• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09***

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, cushions the loss of Scott a bit, although who knows what Butler is like these days. Neil Wagner I know absolutely nothing about, but Leighton Morgan is an advertisement for all the young kids playing out in the backblocks of Central Otago - he has played for Otago Country for the last couple of seasons. Aside from that, no surprises in the Otago team.
Wagner’s a South African left armer from provincial cricket (Northerns). He recently toured with the South African academy to Bangladesh and did nothing of note other than show dissent towards the officiating umpires. Apparently, Neil now harbours hopes of representing New Zealand within three years (after being unable to secure a Kolpak contract in the UK).

Leslie1

U19 Captain
32 tests at an average of 32.55 for Sinclair 3 centuries (2 of them double centuries) and 4 50s is not the worst stats. Taking a look at his career innings list yes he has hardly been able to score over 10 his whole career but I still have faith that he would clock up another 200 again. He is likely to do better than Flynn.

Right. Please elaborate on how you came to that conclusion, considering one has the most perfect start to his test career but failed to capitalize, and the other is just finding his feet at international level. Next you'll be telling me Sinclair is a better international prospect than Fulton, whom he will be competing with if Sinclair decides it's worth another shot.

I'm not sure where this one goes, but Ryder is doing relatively well in Emerging players tour.

Polo23

International Debutant
32 tests at an average of 32.55 for Sinclair 3 centuries (2 of them double centuries) and 4 50s is not the worst stats. Taking a look at his career innings list yes he has hardly been able to score over 10 his whole career but I still have faith that he would clock up another 200 again. He is likely to do better than Flynn.
Even if he did clock up another 200 soon what good would that do? He may put us in a winning position for one test then he will fail the next 20 times. Why would we want a batsman so inconsistent?

"He is likely to do better than Flynn" - based on what?

At HOME Sinclair scored 71 runs against England @ 11.83 in 6 innings and looked WAY out of his depth.

In ENGLAND Flynn scored 91 runs @ 30.33 in 5 innings and looked solid...helped us draw a test at Lords, and despite not making a big score looked far more assured than Sinclair ever did.

So your comment of "He is likely to do better than Flynn" simply is not true.

Natman20

International Debutant
Even if he did clock up another 200 soon what good would that do? He may put us in a winning position for one test then he will fail the next 20 times. Why would we want a batsman so inconsistent?

"He is likely to do better than Flynn" - based on what?

At HOME Sinclair scored 71 runs against England @ 11.83 in 6 innings and looked WAY out of his depth.

In ENGLAND Flynn scored 91 runs @ 30.33 in 5 innings and looked solid...helped us draw a test at Lords, and despite not making a big score looked far more assured than Sinclair ever did.

So your comment of "He is likely to do better than Flynn" simply is not true.
Ok I conceed. I am just dissapointed Sinclair didn't achieve to the level I thought he could of. The Flynn comment was based on his random selection. A couple good innings in one season doesn't make him the next to be put in. TBH he came from nowhere and jumped into the que ahead of Hay, Ingram and more. He probably will prove me wrong, ODI team maybe, tests I have my doubts.

Polo23

International Debutant
Ok I conceed. I am just dissapointed Sinclair didn't achieve to the level I thought he could of. The Flynn comment was based on his random selection. A couple good innings in one season doesn't make him the next to be put in. TBH he came from nowhere and jumped into the que ahead of Hay, Ingram and more. He probably will prove me wrong, ODI team maybe, tests I have my doubts.
It seems to me Flynn was picked because of two things, he had a great season, and the selectors saw his technique as the best to deal with English conditions. From all reports (I havnt seen him play) Hay is more of a back foot player. Sits on the back foot and waits for the short ball, I believe the selectors went with someone who was more adept on the front foot, which is why Flynn was selected. Him being left handed probably helped also.

I like what I saw of him. England's bowling attack is very good in English conditions and he looked solid against them. His temperament seemed sound and he looks to have a calm head on his shoulders. I think it showed a lot coming back straight away from losing his teeth. All in all I think it was a pretty good debut series in what is probably the most nerve racking debut series you could have. Hopefully he goes from strength to strength, out of all the recent inexperienced test batsmen we have used (Sinclair, Fulton, Redmond, Bell) he has looked the most assured by far.

I'm also keen to see Hay get a callup. 2 seasons of averaging 45+ in NZ is a pretty handy effort. Hopefully he starts getting a few runs in this emerging players tourny.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Wow, Anderson is just going from strength to strength, I'm betting we'll see a lot more of him for Canterbury next season. Pity that it sounds like he's let his bowling go a little bit, but another top class left hand batsman is always welcome anyway.
I do wonder how strong this emerging players' tournament is in depths of players sent, I know NZ side is pretty strong with Franklin and Ryder in there, but not sure about India and South Africa. OZ has depth to burn anyways.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I'm also keen to see Hay get a callup. 2 seasons of averaging 45+ in NZ is a pretty handy effort. Hopefully he starts getting a few runs in this emerging players tourny.
I think Hay is probably a better bet to replace Fulton if he continues his rut of form this season. Certainly if we had to pick a squad for the Champions Trophy, these would be the players I'd pick:

Ryder, How, McCullum (openers)
Flynn, Taylor, Fulton (number 3s)
Styris, Hay, Elliot (middle order)
Franklin, Oram, Vettori (all rounders)
Mills, Southee, Patel, Gillespie (bowlers)

I hope the "ex-pats" who qualify for Black Caps step up to at least give the players' pool more quality to pick from.

Polo23

International Debutant
I do wonder how strong this emerging players' tournament is in depths of players sent, I know NZ side is pretty strong with Franklin and Ryder in there, but not sure about India and South Africa. OZ has depth to burn anyways.
The Indian side is incredibly strong. 95% of them played in the IPL and almost all of them are regulars for their FC teams. The other teams there will do well to beat them.

I'm not entirely sure about the South African side..but again they all look like very solid FC cricketers.

All in all the sides consist of mainly cricketers who the selectors think will one day represent their country, so i'd say the competition will be pretty strong.

brockley

International Captain
No ICL players,have they been banned now.
Surprised cam merchant staying in NZ,thought he would head back to NSW for a crack.
I guess not many aussies coming down to NZ this seems a fairly new phenominen.
At least he lasts 1 year more than dutchie holland did :laugh: .

Natman20

International Debutant
Worldwide search for new black caps coach

Looking for candidates across the world and Vaughn said they want candidates to help win ODI tournaments but the thing that strikes me as annoying is that he said "and improve test performances" why not say to make a winning test team. Its like hes saying yep we'll continue focusing on ODIs and tests we'll try to improve but takes a backseat.

I have a suspicion the John Wright doesn't want the job. Why search the world when theres someone very capable in your own backyard?

James

Cricket Web Owner
That doesn't mean you just hand John Wright the position. Who know's who might be interested from other countries.

If we're perfectly honest, ODI cricket has always meant more to the average NZ cricket fan than Test cricket has and Vaughan is being up front about it.

Polo23

International Debutant
Corey Anderson is looking impressive. Did Trent Boult play?
He didn't play the first game but he is playing the game at the moment. The site doesnt have the bowling scorecard but I can tell you he has two wickets after 19 overs of the Aussie innings.

Polo23

International Debutant

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I think I finally figured it out... type in emerging in the search box, then click on 'Customise' to make the webpage into a emerging players tournament 'skin'.

Then you'll be redirected back into the homepage in which you select matches and the match bet nz and oz should be there.

Annoying website, but the only one with live (ish) updates.

Polo23

International Debutant
Yeah, it isnt that difficult to figure out. You just have to 'customise' it to the emerging players tournament.