Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official New Zealand Domestic Season 2008/09***

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Natman20 View Post
    Sinclair scoring consistently at domestic level above most other challengers should be enough to get him a contract IMO. He IMO has always looked to be more of a talent than most have said and I think give him a couple more he'll be right into it. He was totally picked on by everyone because he was previously dropped for a long period of time in which he should have been playing and the expectations were very high. IMO he would be a better choice than some of the newbies.
    I think we understand that it is your opinion. After all you are the one talking.

Sinclair had 32 tests and 53 ODI's to cement his place. A couple more tests and you think he would have come right?! Why would he suddenly start performing after 34 tests?

Scoring consistently at domestic level means absolutely nothing when batting in a test match, ask Graeme Hick and Mark Ramprakash.

Agree with Polo23 myself, have a look at this recent test performances too. Hasn't shown anything at international level to deserve a contract in quite some time:

http://www.cricketweb.net/statsspide...943-Test-1.php

and as Polo23 said, he was given the chance against Bangladesh and England and failed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Scott is a big loss for Otago, been their best bowler over the past few seasons, and from all accounts, isn't as prone to breaking down as some of his fast-bowling team mates. Great to see Leighton Morgan in the squad too, and I'd look out for Nic Turner and Matthew Harvie this season. Reckon they've got something about them.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    32 tests at an average of 32.55 for Sinclair 3 centuries (2 of them double centuries) and 4 50s is not the worst stats. Taking a look at his career innings list yes he has hardly been able to score over 10 his whole career but I still have faith that he would clock up another 200 again. He is likely to do better than Flynn.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    O Rly? Maybe against Bangladesh or a Taylor-less West Indies.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Yeah, cushions the loss of Scott a bit, although who knows what Butler is like these days. Neil Wagner I know absolutely nothing about, but Leighton Morgan is an advertisement for all the young kids playing out in the backblocks of Central Otago - he has played for Otago Country for the last couple of seasons. Aside from that, no surprises in the Otago team.
    Wagner’s a South African left armer from provincial cricket (Northerns). He recently toured with the South African academy to Bangladesh and did nothing of note other than show dissent towards the officiating umpires. Apparently, Neil now harbours hopes of representing New Zealand within three years (after being unable to secure a Kolpak contract in the UK).

School Boy/Girl Captain
    im backing mr butler to do well down south, he'll get more game time thats for sure

U19 Captain
    32 tests at an average of 32.55 for Sinclair 3 centuries (2 of them double centuries) and 4 50s is not the worst stats. Taking a look at his career innings list yes he has hardly been able to score over 10 his whole career but I still have faith that he would clock up another 200 again. He is likely to do better than Flynn.

Right. Please elaborate on how you came to that conclusion, considering one has the most perfect start to his test career but failed to capitalize, and the other is just finding his feet at international level. Next you'll be telling me Sinclair is a better international prospect than Fulton, whom he will be competing with if Sinclair decides it's worth another shot.

I'm not sure where this one goes, but Ryder is doing relatively well in Emerging players tour.
    http://allblacklineout.com

The Vettori brain massage session:

@#!@#@#$#@$ !@#@!#!@~ YEA EAT THAT!! !@#~!@!@#!@#

International Debutant
    Even if he did clock up another 200 soon what good would that do? He may put us in a winning position for one test then he will fail the next 20 times. Why would we want a batsman so inconsistent?

"He is likely to do better than Flynn" - based on what?

At HOME Sinclair scored 71 runs against England @ 11.83 in 6 innings and looked WAY out of his depth.

In ENGLAND Flynn scored 91 runs @ 30.33 in 5 innings and looked solid...helped us draw a test at Lords, and despite not making a big score looked far more assured than Sinclair ever did.

So your comment of "He is likely to do better than Flynn" simply is not true.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Wow, Anderson is just going from strength to strength, I'm betting we'll see a lot more of him for Canterbury next season. Pity that it sounds like he's let his bowling go a little bit, but another top class left hand batsman is always welcome anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    Even if he did clock up another 200 soon what good would that do? He may put us in a winning position for one test then he will fail the next 20 times. Why would we want a batsman so inconsistent?

"He is likely to do better than Flynn" - based on what?

At HOME Sinclair scored 71 runs against England @ 11.83 in 6 innings and looked WAY out of his depth.

In ENGLAND Flynn scored 91 runs @ 30.33 in 5 innings and looked solid...helped us draw a test at Lords, and despite not making a big score looked far more assured than Sinclair ever did.

So your comment of "He is likely to do better than Flynn" simply is not true.
    Ok I conceed. I am just dissapointed Sinclair didn't achieve to the level I thought he could of. The Flynn comment was based on his random selection. A couple good innings in one season doesn't make him the next to be put in. TBH he came from nowhere and jumped into the que ahead of Hay, Ingram and more. He probably will prove me wrong, ODI team maybe, tests I have my doubts.

International Debutant
    Ok I conceed. I am just dissapointed Sinclair didn't achieve to the level I thought he could of. The Flynn comment was based on his random selection. A couple good innings in one season doesn't make him the next to be put in. TBH he came from nowhere and jumped into the que ahead of Hay, Ingram and more. He probably will prove me wrong, ODI team maybe, tests I have my doubts.
    It seems to me Flynn was picked because of two things, he had a great season, and the selectors saw his technique as the best to deal with English conditions. From all reports (I havnt seen him play) Hay is more of a back foot player. Sits on the back foot and waits for the short ball, I believe the selectors went with someone who was more adept on the front foot, which is why Flynn was selected. Him being left handed probably helped also.

I like what I saw of him. England's bowling attack is very good in English conditions and he looked solid against them. His temperament seemed sound and he looks to have a calm head on his shoulders. I think it showed a lot coming back straight away from losing his teeth. All in all I think it was a pretty good debut series in what is probably the most nerve racking debut series you could have. Hopefully he goes from strength to strength, out of all the recent inexperienced test batsmen we have used (Sinclair, Fulton, Redmond, Bell) he has looked the most assured by far.

I'm also keen to see Hay get a callup. 2 seasons of averaging 45+ in NZ is a pretty handy effort. Hopefully he starts getting a few runs in this emerging players tourny.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Wow, Anderson is just going from strength to strength, I'm betting we'll see a lot more of him for Canterbury next season. Pity that it sounds like he's let his bowling go a little bit, but another top class left hand batsman is always welcome anyway.
    I do wonder how strong this emerging players' tournament is in depths of players sent, I know NZ side is pretty strong with Franklin and Ryder in there, but not sure about India and South Africa. OZ has depth to burn anyways.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo23 View Post
    I'm also keen to see Hay get a callup. 2 seasons of averaging 45+ in NZ is a pretty handy effort. Hopefully he starts getting a few runs in this emerging players tourny.
    I think Hay is probably a better bet to replace Fulton if he continues his rut of form this season. Certainly if we had to pick a squad for the Champions Trophy, these would be the players I'd pick:

Ryder, How, McCullum (openers)
    Flynn, Taylor, Fulton (number 3s)
    Styris, Hay, Elliot (middle order)
    Franklin, Oram, Vettori (all rounders)
    Mills, Southee, Patel, Gillespie (bowlers)

I hope the "ex-pats" who qualify for Black Caps step up to at least give the players' pool more quality to pick from.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie1 View Post
    I do wonder how strong this emerging players' tournament is in depths of players sent, I know NZ side is pretty strong with Franklin and Ryder in there, but not sure about India and South Africa. OZ has depth to burn anyways.
    The Indian side is incredibly strong. 95% of them played in the IPL and almost all of them are regulars for their FC teams. The other teams there will do well to beat them.

I'm not entirely sure about the South African side..but again they all look like very solid FC cricketers.

All in all the sides consist of mainly cricketers who the selectors think will one day represent their country, so i'd say the competition will be pretty strong.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information