• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most unpopular cricketer from each country?

Langeveldt

Soutie
To counter the other thread, this is based on people disliking their own.. Not the most disliked cricketers in general.. I'll have a poor stab at it..

Australia - Symonds
England - Harmison
India - Ganguly
New Zealand - Vettori
South Africa - Smith
West Indies - Morton

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To counter the other thread, this is based on people disliking their own.. Not the most disliked cricketers in general.. I'll have a poor stab at it..

Australia - Symonds
England - Harmison
India - Ganguly
New Zealand - Vettori
South Africa - Smith
West Indies - Morton
Dunno about Vettori. Scott Styris has gotta be up there after those texts. Morton is more to be laughed at than hated IMO, but you may well be right.

I presume you were too spoilt for choice to do Pakistan?

Uppercut

I genuinely don't know.. I personally think Asif and Shoaib are ****'s, but from what I've heard, aren't they pretty much celebrated still?
Probably, judging from the crowds that greeted them after their respective misdemeanours. I think theyre ****s too, but i enjoy watching them. Let's not forget about Afridi either though...

Burgey

Maybe before yesterday.

Dunno about the Pakistani nominee - Asif after yesterday would have firmed to favouritism, but Afridi might be in the running with Shoaib.

Let's face it, most countries have a few players who could be nominated.

Mr Mxyzptlk

If it's about a player that the fans plainly do not want in the side, I'd hope Mohammad Sami factors closely.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The (White) South Africans who dislike Graeme Smith are usually the same rednecks who dislike Jon Smit and whenever both men lead SA to victory, it is always a victory in spite of them despite the fact that both men probably had a great hand in the win.

Aside from Smith, Jacques Kallis isn't universally liked within South Africa and of course KP.

It must be something in the water over there which makes them dislike anyone who is half decent

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
For dislike of personality, it'd be Styris, who seems to be the first to whinge about anything, and also appears a bit soft.

For dislike of their presence in the team, the Marshall twins take this in a canter.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Symonds is absolutely adored by Australians. CW is far from a representation of the average Australian cricket fan. Symonds is equal with Ponting as Australia's most popular cricketer, you just have to be at the ground for a match to realise that.

Here's my crack from one's OWN fan's perspective.

Australia - Shane Watson or Stuart MacGill (but he just retired)
England - Harmison
India - I'm not sure, but it ain't Ganguly. Absolutely adored by Indians.
New Zealand - Scott Styris
South Africa - Kallis, though I'm only recently realising that South Africans don't like Graeme Smith.
West Indies - I reckon most crappy fast bowlers would piss WI fans off considering the talent they have seen in previous years, but I can't be sure.
Pakistan - Sami
SL - Dilhara Fernando (surely his ****ness and no ball habit must piss off SL fans)

Last edited:

_Ed_

Might suggest Asif for Pakistan now. Must be so frustrating for fans there to see talent being thrown away like that.

Polo23

International Debutant
Heres from my own perspective:

Australia - Matthew Hayden
England - Monty Panesar
India - Saurav Ganguly
New Zealand - Matthew Sinclair/James Marshall
South Africa - Graeme Smith
West Indies - Tino Best
Pakistan - Mohamed Asif
Sri Lanka - Jehan Mubarak

I know some of them don't play for their country anymore...but they still play so I chose them.

Heres from my own perspective:

Australia - Matthew Hayden
England - Monty Panesar
India - Saurav Ganguly
New Zealand - Matthew Sinclair/James Marshall
South Africa - Graeme Smith
West Indies - Tino Best
Pakistan - Mohamed Asif
Sri Lanka - Jehan Mubarak

I know some of them don't play for their country anymore...but they still play so I chose them.
Australia----------------------Symonds (present) Warne (all time)
Pakistan----------------------Shoaib Akhter (present) Sarfraz Nawaz (past)
India----------------------------Harbajan Singh (a lot of disputes and finally slap on Sreesanth's face)

Sri Lanka--------------------Kaluwithrana
New Zealand--------------- Scot Styris (after his recent comments)
England---------------------Stuart Broad (after 6 sixes in an over) Ian Botham (all time).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
This is based on their own country's fans. I guarantee you Warne was immensely popular here in Australia.

This is based on their own country's fans. I guarantee you Warne was immensely popular here in Australia.
Warne was the only indisciplined player in the previous Australian side. He was involved in most of the scandals and earned bad name for Australia. Did you forget Nurse scandal and the banned substance usage scandal? Asif did the same (banned substance) and is not very popular now in Pakistan. I just wonder if Warne is still liked by the Aussies. Does it mean that *** and drug scandals are not noticeable things in Australia?