• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09***

Flem274*

123/5
No flem i mean the NZ domestic teams,they did not name any ICL players.
Strange. They were allowed to play last season when available. My guess is they aren't contracted because they won't be available for the whole season (though they were available for most of it last year and I'd expect the same this year), much like the NZ reps. They'll contract those with 100% availability first I'd imagine.

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have a hunch ND could be in the running for a FC trophy next season. They have some good peices, its converting the names to performances that we'll have to wait and see on. ND has an allrounder btw: Mark Orchard. I'm sure he fills you with confidence. :p

A side of Parlane, Watling, Merchant, Marshall, Flynn, McGlashan, Orchard, Martin, Scott, Arnel, Boult, isn't too bad actualy. Bats down to 9. Alot depends on the bowlers though.

Suspect Sinclair and Hay will enjoy some big partnerships together for CD. If Weston continues last seasons form then our 3-4-5 is right up there in my highly biased opinion.

WRT Merchant: If he averages say, 60, 70, 80 etc next season, and jumps the queue (spelling nazis I will kill you) ahead of more proven fringe players such as Fulton, Flynn, Hay and probably Myburgh (if he's qualified) then I won't be surprised, but I'm not sure I'll agree with it considering the amazing amount of one season wonders floating around, not that I'm accussing Merchant of being one, but it is a risk I hope the selectors keep in mind.

If he's ever done some opening with any success however then I wouldn't be entirely against it, provided he isn't a Hay-esque opener i.e. will likely be better in the middle order.

Actualy, thinking about openers, who reckons Flynn will get pushed up? I wouldn't be surprised, we love trying to make openers out of relatively inexperienced players on the international stage (Vincent, Sinclair and Fulton spring to mind).
Mark turned down an ND contract to concentrate on his marketing career

Natman20

International Debutant
NZ emerging players took on the Queensland Bulls.

Queensland 310/6 dec (Love 107, Perren 59, Simpson 43no) and 205/6 dec (Harris 60no, Kruger 43, Nye 41, Simpson 29no)
defeated New Zealand 204/6 (Ryder 63, Schaw 37) and 248 (Anderson 69, Ryder 60).

Ryder striking two half centuries is good but not going on. Anderson again showing form. Obviously no great bowling performances. Don't know where to find full scorecards.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Super idea. Nothing worse than concrete jungles like Eden Park and Lancaster Park/AMI Stadium hosting tests - the places look so empty.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's fantastic.

Would love to see the same thing happen in Auckland. Not sure if there's anywhere suitable though - maybe Albany.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure where to post this, so this will have to do. Our U19 team (minus Boult and Anderson), is making a better fist of their second test against the England U19's, reaching 323/7 at the end of day one. George Worker made 96 and Kane Williamson 75, while Greg Morgan is on 47 not out.

brockley

International Captain
Guys.
Whats the talk in NZ about being involved in australia's 20/20 domestic competition,is their much talk in nz about it.

Natman20

International Debutant
U-19 NZ v. Eng - Second Youth Test

NZ - 372
G Worker 96, K Williamson 75, G Morgan 81

Eng - 402
D Bracewell 3-73

NZ - 302
K Williamson 151, H Boam 68

Eng - 246/7
N Beard 5-64

Match Drawn

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Wow. Imagine that. How much iz NZC forking out to get overseas players in? As poor as they are, obviously they can still afford a few overseas players.

Silver Arrow

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wow. Imagine that. How much iz NZC forking out to get overseas players in? As poor as they are, obviously they can still afford a few overseas players.
NZ Cricket won't be forking out for it, the Otago Association will be. Same as ND did for Strauss last season. I had heard that ND were trying to sign Mascarenhas too.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZ Cricket won't be forking out for it, the Otago Association will be. Same as ND did for Strauss last season. I had heard that ND were trying to sign Mascarenhas too.
Bingo. Nothing to do with NZ Cricket.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Damn, why did you people have to go and quote Leslie? My IQ just went down a few points :(

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Damn, why did you people have to go and quote Leslie? My IQ just went down a few points :(
So its an idiotic post to assume that money gained from NZC gets filtered down to their domestic competition? Where do the money come from aside from handouts from NZC? (genuine enquiry)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Local assocations can arrange their own sponsorship/backing. That's how the likes of Graeme Hick ended up here playing for ND 20 years ago. They are NOT centrally contracted players in the same sense as most other players in each team - it's entirely the local association's decision to bring them in and - as such - the money has to be found by the association to cover their deal/expenses.