnt get a contract..he looked probably the second best NZ batsman at the U19 WC behind Corey Anderson. Still plenty of time I suppose.

Is it just me or there far more really good youngsters coming through lately than in previous years?

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
The six Major Associations have today released the list of players offered contracts for the 2008/09 season.

The players offered contracts are:

Auckland
Michael Bates
Andrew De Boorder
Colin De Grandhomme
Martin Guptill
Roneel Hira
Paul Hitchcock
Richard Jones
Tim McIntosh
Andrew McKay
Rob Nicol
Lance Shaw
Reece Young

Canterbury
Corey Anderson
Todd Astle
Hamish Bennett
Leighton Burtt
Andrew Ellis
Brandon Hiini
Johann Myburgh
Michael Papps
Iain Robertson
Shanan Stewart
Kruger Van Wyk
(plus one to be added)

Central Districts
Brendon Diamanti
Bevan Griggs
Greg Hay
Brent Hefford
Peter Ingram
Tim Lythe
Mitchell McClenaghan
Robbie Schaw
Richard Sherlock
Mathew Sinclair
Ewen Thompson
Tim Weston

Northern Districts
Graeme Aldridge
Simon Andrews
Brent Arnel
Trent Boult
Bruce Martin
Peter McGlashan
Cameron Merchant
Michael Parlane
Bradley Scott
BJ Watling
Kane Williamson
Joseph Yovich

Otago
Derek de Border
Neil Broom
Ian Butler
Craig Cumming
Mathew Harvie
Nathan McCullum
James McMillan
Warren McSkimming
Leighton Morgan
Craig Smith
Greg Todd
Neil Wagner

Wellington
Matthew Bell
Harry Boam
Dewayne Bowden
Josh Brodie
Michael Burns
BJ Crook
Grant Elliott
Kevin Forde
Mark Houghton
Chris Nevin
Neal Parlane
Luke Woodcoc
Full list of players who have been offered contracts. Interesting to note that Ian Butler has been offered one by Otago.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, cushions the loss of Scott a bit, although who knows what Butler is like these days. Neil Wagner I know absolutely nothing about, but Leighton Morgan is an advertisement for all the young kids playing out in the backblocks of Central Otago - he has played for Otago Country for the last couple of seasons. Aside from that, no surprises in the Otago team.

Polo23

International Debutant
Yeah, cushions the loss of Scott a bit, although who knows what Butler is like these days.
I believe he now bowls medium pace and bats in the middle/lower order. Which is good, him being quick was a myth anyway.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Is it expected that Shreck will return for another season? when do the overseas players usually get announced?

Polo23

International Debutant
Is it expected that Shreck will return for another season? when do the overseas players usually get announced?
No idea...Shreck has been playing cricket here for a few seasons though, I don't see why he wouldnt next season. Napier also played last season, hopefully he will return...atleast the the State Shield and T20's.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'll be interested to see if Sinclair takes up that contract. I've heard some talk to suggest he might decline if offered.

Polo23

International Debutant
Hamish was obviously a very different case as he had actually been offered a NZC contract; Sinclair has not. Would you blame the guy if he did go to England?
Why should Sinclair have been offered a NZC contract?

He was given the whole Bangladesh series, then the whole England series to cement his spot in the NZ side. He failed miserably. Unless you think an average of 18.38 in 8 innings deserves a NZC contract?

I wouldnt blame him for going to England, he doesnt make the cut at test level so I can understand him securing his financial future completely. Likewise with Hamish Marshall.

Natman20

International Debutant
Why should Sinclair have been offered a NZC contract?

He was given the whole Bangladesh series, then the whole England series to cement his spot in the NZ side. He failed miserably. Unless you think an average of 18.38 in 8 innings deserves a NZC contract?

I wouldnt blame him for going to England, he doesnt make the cut at test level so I can understand him securing his financial future completely. Likewise with Hamish Marshall.
Sinclair scoring consistently at domestic level above most other challengers should be enough to get him a contract IMO. He IMO has always looked to be more of a talent than most have said and I think give him a couple more he'll be right into it. He was totally picked on by everyone because he was previously dropped for a long period of time in which he should have been playing and the expectations were very high. IMO he would be a better choice than some of the newbies.

Polo23

International Debutant
Sinclair scoring consistently at domestic level above most other challengers should be enough to get him a contract IMO. He IMO has always looked to be more of a talent than most have said and I think give him a couple more he'll be right into it. He was totally picked on by everyone because he was previously dropped for a long period of time in which he should have been playing and the expectations were very high. IMO he would be a better choice than some of the newbies.
I think we understand that it is your opinion. After all you are the one talking.

Sinclair had 32 tests and 53 ODI's to cement his place. A couple more tests and you think he would have come right?! Why would he suddenly start performing after 34 tests?

Scoring consistently at domestic level means absolutely nothing when batting in a test match, ask Graeme Hick and Mark Ramprakash.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scott is a big loss for Otago, been their best bowler over the past few seasons, and from all accounts, isn't as prone to breaking down as some of his fast-bowling team mates. Great to see Leighton Morgan in the squad too, and I'd look out for Nic Turner and Matthew Harvie this season. Reckon they've got something about them.

Natman20

International Debutant
32 tests at an average of 32.55 for Sinclair 3 centuries (2 of them double centuries) and 4 50s is not the worst stats. Taking a look at his career innings list yes he has hardly been able to score over 10 his whole career but I still have faith that he would clock up another 200 again. He is likely to do better than Flynn.